Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill Half Marathon

Options
  • 18-05-2012 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

So whos in for this? Just signed up this morning...First ever half marathon and i hear its a tough one. Maybe not a great choice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck with this. I did it as my first one in 2009 because I was going to be there anyway and again in 2010. It's tough all right. Make sure you do plenty of hill training between this and then. Not doing it this year - can't bring myself to pay €60 to run around roads I'll be on for the summer in any case ! Spectacular place though. enjoy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mc1980

Its a great race, the €60 is a bit of a bummer alright but sure what can you do, the choice is yours :D

I'll be doing it again this year, Achill was my first ever race. There is no other race where the wind is in your face for the whole course :D

Mc1980 wrote: »
    There is no other race where the wind is in your face for the whole course :D

Very true - never noticed how windy the place was until I was there for the first time with a newborn ! That's the atlantic for you. Toughens you up for wind though - nothing else can compare ! Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

Don't Tempt Me Lads!!

Had a shocker last year.
    Found it very tough.
    Funny because i ran a half marathon pb 2 weeks later.
    Maybe my body mis-took it for a long tempo training run!!
    Done it 1st time in 2010 and won.
    Its been at the back of my mind to enter again!.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

Thanks guys, ya ive looked at the profile of the run and it seems tricky for sure...That and the fact the wind could potentially blow every direction apart from the way you are running!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mc1980

jj72 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, ya ive looked at the profile of the run and it seems tricky for sure...That and the fact the wind could potentially blow every direction apart from the way you are running!!
    It will always be in your face :D
    Great race though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

They are doing a special offer this Thursday.Sign upand get the second halfprice.It will be in the fitmagazine in the Indo this Thur.

http://www.achillmarathon.com/fitmag-offer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i thought it was both half price. ie 2 for 1, so 30 each plus booking fee, anyway big improvement on the 60 normal entry..
    how much is the booking fee..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

woody1 wrote: »
    i thought it was both half price. ie 2 for 1, so 30 each plus booking fee, anyway big improvement on the 60 normal entry..
    how much is the booking fee..

It is half price for both (€30 each) when 2 enter together from the info I see on website:-

For one week only readers of the Irish Independent can avail of a special two for one offer. You and a friend can participate in the Elvery's Sports Achill Half Marathon on Saturday 7th July 2012, one of most beautiful and challenging races in the country. The price includes an amazing Elverys PB180 Tshirt and goody bag. All details can be found on the website. Each participant must complete a registration form. Please note the two people entering MUST enter together as a team. The fee will be €30 each plus booking fee which is lower than the full price of €60 each plus booking fee. The password will be available in the Fit Magazine in the Irish Independent on 7th June

When over there checkout the 3 routes now on offer for the Achill ROAR on 8th September ;)

does anyone have any idea if signing up as a team on the 2 for 1 makes any difference.. i presume not, but im asking as all the people i ask to sign up with me are asking me, i presume 2 timing chips, people dont have to run toghether or anything daft like that..
    ive asked on facebook but not gotten a response yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 BALI

Can't wait for this year again. :)

For anyone else wanting to take advantage of the 2 for 1 offer that was in the Indo yday, the registration password is Achill241. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/record-set-as-1000-run-in-coastal-halfmarathon-3161862.html

I can't fine the results in the online sport section - anyone got a link?

The first comment says the results are not accurate again this year - I can't believe it. They didn't have the correct results for a lot of runners last year either and considering that it is one the most expensive half marathons in the country it is not acceptable.
    I will be asking for a refund.

would presume results wont be online til tonight or tomorrow, to get you to buy the paper
    wasnt scanned for a good while after i finished and i had a fair difference with my watch time, but otherwise i was fairly impressed, mind you i got in at the half price which helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Thought this was well organised and a good athmospere about but definitely over priced. The course is very tough especialy this year with the wind, could have slowed times by as much as 3 minutes. I would have thought chip timing would solve results problems rather than cause them but sadly that does not seem to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

Results have been on the Achill website since yesterday evening. Curious about how the timings are inaccurate?

Lots of people seem confused about the difference between the start time and the chip time. Probably if they start their watch with the gun and start mid to back pack their chip time is going to seem wrong. Is that the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭paulmorro

My chip synced up with my watch (well I'll accept 3 seconds out). 2nd time doing the race and really love the route. Tough but fun, with mini tears on the 2nd last hill. Also a PB so yippee me!:p

Good support from the locals again, but they're really gonna have to look at the price. Entrants have fallen by around 800 in 2 years. It's an expensive weekend for most and seeing the €60 price tag is a big turn off considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

There is a reduced fee of €40 available for the next 26 days for the 2013 race - I've registered.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just registered for this year's event. €50 at the moment.

I only did my first half marathon yesterday in Limerick. This should be an interesting second run!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

I'm thinking about giving this one a go. I'm told it's a tough half, but can't get over the price. Seems quite high for a half marathon and I thought it was organised by those trying to attract tourists to the area - maybe I got that one wrong.

What's so special?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Lostnfound wrote: »
    I'm thinking about giving this one a go. I'm told it's a tough half, but can't get over the price. Seems quite high for a half marathon and I thought it was organised by those trying to attract tourists to the area - maybe I got that one wrong.

What's so special?

Its a very tough course. 3 or 4 mins slower(for me) than average. Theres nothing at all special about the race.Its Well organised but at 60 euros is overpriced.Achill is a lovely place but you have to buyyour food and tea afterwards. Bit of a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

this one is cheaper.....http://www.achillultra.com/.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

I checked out the website again and it is organised or endorsed by Achill Tourism. I would have thought that if it was half the price they would attract twice the numbers and that would help the local economy.

I'll think a bit more about this, looked at their Facebook page and I think there's a bit of attitude around clinging on to a high price event. Maybe they don't want the riff raff like me who count my pennies ;)

ultraman1 wrote: »
    this one is cheaper.....http://www.achillultra.com/.

Anyone doing this one ? Half, full & Ultra around the same 13.1 mile loop. Prices go up on Monday 1st July. I'd reckon it is tough enough but really spectacular. Thinking of signing up for the half because I'll be there anyway - it's a route I'd love to run but would be wary of traffic on the roads on my own and parts of it are quite remote - it will make me do some hill training during the summer !

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

I ran this route a few times this week as Im in achill on a weeks hols...brought the sun with me from Cork!! Spectacular stuff in the sunshine alright . I would have absolutely no worries about the traffic..or lack of it!!! Fantastic really. Not a course for a pb as its all hills but a really great route for training hard on. Met the winner of the Conam-marathon race for the last 5 yrs in the senior cat. Hes a pretty fit guy from training around it.

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    I ran this route a few times this week as Im in achill on a weeks hols...brought the sun with me from Cork!! Spectacular stuff in the sunshine alright . I would have absolutely no worries about the traffic..or lack of it!!! Fantastic really. Not a course for a pb as its all hills but a really great route for training hard on. Met the winner of the Conam-marathon race for the last 5 yrs in the senior cat. Hes a pretty fit guy from training around it.

Did you run the route of the second one - around the Atlantic Drive ? Would agree defo not a pb course and tougher than the one next week I would think. Would think it's fairly quiet at this time all right. I'm there for July & August and it's busier. The part of the route out by Gráinne mhaol's castle can be a bit hairy then ! Sounds like you had a good week.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Didnt do that route, but I can imagine the traffic in July&august alright, cant get over the hundreds of hol.homes on the island. Hope theres sunshine for the race next wknd, looks promising. Best of luck to all doing it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've only got back into training for this over the past fortnight. Hoping to finish it in 2:05. It'll only be my second half-marathon, but the hills of Cratloe are serving me well for warm-up runs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Ran this race a few years ago, very enjoyable day out , tough course and weather but a real community effort. Crowds used to descend for weekend but numbers seem to have dropped off as with many other races last year or two. Its a great weekend away and a testing race. Had a great battle with Caitriona Jennings for third place in it , but had to yield, male pride severely damaged for months after!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Just signed up.

Haven't ran this half marathon before, hopefully this heat wave holds off till about 1pm, so it doesn't burn us up while running. :pac:

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Just signed up.

Haven't ran this half marathon before, hopefully this heat wave holds off till about 1pm, so it doesn't burn us up while running. :pac:

No heatwave worries in Achill today. Overcast & cool with a strongish breeze. Think the wind might be your main problem. Hope it dies down for ye !

Advertisement