Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are no sound barriers off N3 to Clonee ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Call me cynical, but its funny how galvanised into action Local Councillors get exactly 100 days from a local election.

Yours sincerely
    Cynical :rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Cilar wrote: »
    no plans to cover clonee village apparently from the plans ... there are apartments block and houses just 10m away from the n3 :(

It might be to do with different councils? Not 100% sure on that but just a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

ciaran76 wrote: »
    It might be to do with different councils? Not 100% sure on that but just a guess.

They are with Co Meath but ... still N3 / M3 !

rolion wrote: »
    They are with Co Meath but ... still N3 / M3 !

I know but the leaflets we get in the door from the local TD's etc are making it outs its their constituency they are doing it for as in Dublin West.
    As Clonee village isn't their area then this may be a reason the barrier isn't extended to there.

I know but the leaflets we get in the door from the local TD's etc are making it outs its their constituency they are doing it for as in Dublin West.
    As Clonee village isn't their area then this may be a reason the barrier isn't extended to there.

Good point. One of the main reasons for the NRA taking over direct network management was to do away with the County by County battles over jurisdiction and funding allocations, in order to manage the major roads in their entirety. Would be interesting to know if this fell at the very first hurdle like you suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Here's the second part of the PDF of the plan that RichardoKhan posted earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Perhaps you could explain what you mean, as I find your post quite confusing.

Could you say where your "door" is and which of the "local" TD's you refer too?

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Perhaps you could explain what you mean, as I find your post quite confusing.

Could you say where your "door" is and which of the "local" TD's you refer too?

Whats confusing?

My door is near where the barriers are being put at the moment.
    The local TD's being Patrick Nulty , Leo Varadkar and Joan Burton.

Also got leaflets from Michael O'Donovan , Kieran Dennison and I think 1 or 2 others mentioning it.

I noticed that the first ten or twelve barriers were lifted into place today. I wonder are they going to paint them, I presume they will otherwise they would just rot away in a short time unless they are pressure treated? It's hard to gauge the effectiveness of the reduction in noise when there is still noise coming from the open areas, but it seemed to have reduced the noise directly behind where the barriers have been put in place, so here's hoping it will make a difference.

they are pressure treated alright, 15-30 year lifespan dependent on attentive maintenance. They still arent impervious to scrote infestation unfortunately.

• Advertisement

They look similar to the barriers I have seen on other roads around the city.
    I know it's not complete yet but so far makes no real difference in sound at the moment.

They look similar to the barriers I have seen on other roads around the city.
    I know it's not complete yet but so far makes no real difference in sound at the moment.

Im not sure they will to be honest, Ive done some work on noise amelioration in my own field and a rough look at the distances, road surface type and volumes make me think they are at least a metre too short. What you will end up with is seasonal noise reduction when the trees are in leaf, but they should not be relying on flora to do the job. Id say the real aim of the fences are to stop incursion, and I have seen some insane pedestrian crossings of the N3 along that stretch.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Im not sure they will to be honest, Ive done some work on noise amelioration in my own field and a rough look at the distances, road surface type and volumes make me think they are at least a metre too short. What you will end up with is seasonal noise reduction when the trees are in leaf, but they should not be relying on flora to do the job. Id say the real aim of the fences are to stop incursion, and I have seen some insane pedestrian crossings of the N3 along that stretch.

Yeah I hate that in the morning seeing the few lads waiting in the bush to do a runner across.
    Haven't seen them in a while maybe cos of the work so at least that will be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Whats confusing?

My door is near where the barriers are being put at the moment.
    The local TD's being Patrick Nulty , Leo Varadkar and Joan Burton.

Also got leaflets from Michael O'Donovan , Kieran Dennison and I think 1 or 2 others mentioning it.

Let's be honest here (and a few know my allegiances here), but NO politician was responsible for them. The NRA and the state were responsible for them.

It would be fine if politicians leaflet you to tell you they are being installed etc, but claiming ownership or responsibility is a step too far. They had no hand, act or part in the decision to have them. The residents in the Littlepace, Hunters run, swallowbrook pheasants run area were responsible and they campaigned for quite a number of years for these, and rightly so, as I myself in Rusheeney of all places, can hear the road noise on clear nights particularly.

The likes of Dennison in fairness has been consistent with updated leaflets during the last Five years, but Donavon in particular hasn't placed a leaflet in a door since 2009, and is starting out now suddenly in preparation for Mays election. A complete waste of space.

I agree 100% I am only just replying to who sent flyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The likes of Dennison in fairness has been consistent with updated leaflets during the last Five years, but Donavon in particular hasn't placed a leaflet in a door since 2009, and is starting out now suddenly in preparation for Mays election. A complete waste of space.

Leaflets are good for letting you know of local developments, but it can be hilarious when you get several around the same time from people all claiming responsibility for the same thing.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Leaflets are good for letting you know of local developments, but it can be hilarious when you get several around the same time from people all claiming responsibility for the same thing.

Yeah its weird they do all come within a week of each other then nothing for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

As quite a few know here on the D15 thread, my bro is a local councillor, and he hasn't claimed any credit for the installation of these.

He has posted the plans to some of the resident association FB pages etc, but to claim it would be awkward :-)

He made plenty of representation on it over the last few years, but it all fell on deaf ears with the same response received that the residents received about the technicalities of who was responsible, etc.
    I know all of this, as a bloke I work with, who lives in Pheasants run was very vocal on getting these barriers and the representation was made on behalf of him and the residents he was involved with in the Erin go bragh GAA.

It's to be welcomed none the less - the road level and the houses at the playing pitches particularly are badly affected as they are basically level with the open road.

I can leave the back windows open this summer ;)

Had more O’Donovan leaflets yesterday and although he doesn't claim he got the sound barriers installed he does mention them and he is keeping an eye on the progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

No matter whatever polistruck takes advantage of the installation but...I can tell you that coming from M50...N3 looks a beauty, with traffic going in to Shopping Ctr then over the bridge.. then opening up to a lot of green ...AND...the wooden barriers installed on the left with the metal protector bands...what a clean nice simple solution !
    Great work...i'm really impressed ! And proud... :)

• Advertisement

Has anyone noticed an improvement in the completed areas yet? I know the noise reduction road surface has yet to be done

I noticed the work finished up about 10 days ago, nice neat job.

Then coming home tonight I see another nice neat job, a perfectly cut mansize hole in the fence about 70 metres before the Damastown offramp. Could only have been done with a chainsaw.

I hate to say I told them so, but even im surprised how quickly and blatantly the fence was vandalised like this. Again, whoever chose timber should be sacked for wasting taxpayers money.

Wooden sound barriers, or fences as they used to call them, are a joke. Doesnt matter how strong the panel system is, wood planks can be broken open with a bit of persistence. It has happened along the M50 at Ballymount, Clondalkin, and Sandyford and Id expect to see gaps broken in the new N3 fence before too long by those who are happy to save themselves a long walk by playing traffic roulette.

I'll just quote meself.

I noticed the work finished up about 10 days ago, nice neat job.

Then coming home tonight I see another nice neat job, a perfectly cut mansize hole in the fence about 70 metres before the Damastown offramp. Could only have been done with a chainsaw.

I hate to say I told them so, but even im surprised how quickly and blatantly the fence was vandalised like this. Again, whoever chose timber should be sacked for wasting taxpayers money.

I noticed it last Sunday and was meant to put it in here but forgot.
    This is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

In addition to the above with regards to the wooden construction the final kick in the pants is........It stopped short.
    I live 250 yards away from the road & with its current construction has made ZERO difference because of the stopping short at the Littlepace end.

Not sure what impact it has had for those adjacent hopefully better than we are experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GZ250

Yeah I agree it has stopped short. The original phase of houses in Littlepace are left with no noise barrier. I can still hear the traffic same as always. I had thought that perhaps they were on an Easter break but I guess not.

My guess would be that because of the wider green space and the added distance of the offramp that the corner houses dont meet the distance criteria for noise abatement so they did stop it short

Lads, I have driven past the sound barriers a good few times and haven't seen any hole cut in the barriers. Are you sure ye didn't just see one if the access doors propped open?

Arciphel wrote: »
    Lads, I have driven past the sound barriers a good few times and haven't seen any hole cut in the barriers. Are you sure ye didn't just see one if the access doors propped open?

Ha ha I weirdly enough saw a worker on it today closing it so it must have been the door.

• Advertisement

So no need for the Daily Mail-esque levels of outrage then??? LOL

Advertisement