Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Beer

Options
  • 18-05-2012 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking to try and make a nice light refreshing beer this time around. Something similar to Bud or Coors Light. What kits would you suggest? Any tips to help steer the beer in this direction?

Al

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Beer like Bud and Coors Light are extremely difficult to make at home and totally impossible from a kit. I'd go for any of the "lager" kits plus a kilo of spraymalt. Ferment it slow and cool (15-18) and serve it cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

TempPeck wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm looking to try and make a nice light refreshing beer this time around. Something similar to Bud or Coors Light. What kits would you suggest? Any tips to help steer the beer in this direction?

Al

I have a coopers pilsner ongoing with the spraymalt as advised above.
    It's just three weeks in the bottles and tasts great, light and refreshing, just as you described.
    Will be chilling it for a party tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭TempPeck

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

I make light beers regularly with my all grain equipment, its not too bad to do once you stick to the recipe. It takes me about 7 weeks from brew day to drinking though so you have to be thinking ahead.

I do a light beer with just pilsner malt and I also do a beer using pilsner malt, 30% rice both are nice and light byt lack and real falvour. I brew them as Im trying to get my girlfriend to appreciate beer!!

I brew them as Im trying to get my girlfriend to appreciate beer!
    I think you may be coming at this the wrong way. Does she drink wine? If so, make strong, dark beers: Belgian style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

BeerNut wrote: »
    I think you may be coming at this the wrong way. Does she drink wine? If so, make strong, dark beers: Belgian style.

I have thought about that, I brewed a few Belgian dark ales, Dunkel Weiss etc but she thinks they are too bitter, then I do a small blonde batch using up left over hops and she likes it. I can not tie her taste buds down.

Well not to denigrate your brewing skills or anything, but have you tried giving her commercial examples of these styles? My sister is a bitter-o-phobe but canes the Chimay Bleu.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I have thought about that, I brewed a few Belgian dark ales, Dunkel Weiss etc but she thinks they are too bitter, then I do a small blonde batch using up left over hops and she likes it. I can not tie her taste buds down.

You will never tame her. ;-p

My girlfriend is similar. She is very picky on drinks when we go out, favouring some reasonably decent lager, she is not a fan of any of the ales I am into when we go out (too 'aley') but she does have a decent appreciation for a lot of beers (and yes, belgian beers come out high on her likes radar, as does any weiss/wheat beer or equivalent)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Google bee cave kolch.. I use the recipe all the time.. Produces a nice light beer perfect for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

Hi Folks,
    I am keen to give a lighter beer a go, so I am about to make some Kolsh. I have not graduated to all grain just yet.
    I have done some research on the web and this is what I have come down too. I would be very interested in your thoughts.
    Boil Vol: 22ltr
    Yeast: WPL029
    Soak:400g of Munich Malt crushed grain
    100g of Wheat Malt crushed grain
    Boil:1.5kg of extra light DME
    .9kg of wheat DME
    Hops: (this is where I am very unsure)
    30g Tettnanger for 60mins
    15g Saaz for 30mins
    15g Saaz for 10mins

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Wookie wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I am keen to give a lighter beer a go, so I am about to make some Kolsh. I have not graduated to all grain just yet.
    I have done some research on the web and this is what I have come down too. I would be very interested in your thoughts.
    .9kg of wheat DME
    15g Saaz for 30mins
    15g Saaz for 10mins

Thanks

Tettnang http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_78&products_id=169 and Saaz http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_78&products_id=173 will give you a bitterness of 30 IBU's, which is fine. That recipe is probably 5 gallon US approx, 19L final volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Wookie wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    .9kg of wheat DME
    15g Saaz for 30mins
    15g Saaz for 10mins

Thanks

Looks good, but its a clean type off beer and would benefit from some temp control

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

oblivious wrote: »
    Looks good, but its a clean type off beer and would benefit from some temp control

Yea, I was thinking that. I might postpone while the weather is so good. Usually the room I use is about 15c-16c. I have a belt yoke that I use about half of to keep fermenters at about 20c. So I guess my question is: is 16c too warm?

In the long run I would like try and build a Son of a Fermentation chiller, but that is a good bit down the road as it requires moving all the brewing activities out to a shed (a shed that doesn't exist yet) :).

Advertisement