Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public parenting

• 18-05-2012 1:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Does it bother you when your in a supermarket and there are toddlers running around unattended pulling things of shelves or screaming without being corrected.
    I was in the gym earlier and a couple had there young 6-7 yr old in the jacuzzi while the 2 younger ones were bomb diving in the pool creating havoc for the other parents with kids.
    The lifeguard is only a teen and didn't have a clue what to do even though the signs say bo kids in the jacuzzi.
    More and more these days I see parents with a handful of kids happily leaving them in public areas and running wild,anyone else experience this or is it a rare thing.
    Are some parents so lazy they expect the public to do there jobs for them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Why didn't you complain to management?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I told the life guard but he just seemed incompetent and I had enough of the screaming so ended up leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Lack of parenting in public, you mean?

Lack of parenting in public, you mean?
    Nope,expecting the public to do the parenting for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Ah right, i was just going for the sly dig, looking for a few cheap 'thanks', i really should stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

babycages...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Kids just wanna be free - to do what they wanna do.

Why do you hate children OP?

Leave the little children alone. They're only babies really.

Yeah, stop hurting babies FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Those children should be shot.

There, I said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Sappa wrote: »
    Does it bother you when your in a supermarket and there are toddlers running around unattended pulling things of shelves or screaming without being corrected.

Couldn't give an arse's tit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I was in the gym earlier and a couple had there young 6-7 yr old in the jacuzzi while the 2 younger ones were bomb diving in the pool creating havoc for the other parents with kids.
    The lifeguard is only a teen and didn't have a clue what to do even though the signs say bo kids in the jacuzzi.
    More and more these days I see parents with a handful of kids happily leaving them in public areas and running wild,anyone else experience this or is it a rare thing.
    Are some parents so lazy they expect the public to do there jobs for them.

Motheragodwhatsitallcomingto :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

even though the signs say bo kids in the jacuzzi

You're at the Tullamore Bovine Auction love, that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Why do you hate children OP?

Leave the little children alone. They're only babies really.

Yeah, stop hurting babies FFS.

So the OP hates babies eh?

What a prick. Should be ashamed of yourself OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Parents should keep them under control obviously.

Let's face it though, there are some people that can't even abide the sight of kids in public no matter how they behave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

And if anything was to happen to these kids whilst not under supervision you'd have the usual 'oh sure you can't watch them all the time' or 'I only took my eyes off them for a minute', yet some parents can easily control their kids.

Accidents waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

As a mother of a very hyper 2 year old boy I know that kids get excited etc but I do not let my child run riot where he's not meant to. I had a 6 year old brat tell me to shut my ****ing face the other day:eek: Would have loved to have pinched her or something:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

It never ceases to surprise me how utterly oblivious some parents are to the public behaviour of their children. Everything from pissing everyone off in a cafe to bullying other kids in the playground as their folks casually chat away without saying a word.

I have a toddler myself so i know there's pent up energy but there are places to let them go free, like the park or playground, to run the legs off themselves and god knows they need it.... but in restaurants and the like they have to have respect for others around them and it's never too early to teach them that.... a lot parents just can't be arsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    And if anything was to happen to these kids whilst not under supervision you'd have the usual 'oh sure you can't watch them all the time' or 'I only took my eyes off them for a minute', yet some parents can easily control their kids.

Accidents waiting to happen.

And if the kids fell over and broke themselves those are exactly the parents who would claim for damages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Other than the odd well behaved children I see two extremes children who are wild because their parents are trying to be too nice to them and they have taken control and the parent that gets angry and their child and strangely enough children will crave anger from their parents I know I tried to wind up my parents when I was an older child only discipline diminished and angry reactions seemed to replace it. Oh and then I hate to see the parent that acts like their child is some kind of burden they have to put up with, I've seen this kind of parenting from people from all walks of life.

Now back to the overly nice parent, I hate the amount of parents I see constantly feeding their children junk food and promising them fast food all in a bid to keep quiet, constantly whining at them to be quiet with no follow through on what they say they'll do except for the fast food maybe. And the worst thing is most of the parents who do these things will proclaim they are a great parent and its normal to feel angry [but not constantly] or its the childs fault they must have some disorder, which they could but a lot of behavioral problems can be nurture related and parents like that don't take responsibility, it must their friends, the school, the media, vaccines, food, video games etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

As ever there are two sides to this. I hate to see uncontrolled children but I have two of my own and sometimes they are very good indeed. Sometimes they're not.

'Favourite' moments includes the two year old getting loose at a funeral mass and starting to crawl underneath the seats towards the altar. Or running out of Tescos into the crowd leaving me the choice of either losing my child or getting arrested for shoplifting! Or having one scuttle off towards the sea and the other running towards the road.

It really is a case of 'only taking your eyes off them for a moment'. That isn't an excuse. That's the reality. Like the horrifying moment my eldest disappeared in a car park. It was literally a split second and he was gone.

But they are generally very good in places like restaurants and on buses and places like that, thank goodness. We took them on a bus tour on holiday once. The tour guide told us later he was horrified when he saw us originally but my two turned on the charm and they became the mascots. The little gits.

I've had people give me dirty looks or more for what they perceive to be a failing in my control of one of the kids. It usually makes me very angry and I've told people to mind their own damm business. You cannot be a perfect parent and you cannot retain complete control at all times because children are independant human beings with minds of their own.

You can only do your best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

You should have overpowered the kids and waterboarded them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Anybody else think that the thread title was Public Parenting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Parents who let their kids run riot are pretty annoying, but so are the frumpy arseholes who roll their eyes upon hearing the first squeak out of a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

stovelid wrote: »
    Anybody else think that the thread title was Public Parenting?

Emm...yes. Mainly because it is :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I don't see it that often at all really.
    Is it really happening more and more? :confused:
    Maybe it's more prevalent in certain areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nope,expecting the public to do the parenting for them.

Fair enough. I'm happy to go and give little Johnny an earful if needed.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Some people make excuses I just took my eye of them for a second,they are so quick etc.
    These are excuses that is all,if you have young kids it is your job to bodyguard and chaperone them whenever out in public places.
    Wasn't it a lack of parental attention that lead to the McCann kid disappearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Some people make excuses I just took my eye of them for a second,they are so quick etc.
    These are excuses that is all,if you have young kids it is your job to bodyguard and chaperone them whenever out in public places.
    Wasn't it a lack of parental attention that lead to the McCann kid disappearing.

That was pure stupidity.

They seem to be forgiven for leaving 3 toddlers unattended in a rented holiday apartment complex in a foreign country.
    All the attention the mccanns get over missing Madeline but the root cause of the problem was the parents,it is there own fault.
    If they were charged and served a sentence for this negligence it would be a wake up call to other careless parents to look after your little ones at all times and it's not ok to leave them by themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nothing worse than kids running amok in a public house:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

Nothing worse than kids running amok in a public house:mad:

Yeah. Goats can be a terrible nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Children should be seen and not heard. I know if I caused a ruckus in public when I was young I would have been chastised and beaten, and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

They seem to be forgiven for leaving 3 toddlers unattended in a rented holiday apartment complex in a foreign country.
    All the attention the mccanns get over missing Madeline but the root cause of the problem was the parents,it is there own fault.
    If they were charged and served a sentence for this negligence it would be a wake up call to other careless parents to look after your little ones at all times and it's not ok to leave them by themselves.

And here was me thinking the root cause was the evil b£"tard who stole their child, and left them with a life full of the horror of living without knowing what has happened to their beloved girl.

You've set me straight though. I call for any parent that makes a mistake in the care of their child to have that child kidnapped by shady forces. That'll show em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Bomb diving into a pool is fun, for adults and kids. Pity more places should allow jumping into a pool.

I was in Italy with my 3 ages 12, 6 and 5. The 5 year old has a speech n language disorder, he was playing with his water gun and took a liking to one man sitting with his legs in the pool, he shot him with it the man waved his hand to say no, my little man fired the gun in the air. It went no where near the man he went over and grabbed my son by both wrists and shook him hard for about 5 seconds, he then grabbed the water gun off him. We were in the kids pool not the adult pool. Which there were 5 off.

Now we did tell him not to shoot people, and the fright that man gave him he will never shoot anyone again, we had to leave the pool he was shaking in terror. There was no need for aggressive behavior. The man didn't speak English, I felt like reporting him to the cops for assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Bomb diving into a pool is fun, for adults and kids. Pity more places should allow jumping into a pool.

I was in Italy with my 3 ages 12, 6 and 5. The 5 year old has a speech n language disorder, he was playing with his water gun and took a liking to one man sitting with his legs in the pool, he shot him with it the man waved his hand to say no, my little man fired the gun in the air. It went no where near the man he went over and grabbed my son by both wrists and shook him hard for about 5 seconds, he then grabbed the water gun off him. We were in the kids pool not the adult pool. Which there were 5 off.

Now we did tell him not to shoot people, and the fright that man gave him he will never shoot anyone again, we had to leave the pool he was shaking in terror. There was no need for aggressive behavior. The man didn't speak English, I felt like reporting him to the cops for assault.

Let me get this straight, your son was innocently playing with his watergun, shot it near some random guy at the swimming pool, didn't even get him wet, and this grown man shook your son violently? And afterwards you "felt like" reporting him to the cops? I can tell you, the only thing you should have felt like doing was knocking that cunt out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

ziggy23 wrote: »
    As a mother of a very hyper 2 year old boy I know that kids get excited etc but I do not let my child run riot where he's not meant to. I had a 6 year old brat tell me to shut my ****ing face the other day:eek: Would have loved to have pinched her or something:p

i would have dropped her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

ziggy23 wrote: »

I can honestly say that if one of my children said that to someone I would be so ashamed of my parenting skills.

I hope the parent sorted her out, then again if she is using that language don't think there is much discipline at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Of course children have to be able to play and they should be allowed to do so, but there are limitations. When I was small I obviously annoyed grown ups when I was playing noisily or in a big group, but when the adults ranted we'd quickly scuttle off. I think that's the biggest problem nowadays, because a vast number of children just don't have any respect for adults any more because their parents just let them rum freely without any restriction.

Also, @ grindelwald, if I had been shooting random people in a swimming pool with a water gun my parents would have pulled me aside to chastise me for it instead of letting it escalate into someone else teaching their child manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

What i hate more than parents ignoring their child's behaviour is parents who plead with their child to stop. Ask once, if they don't respect you enough to stop you demand it and enforce punishment if they don't. Im all for giving your child respect and reasoning with them to a point but a parent should be in control at all times and when they are clearly not respecting you then there's something wrong and pleading with them to behave is not going to gain any respect.

Ddad wrote: »

And here was me thinking the root cause was the evil b£"tard who stole their child, and left them with a life full of the horror of living without knowing what has happened to their beloved girl.

You've set me straight though. I call for any parent that makes a mistake in the care of their child to have that child kidnapped by shady forces. That'll show em.
    The cadaver dogs on the street know that no one took that child and the mccanns are lying through there teeth to the events of that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

its new age parenting fault.
    We I was a kid, I got slapped when I did something wrong. Now that is an offence and the child/parent relationship is like a negotiation where the child has all the power.
    The one thing I hate is that if a kid is bothering you and you tell him to go away the parent come over and give out to you for correcting they child. I more or less talking out of my ass as I don't have kids :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Yeah, let them do whatever they fecking want, sure we can sit back and sip tea - at least until they burn the gaff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

The cadaver dogs on the street know that no one took that child and the mccanns are lying through there teeth to the events of that night.

That'd be why they're in prison then:rolleyes:

You'd think they'd be dropping the act by now then. They made a mistake. They are paying for it- forever.

Ddad wrote: »

That'd be why they're in prison then:rolleyes:

You'd think they'd be dropping the act by now then. They made a mistake. They are paying for it- forever.
    Not every crook,criminal or murderer gets prison due to many reasons.
    Look at OJ,Bertie,Seanie Fitz and the Mccanns,they were all calculated in there approach to the crimes,political pressure played a part in all of the above.
    Yes they have to live with there crimes but often there career is foremost to protect.
    As for the Mccanns they are the only ones that knows what's happened that night in there apartment and how their daughter died.
    Kate McCann rang the senior Portugese detective in the middle of the night begging him to check a hill area to search for the body which inturn directly lead to the Portugese and British police making them suspects.
    Trained cadaver dogs picked up human blood from there hire car after they moved the body and both of these dogs went beserk when they sniffed at the boot of the car indicating the presence of a recent body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Those children should be shot.

There, I said it.

With your username I think you're the ideal candidate for the job
    - fire away:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,828 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why would a 5 year old have a water gun in a public pool? Of course the child is going to use the gun, you give the child a gun, why wouldn't he fire it? - but he should be using it in a place like a beach or the garden, not in an environment like a pool.

I was unfortunate enough to be in the way of someone water-bombing when I was a child. I went down to the bottom of the pool, fortunately I came back up, and fortunately I was always very confident in water and it did not put me off. There is a good reason why its not allowed.

That said, what that person did was assault and should have been reported to management, not just the youngster who was the 'lifeguard'. You would probably have been told to lose the gun though, whatever action was taken against the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Child running around a store/doctors office/restaurant whatever and bouncing off the walls:
    Mother * completely non-strict tone*: Jimmy sit down here and stop that.
    Mother: Jimmy if you don't stop that I'll take 'x' away from you.
    Child ignores parent because he is clearly well use to whatever empty threats his mother comes out with.
    Mother then stops calling the child and lets them do what they want until they demand something else.
    Mother: No Jimmy you can't have a drink. No Jimmy.
    Again no really serious tone of voice, child takes drink and has a much as they want. Child returns to bothering everyone else.

You should only have to tell your child ONCE in an authoritative tone, no messing and they get the message (at least for five ten minutes anyway until they go on to do something else) but at least they know they can't do that. It's the children that are told no a thousand times in a bored voice that end up on Supernanny and shows like that. If you don't let your child know whose boss from day one you're in trouble or else you shouldn't have children!:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Parents definitely don't seem to control/discipline their children in public as much as they should.

I was in the Avoca restaurant in Powerscourt yesterday having lunch with a friend and there were two small toddlers running amok, screaming and disturbing everyone. They ran right into an elderly lady taking her tray down to a table making her drop her tray and food.:(

Not once did the parents intervene or apologise. What has happened to responsibility for your own or your children's actions?

Last year, whilst reversing my car very carefully out of a parking spot at my local Tesco, two small girls aged about 5 and 7 ran right behind my car as I was reversing out. They very narrowly avoided being hit and their father came up to me and freaked out at me telling me that I should be more careful. I told him he should control his daughters in a supermarket car park and if he wanted to take the matter further I could call the Garda that was over at the supermarket door over to intervene. He let it go.

I love children - I have a nephew and niece that I adore - but I am frankly sick and tired of people refusing to take responsibility for their children. And it seems to have got much worse in recent years.

looksee wrote: »
    Why would a 5 year old have a water gun in a public pool? Of course the child is going to use the gun, you give the child a gun, why wouldn't he fire it? - but he should be using it in a place like a beach or the garden, not in an environment like a pool.

I was unfortunate enough to be in the way of someone water-bombing when I was a child. I went down to the bottom of the pool, fortunately I came back up, and fortunately I was always very confident in water and it did not put me off. There is a good reason why its not allowed.

That said, what that person did was assault and should have been reported to management, not just the youngster who was the 'lifeguard'. You would probably have been told to lose the gun though, whatever action was taken against the man.

Water guns were allowed in the pool. At least 10 kids had them. The kids were also allowed to jump in and dive in the pools.... Rules were strict in the place, rules did not include no diving, no jumping, no waterguns. No inflatables were allowed, no climbing on rocks and heights on waterslides were strictly inforced.

Of course children have to be able to play and they should be allowed to do so, but there are limitations. When I was small I obviously annoyed grown ups when I was playing noisily or in a big group, but when the adults ranted we'd quickly scuttle off. I think that's the biggest problem nowadays, because a vast number of children just don't have any respect for adults any more because their parents just let them rum freely without any restriction.

Also, @ grindelwald, if I had been shooting random people in a swimming pool with a water gun my parents would have pulled me aside to chastise me for it instead of letting it escalate into someone else teaching their child manners.

He shot one person. Not 2 or 3 or 10. He shot 1. And when I was in lanzarote there was a dad and his kid going around shooting people. Shot me at least 30 times, I never batted an eyelid. The kid was having harmless fun. The dad was having more fun. Thing is I'm easygoing not some stick in the mud, there are far too many rules stopping kids having fun, like no running, no playing duck duck goose, no jumping, and so on.

Oh and lucky you that you didn't have a severe speech n language disorder that affected your receptive speech.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement