Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sudden hearing loss in older german shepherd

• 18-05-2012 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I have an 11 year old german shepherd and she has been acting a bit peculiar over the past week or two. Obviously she is slowing down as time goes on but she has been quite listless recently and not excited by her walks, playing, etc as much as before. She has arthritis problems with her hips and front paws so I was putting it down to pain. When she's out walking her ears are normally pointed forward and she's alert and focused on the direction she's walking but lately her ears are pointed back towards me a lot which she does when she's sore also.
    Over the past couple of days I've noticed that her hearing is gone very bad. This seems to have come on very suddenly. Up until last week she would hear me getting up out of bed in the morning and would wait at the bottom of the stairs for me to come down but over the past few days she only gets up from her own bed when I come down. The ultimate test was last night when she sat in the sitting room with us while the fire was lit. Normally when we light the fire and there's a bit of popping and sparking while it gets going she would leave the room because the popping frightens her. Last night she stayed in the room and couldn't hear the popping.
    I know hearing loss would not be uncommon in a dog her age but I'm just surprised at how fast it has happened. She will be going to the vet this evening for a full checkup but I just thought I'd put it up here to see if other owners would have experienced anything similar.

Advertisement