Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead Paint Removal

• 18-05-2012 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right forum.

I have an old wicker moses basket which has been in the family for many years. With the recent arrival of my daughter I had hoped to be able to let her use the basket I had slept in many moons ago.

However, before letting her use it I purchased a Lead Paint Test kit and unfortunately the result came back positive.

Would anyone know of someone based in Dublinwho could removal all of the paint from this?

I'd would really hope that she would be able to use it before she grows too big given the history attached to it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Coz - I would of thought that complete removal of the lead paint would not be possible ie:between the weaves.Also the wicker may have absobed some of the lead. Given that babies tend to drool and suck on things,I dont think that I would be risking it myself. Why not get the nearest artisan weaver [check out craft markets]to make you a nice new one out of treatment free materials-you would have peace of mind as well as a nice future hierloom.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Only thing you can do is get it dipped in a caustic bath and then treat it afterwards with an acid (vinegar) to remove the caustic.

Just be sure whoever you get to do this uses a hot caustic bath and not a cold one.

Manys a door chair and other piece of furniture has been destroyed by them being put into a bath for a weekend.

There is a place in Dun Laoghaire that does it properly but you'll have to check about prices and stuff like that.

If you ask the mod if I can post the name and number, I'll do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Coz

Thanks All.

S.L.F. I found that guy in Dun Laoghire using Google so I'll give him a buzz.

wayoutwest - thanks for the warning but I've had a search around and technically the process is possible. Also I really want to use the one we have for it's history and a new one just wouldn't be the same. We've already got an heirloom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Cool stuff.

The only danger is if there is a chipboard or plywood section in the chair.

Advertisement