Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing exams in mechanical pencil.

• 17-05-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Can I write my exams in mechanical pencil? Essays and everything? Would that lose me any marks?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It won't lose you marks, but examiners hate it.
    Pencil smudges with all the movement of the scripts and the fine ones are very hard to read.
    Blue or black biro is the way to go - never red or green which are colours used at different stages of the marking process.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Well the examiner can't refuse to correct it if it's in pencil but you'd be annoying them greatly by writing essays in pencil, it's not easy to read pencil (especially in low light) and for things like essays there's no good reason why you should. Just use pen, blue or black, if you make a mistake put a single line through it and write the correction.

Even in maths, if you aren't doing diagrams, then I can't see why pencil is necessary. I also find you can write quicker in pen than in pencil.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

spurious wrote: »
    Pencil smudges with all the movement of the scripts and the fine ones are very hard to read.
    Blue or black biro is the way to go - never red or green which are colours used at different stages of the marking process.

Spurious I was wondering if I do the questions which are asked to be answered on the exam paper on extra paper could I be penalised. I hate the Project Maths Squares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Well the examiner can't refuse to correct it if it's in pencil but you'd be annoying them greatly by writing essays in pencil, it's not easy to read pencil (especially in low light) and for things like essays there's no good reason why you should. Just use pen, blue or black, if you make a mistake put a single line through it and write the correction.

Even in maths, if you aren't doing diagrams, then I can't see why pencil is necessary. I also find you can write quicker in pen than in pencil.

What are your opinions on erasable pens? A lot of people say it fades but I've been using them for the year in accounting and maths and they haven't yet? they're extremely handy in accounting!

should they be ok or should I just stick with the normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

reznov wrote: »
    Can I write my exams in mechanical pencil? Essays and everything? Would that lose me any marks?

do not do this, honestly, even if your hand writing is super neat. Go to the stationary store tomorrow and try all the pens you can until you find something super comfortable and get it even if it costs a 5er and get some spare inks for it if you hate biro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Alright thanks both of you! I find mechanical pencil is quicker to write with. But I understand why it may be frowned on from the examiners point of view. It will inevitably lose me marks.

YeahhhFaoiSin, are you actually planning to write anything for Project Maths?

wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Spurious I was wondering if I do the questions which are asked to be answered on the exam paper on extra paper could I be penalised. I hate the Project Maths Squares

It's possible albeit unlikely. At this stage of the year have you not been writing on it plenty? It's not that hard to get used to if you practise

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

ChemHickey wrote: »
    What are your opinions on erasable pens? A lot of people say it fades but I've been using them for the year in accounting and maths and they haven't yet? they're extremely handy in accounting!

I have no idea, as I've never used them! Do they look like normal pen when you write with them? Do they smudge easily?

They're probably ok. For accounting I used to just use a normal black pen, and one of those tippex mouse things - very quick to correct mistakes. I think my teacher advised against using tippex though, but you don't have to wait for the mouse tippex to dry and it's unlikely that the 'tape' will fall off!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't correct Maths, but any of the subjects I have corrected, you would never be penalised for answering on an extra piece of paper rather than the 'intended' space, so I doubt it, but I wouldn't like to chance it, just in case.

It would be a very harsh stance to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Alright thanks both of you! I find mechanical pencil is quicker to write with. But I understand why it may be frowned on from the examiners point of view. It will inevitably lose me marks.

wow.

Pencil smudges and has a distinct lack of contrast.

Blue/Black as already mentioned. Use one for writing and use the other for highlighting.

It will be frowned upon in third level, believe you me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

wow.

I know. Taking a stand against all the people using the cheap circling the question method

I have no idea, as I've never used them! Do they look like normal pen when you write with them? Do they smudge easily?

They're probably ok. For accounting I used to just use a normal black pen, and one of those tippex mouse things - very quick to correct mistakes. I think my teacher advised against using tippex though, but you don't have to wait for the mouse tippex to dry and it's unlikely that the 'tape' will fall off!

Don't use Tippex. If you make an error, just put a single or double line through it (no need to completely obliterate a quarter of the page) and if you must, write 'error' or 'mistake' beside it.

Sometimes wrong answers that were on the right lines can get you the one or two marks that might bring you up a grade, if the examiner can see them.

I know. Taking a stand against all the people using the cheap circling the question method

Man you're braver than I thought.
    I'll pray for you tonight.

Pray for me too.

ChemHickey wrote: »

Yes they're great! you should try them sometime. but there is only one good brand however!

I haven't tried one of those tippex mice for ages! I'll look into it! =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I've been using those tippex mice all year but I'm not using them for any exams. Just a simple line through any mistakes (no scribbling stuff out), so it's still legible. If the corrector can read it and see that you had the right idea it can actually bring you up! :)

I burn any pages with even the slightest mistake.
    Wouldn't want the examiner to form an inadequate impression of my abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I've actually found that I can right neater and also faster (I think) with pencil, so I'm thinking should I do that during the LC in a few weeks? I've heard most examiners hate it, but they're paid to correct exams, no matter what it's written with in fairness. if you prefer pencil, and don't actually lose marks for it, then I'd say do it.

Just don't, ask anyone who has corrected exams, the whole thing being done in pencil would be a serious headache, and nevermind what pencil (which smudges) will look like after weeks of exams being stacked, transported, moved, etc.

Most of my exams in college specifically say that pencil is forbidden (and lecturers say they don't accept pencil), so may as well get used to writing in pen at this stage, writing in pencil is what you're steered away from at an early stage of primary school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

So for quotes in English and stuff you shouldn't write them in red?
    How about highlighting?
    I always highlight mine at the end if I have time but I dont know if its 'right'.

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    I've actually found that I can right neater and also faster (I think) with pencil, so I'm thinking should I do that during the LC in a few weeks? I've heard most examiners hate it, but they're paid to correct exams, no matter what it's written with in fairness. if you prefer pencil, and don't actually lose marks for it, then I'd say do it.

That's a fantastic strategy. Piss the examiner off.
    I don't know why people have not thought of this before.

When your paper is the last of a nine hour correcting session and the writing is all blurred or invisible, they are really going to be generous in the discretionary marks.
    A stroke of genius.

• Advertisement

biohaiid wrote: »
    So for quotes in English and stuff you shouldn't write them in red?
    How about highlighting?
    I always highlight mine at the end if I have time but I dont know if its 'right'.

Don't write any numbers in red or green. That's what really causes the confusion, numbers and underlining, as they are the marks used for marking.

There is absolutely no need to write quotes in a different colour, just put them in inverted commas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Sometimes wrong answers that were on the right lines can get you the one or two marks that might bring you up a grade, if the examiner can see them.
    I've never really understood this - surely if I write something in, say, a geography short question and I get it right, but I scribble it out and get it wrong, the examiner has to accept my final answer? If not I could just write everything that comes to mind and hope one is right.

Do you mean that if you scribble something out, and dont write something new, you can get marks for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tyty

I was wondering about which pen to use as well. Should it be ink or is a (decent) ball pen enough?

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I've never really understood this - surely if I write something in, say, a geography short question and I get it right, but I scribble it out and get it wrong, the examiner has to accept my final answer? If not I could just write everything that comes to mind and hope one is right.

Do you mean that if you scribble something out, and dont write something new, you can get marks for it?

As a slightly ludicrous example, let's say you're answering a question on volcanoes and you've been asked for two examples.
    Most of the information you give in your answer is accurate, if a little bit confused. At one stage you give two examples as

"Mount St. Helena's in Japan the volcano in Pompeii which is in Italy and went off in Roman times and a big one called Mount St. something that went off a few years ago. It is in Japan.'

Now, you have errors in the name of the volcano and the country it is in, but essentially you have the information there, albeit fairly confused.

In that sort of situation, an examiner might see that you had 'Mount St. Helena's' and decide it is close enough and give you the marks or half the marks, even though you got the wrong country.

They can't give you anything though if it's all slathered in Tippex.

You wouldn't get anything for multiple crossed out answers hedging your bets. From correcting you get a feel for who are the candidates who have got confused and who are the ones chancing their arm.

tyty wrote: »
    I was wondering about which pen to use as well. Should it be ink or is a (decent) ball pen enough?

A ball pen is fine, though ink with good handwriting is a pleasure to correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

I was planning on using pencil for my Maths exam but reading this I'm rethinking it. Everything just gets so messy in pen with Maths. :/

Regarding the green/red pen being used for correcting, if you used a random colour like purple to write the question numbers and quotes would that be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Actually, how many people are planning on using pencil for Maths? I was going to, I'd assume far more people use it for Maths than in other subjects, so t's probably a little more understandable. I'm sure I used it last year for Maths too.

Togepi wrote: »
    Actually, how many people are planning on using pencil for Maths? I was going to, I'd assume far more people use it for Maths than in other subjects, so t's probably a little more understandable. I'm sure I used it last year for Maths too.

I did the mock in erasable pen and it looks perfectly normal! It's great! Only wondering if they'd wear, butthey don't seem to from my use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

As a slightly ludicrous example, let's say you're answering a question on volcanoes and you've been asked for two examples.
    Most of the information you give in your answer is accurate, if a little bit confused. At one stage you give two examples as

"Mount St. Helena's in Japan the volcano in Pompeii which is in Italy and went off in Roman times and a big one called Mount St. something that went off a few years ago. It is in Japan.'

Now, you have errors in the name of the volcano and the country it is in, but essentially you have the information there, albeit fairly confused.

In that sort of situation, an examiner might see that you had 'Mount St. Helena's' and decide it is close enough and give you the marks or half the marks, even though you got the wrong country.

They can't give you anything though if it's all slathered in Tippex.

You wouldn't get anything for multiple crossed out answers hedging your bets. From correcting you get a feel for who are the candidates who have got confused and who are the ones chancing their arm.

I'm a bit confused about this too. What if, for example, I tried to do a maths question 5 different ways, then crossed out 4 of them and one of the crossed out methods was right. Would I get the marks? Or what about physics?

• Advertisement

finality wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about this too. What if, for example, I tried to do a maths question 5 different ways, then crossed out 4 of them and one of the crossed out methods was right. Would I get the marks? Or what about physics?

In Maths you get attempt marks anyway, the actual right answer is only worth a small amount of marks.
    I can't speak for Physics, sorry.

Advertisement