Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - prev. tenant took the box in the wall away...

• 18-05-2012 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Hi all.. im moving to a new place next week, and ordered UPC. Order went through, and now im waiting for the equipment for self install.

But i noticed that the UPC box inside the flat has been taken away, and the cable is just hanging outside, so i need installer.

Called UPC and they informed, that i need to call back after i have received the equipment, and they will send someone, and it can take up to two weeks, but i need to start to pay the monthly cost from the day i receive the boxes. Can this be correct?

Why cant i just book the engineer now, and let him to put all the wires on place, instead of waiting 2 weeks? Have anyone else been in similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Theres a self install helpline that comes with the equipment, they organise the appointment
    2 weeks is a max time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Depending on what age the flat is, and which cable company originally installed it, there may never have been a UPC box on the wall in the first place.

We had some very odd wiring from ex-Cork Multichannel installations, that did not follow the same kind of installation methods as Cablelink / NTL.

This was how the installation worked in an apartment in Cork (built in the 90s) that we moved into.

Cable service and phone service came in via duct to a point just over the fuse box.

The phone was terminated onto a brown junction box and the extension wiring connected there.

The cable TV connection came in on an F-connector, and was connected to an isolator (not in a white box, just a metal device with two ports on it) and the internal cable wiring was connected onto that. It just terminated onto normal F-connector plates, there were no isolators behind them.

When we installed UPC broadband, they installed one of their sockets on in place of the old Cork Multichannel socket and just removed the isolator over the fuse box and connected the cable straight through.

Is there an F-connector on the end of the wire, or just a bare wire dangling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Hi, just got it sorted and installation is already on wednesday morning :)

Advertisement