Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with beach fishing pls.

Options
  • 18-05-2012 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

So on our second attempt at Ballybunion we chose a calm night and used a cocktail of peeler, calamari & mackeral. We got there at low tide (9pm) and came in with the tide finishing at 2am. We had a good weight on which kept good tension on the line.
    No takes. At this point being new we were wondering:
    1) Are we doing anything wrong?
    2) Why have we never seen anyone else fishing there?

btw I normally fish for Pike so not new to angling just new to beaches.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

Hi there,
    I wouldn’t say you did anything wrong. When I'm beach fishing generally I go at low tide and have a look for any channels or dropoffs or places where the current will be particularly strong. At low tide this is where the fish will usually retreat too.

For general beach casting, I would recommend always fishing 3 hook rigs. this allows you to fish slightly different heights in the water column. plus three baits in the water is better than one I always think.

If I was just testing out a new beach I would fish an hour or 2 either side of the full tide.

Don’t be worried about not seeing anyone there, my best spot to fish all other anglers just walk past and ignore! But defo try and have a look for any features on the sea bed at a low tide.
    Also. I find the fishing tends to be affected by the full moon too. But that might just be a coincidence

Hope some of that is useful to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

What type of rigs were you using? As above, use 3 hook flappers, maybe size 2 hooks to begin with and keep your baits neat and tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

We were using single hook with a breakaway long tail lead. Small chunks of calamari, mackeral and peeler with elastic.

Just ordered 4* 3hook flapper, size 2, 2 up 1 down. Here.

Someone before mentioned Ballybunion back beach as a better spot, is this the place does anyone know?
    If so, looks a bit of a death trap... Is there a quick escape route when the tide comes in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cdublin

Try to vary your bait and use small hook sizes, try lug and crab in particular, should help. And vary your fishing spots and times.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tonytoc11

ch750536 wrote: »
    Someone before mentioned Ballybunion back beach as a better spot, is this the place does anyone know?
    If so, looks a bit of a death trap... Is there a quick escape route when the tide comes in?

Is that the Nun's Beach your talking about? I prefer to fish in Beale and dig lugworm in Litter Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mitchaul

Are you mixing it up?
    Try flooding tide/ebbing tide, dusk/dawn, different baits and of course different locations.
    It can take a bit of effort to find what works in any given spot. Don't give up.

Advertisement