Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezer keeps tripping switch

Options
  • 18-05-2012 7:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

We have a 2 year old upright freezer in an insulated shed. I found it had defrosted a little yesterday. When I checked the fuse board, or whatever you call it nowadays, one switch was tripped. I have unplugged all other items in the shed but this has not resolved my problem.

Is the freezer the problem?

Any advice on what could be wrong with the freezer? Repair or replace? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

yoda2001 wrote: »
    We have a 2 year old upright freezer in an insulated shed. I found it had defrosted a little yesterday. When I checked the fuse board, or whatever you call it nowadays, one switch was tripped. I have unplugged all other items in the shed but this has not resolved my problem.

Is the freezer the problem?

Any advice on what could be wrong with the freezer? Repair or replace? :confused:
    Possibly not the freezer
    It may have defrosted due to lack of power
    Are any sockets working or is it just the shed
    Pic of fuseboard would help

Bring the freezer in and try it in another socket
    Or extension lead out

Sometimes when fridges/freezers defrost,the melting water overflows on the evaporating tray
    This may have gotten into the electrics
    If you can pull it out and check for moisture

I think if the problem were on the appliance,it may have blown the plug fuse first though and not the tripswitch at the fuseboard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

do all the other items work properly without the freezer ?
    Not a clue about these things, just happen to have the same set up : dryer, washing machine, freezer in shed, and my washing machine stopped working in same manner >> tripping fuse.
    We just had an engineer in who diagnosed that the heating element had stopped working/was faulty, and that needs to be changed.
    There is a similar element in fridges/freezers no ? for cooling ?

... and it happens to be .... 3 months after the end of the garantee, yes, you've guessed it ! 2 years, 3 months.
    Do they finely plan for these things to fail right after the garantee ???

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hotfeet

I have a Wgirlpool side by side Fridge Freezer,It started to trip the breaker and I discovered that the defrost element was gone,I replaced this element with a new one, and reassembled the whole thing ,but now I find that it is not cooling at all,It works perfectly apart from this , (ie runs,for about 2 hours , but does not cool and eventually I get a warning triangle on the display panel), could it be the defrost sensor mounted on the heat exchanger, or am I missing something else,Cant afford to replace the whole thing, your observations, tips etc would be appreciated,
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 hotfeet

Not Cooling, have replaced the defrost element,any ideas on what could be wrong?

Advertisement