Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moss - what to feed lawn after "Moss death"

Options
  • 18-05-2012 12:42am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks
    I have .8 acre. I have spray the sulphate of iron on last week and its burned the hell of the moss now.
    Some people say I need to rake it, other say leave it.

What feed can I get to put on the lawn now, its a big area so cost is a bit of an issue! :)

Thanks v much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Get to a good agri co op.
    50kg bag of granulated lime, about €10.
    €50kg bag of 18:6:12, about €25.

Divide them into 3 applications.
    Apply the first application of lime, week later apply the first 18:6:12 ( presuming it rained).

Then in 2-3 weeks repeat. And again in another 2-3 apply the last.

The lime raised the ph of the soil, reduces the moss growth and allows fertiliser to be taken up by the grass.

Don't cut your lawn too low as it weakens the grass and lets the moss take over.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hi, are they shook on or sprayed on? I presume they are shook by hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

yop wrote: »
    Hi, are they shook on or sprayed on? I presume they are shook by hand.

Yes shake it on lightly. I have a small push broadcast spreader, €40 and it does a great even job.
    By hand is fine.

Advertisement