Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 payg to meteor bill

Options
  • 18-05-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hi. Been on o2 payg for 10 years, and thinking of making the big switch to bill pay. On payg I am paying €20 a month. I get free texts. I very rarely make phone calls. I don't currently use internet much but will when I get my new smart phone but this can be accommodated with a 700mb add on for €10 a month so the €20 covers me.
    The problem with payg id that any decent phone is so expensive. €400 minimum.
    Most bill pay plans are €40 upwards a month which is a lot.
    Meteor however do a €20 bill pay plan 200mins 200texts and 500mb data.
    And the phones are about half the price.

Would appreciate any info or advise on whether this would be a good move or any other suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

you looking at any phones in particular, op? that meteor deal is grand for light to medium usage. Do you have wifi at home/work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I have wifi at home yes.
    I'm looking at the galaxy s2 or s3 or the galaxy note.

don't rule out the nexus in your list there. from what i'm told it'll be another week or 2 for the s3 (although, that was last week :confused:).

i ask about wifi as 500mb might be a bit low for some but tbh my limit over here is the same and as a heavy user i average ~400mb thanks to wifi availability

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭helen1

Meteor sim only plan for €20.33 has 1gb of data. Im on this plan and find it great.

helen1 wrote: »
    Meteor sim only plan for €20.33 has 1gb of data. Im on this plan and find it great.

500mb according to the site - attached

edit: ah the 1gb comes with the sim only plan, 500mb when getting a phone on the contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭helen1

Didnt see the bit about the contract part. Mine is the sim only.

None of the phones seem to be available on the meteor site now even though they were a few days ago. Wonder if they have a better stock in stores?

phi3 wrote: »
    None of the phones seem to be available on the meteor site now even though they were a few days ago. Wonder if they have a better stock in stores?

it'll vary from shop to shop. not a fan of htc?

theteal wrote: »
    it'll vary from shop to shop. not a fan of htc?

I just don't know much about them tbh.
    My main requirements are big screen and long life battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

phi3 wrote: »
    I just don't know much about them tbh.
    My main requirements are big screen and long life battery.

Those two requirements are pretty mutually exclusive to be honest!

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    Those two requirements are pretty mutually exclusive to be honest!

True! I suppose long life isn't the right way of putting it! But as long as possible.

battery life will be an issue for any new smartphone user. generally speaking most people get a day, many will get a bit more but a full 2 days is a distinct rarity - this is pretty much across the board.

if you want a high end phone with a big screen, the htc one x and a samsung s3 are the monsters of the moment as i'm sure you're aware. there's only slight differences between the 2 from reports i've read. in most cases it will come down to preference in the hand. many people, including myself, will vouch for htc's feel and build quality. i could be easily swayed between the 2 but i'll always pick up a htc demo to play with first before a samsung - i can't really explain why though.

Is 500mb quite a small allowance? I saw somewhere about the o2 700mb add on that this was probably more than most people would requite so I thought 500 was reasonable. There is a plan with 1gb for €25..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

500mb is more than enough for casual users of Facebook, Whatapp, Email (without big attachments) and small YouTube usage. The 25e plan though does also include free Meteor calls and texts for 12 months and double the data, so it is worth it.

The HTC One X is a fantastic phone. Battery is okay. You should just about get a day out of it. The GS3, from gsmarena.com, does seem to have a better battery life, at least in terms of video and internet usage. Talk time is quite similar. No pricing is there for the S3 yet, as it's not out and there is no firm date (though the next 3-4 weeks would be a strong possibility), but it will definitely be the best seller this year, bar the new iPhone.

Advertisement