Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replace library DVD

• 18-05-2012 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

My daughter broke DVD borrowed from library. Can I just buy new DVD and give that to library or does it break intellectual property rights?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Interesting question that I would be interested to know the definitive answer to , check with the library but to my limited knowledge libraries have to pay a type of licence fee to permit lending - an off the shelf DVD would likely contravene the licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I don't know the answer (as usual) but I was thinking the same thing. That said they would have already paid for the licence on the broken DVD. Normally for PC software the manufacturer will replace the 'media' (CD/DVD/3.5" Floppy disk back in the day) for a small fee.

If an off the shelf looks the same I'd just do it personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Be aware that an off the shelf DVD will likely carry the warning '' Not for public viewing '' or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I've seen a few DVDs in Libraries that carry that same warning - I wonder if there is some sort of exemption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I've donated DVDs to my local library. These would have regular purchases from Play.com or somewhere similar.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Our libraries stock the exact same DVDs as each other so they would have several other copies.

Advertisement