Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NI man mistake Italian flag for Irish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The fact that he has a band of knuckle-draggers constantly egging him on and showing him support is the saddest part.

The man's a cretin.. he uses the past victims of sectarianism as a tool to perpetuate that very same thing. I don't buy into the idea that he is justified in what he does just because of what he has personally been through. Many people lost loved ones and suffered terribly during the troubles, but rather than using their names and memories to preserve the divide between communities, they use them as the main reason for tearing down those divides, and the memories of the past serve as a reminder of why that sectarian history should be moved away from and never be repeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Campaigner for justice for victims of the IRA's campaign of ethnic cleansing against the Protestant people of Northern Ireland.

That is his headline on his twitter page. No mention of Catholics or anyone else. He is a bigot for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

LordSutch wrote: »
    It seems like an easy mistake to make, three flags on a Nationalist school.... but is it not the case that he simply made a massive 'faux pas' by mistaking the Italian Tricolour (in the centre on the tallest pole), for an Irish Tricolour (subtle difference)?.... it still doesn't explain the pure hatred aimed at him in this thread!

If loyalists ever wanted to create an online rapid reaction force to defend all their bigotry, you'd certainly be a leading contender for running the training school (without a tricolour of any description, of course).
    Can't stand Ferris and everything he stands for.

This, I'm sure, has caused ripples of surprise across Boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    This same clown went apesh*t before because he thought British passports in northern ireland had Irish on them.

Turned out it was Scots Gaelic and is on all British passports.

As has been pointed out this guy suffered horrifically at the hands of the IRA and is understandably grief stricken. Though lets be realistic here - that in no way justifies calling a school a terrorist training ground for having an Irish flag. Its just comical that it wasn't even an Irish flag to begin with

Actually, they do have a little bit - the prase "Ta 32 leathanach Saturday phas seo" appears at the back, and all the categories (notai, sloinne reamhainm (neacha), Dara breithe, etc.) are all translated into all 22 offical langues. Where's that twitter address?

(Apologies for lack of fadas/fadai)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    If loyalists ever wanted to create an online rapid reaction force to defend all their bigotry, you'd certainly be a leading contender for running the training school (without a tricolour of any description, of course).

This, I'm sure, has caused ripples of surprise across Boards.ie.
    Not that such loyalists would have any time for him, being Irish and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

As has been pointed out this guy suffered horrifically at the hands of the IRA and is understandably grief stricken.

The guy didnt suffer horrifically at the hands of the provos, they never did anything directly to him.

They shot a bunch of UDR and RUC men who were related to him, slightly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Lol. Nothing really more to add, just a general all round lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

As has been pointed out this guy suffered horrifically at the hands of the IRA and is understandably grief stricken.
    Bambi wrote: »
    The guy didnt suffer horrifically at the hands of the provos, they never did anything directly to him.

They shot a bunch of UDR and RUC men who were related to him, slightly different.

Willie Frazer relavent background.

His father, Bertie, was shot dead by the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) on 30 August 1975.

Over the next ten years four other members of Frazer's family were murdered by the Provisional IRA.

Another uncle of Frazer's who was a member of the UDR was then wounded in a gun attack by the IRA.

Now before the usual suspects get all hot and bothered, I am not defending Willie Frazer, I am just saying that this catalogue of murders of his family members may have some bearing on the way he now is (with Bigoted & Crazed ideas). Suggest that people ignore (& pity) him in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Agreed, but it doesn't mean people can't criticise his attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Fraser is a full hard on bigot. He should be charged with incitement to violence / hatred*

(*whatever one they can make stick)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

As someone else said, in fairness it does like the irish flag from a distance..look at the photo....and it was raised higher than the other 2 flags.

Consider Willie Frazers background and where he may have seen the tricolour before. In N. Ireland, he associates - rightly or wrongly - the tricolour as the symbol not just of a foreign state, but more than that - the flag was hijacked by the PIRA, was used a a symbol of PIRA support in certain areas of south Armagh etc, and was used to cover coffins of PIRA men in the north etc. Men who he considered terrorists, and men who killed 5 or 6 members of his own family inc his father. I'm not defending Fraiser either, just pointing out the catalogue of murders and long years of intimidation of his family members ...may have coloured his opinions of the flag of his neighbouring state, which was used as a symbol by those who killed his family.
    I feel sorry for Frazer more than anything. He's clearly gone completely loopy and paranoid.
    I agree.

true wrote: »
    Men who he considered terrorists, and men who killed 5 or 6 members of his own family inc his father.
    All solid pillars of the community, no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Willie Frazer relavent background.

His father, Bertie, was shot dead by the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) on 30 August 1975.

Over the next ten years four other members of Frazer's family were murdered by the Provisional IRA.

Another uncle of Frazer's who was a member of the UDR was then wounded in a gun attack by the IRA.

Now before the usual suspects get all hot and bothered, I am not defending Willie Frazer, I am just saying that this catalogue of murders of his family members may have some bearing on the way he now is (with Bigoted & Crazed ideas). Suggest that people ignore (& pity) him in future.

....of course you aren't. Not associate of the notorious sectarian UVF mid Ulster brigade and the LVF and hater of anything catholic, let alone Republican, Willie Frazer....

I'll just put these here for contrast

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78751745&postcount=51

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67844666&postcount=126

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74674356&postcount=437

As someone else said, in fairness it does like the irish flag from a distance..look at the photo....and it was raised higher than the other 2 flags.

Consider Willie Frazers background and where he may have seen the tricolour before. In N. Ireland, he associates - rightly or wrongly - the tricolour as the symbol not just of a foreign state, but more than that - the flag was hijacked by the PIRA, was used a a symbol of PIRA support in certain areas of south Armagh etc, and was used to cover coffins of PIRA men in the north etc. Men who he considered terrorists, and men who killed 5 or 6 members of his own family inc his father. I'm not defending Fraiser either, just pointing out the catalogue of murders and long years of intimidation of his family members ...may have coloured his opinions of the flag of his neighbouring state, which was used as a symbol by those who killed his family.

Willie doesn't have a problem with terrorists, per se, just Republican ones. Or catholic ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

For the record his father and some (if not all) of his family members who were killed were nasty pieces of work. The worst type of loyalists operated in that area. They would regularly pick up Catholics off the street. They even stabbed two protestants in Willie's pub in Tangragee for allegedly making negative remarks about a UVF man.
    As much as we all like a laugh at him, he has a dangerous side too. He applied to have a gun a while back (thankfully rejected because of loyalist links).

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    All solid pillars of the community, no doubt.

the murdered members of his family were (I assume) law abiding citizens, unless you have any information that they were not? links?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fianna saor

the murdered members of his family were (I assume) law abiding citizens, unless you have any information that they were not? links?

oops! looks like you just got in there after post #116

For the record his father and some (if not all) of his family members who were killed were nasty pieces of work. The worst type of loyalists operated in that area. They would regularly pick up Catholics off the street. They even stabbed two protestants in Willie's pub in Tangragee for allegedly making negative remarks about a UVF man.
    As much as we all like a laugh at him, he has a dangerous side too. He applied to have a gun a while back (thankfully rejected because of loyalist links).

.....they lured them out of there, if I recall. The full details are on the web.

The truth of the matter is that to get justice for his son, one of the fathers had to go to the nationalist community and Gerry Adams for help. Why not Willie Frazer? Why not indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

His real problem is that there is a "catholic" school in the area, and by etension, catholics.

Wee Willie is a gob****e

I'm afraid I can't find anything court admissable to show that what his family were involved in was illegal. They were UDR members who had links with loyalists. It says that Bertie was a UVF member but doesn't mention being convicted for it.

His real problem is that there is a "catholic" school in the area, and by etension, catholics.

Wee Willie is a gob****e

Interesting Willie fact #15
    Willie went to a catholic school!

He actually went to a catholic school himself, according to wikipedia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Lordsutch, not surprised at his antics, always has been anti Irish.

They were UDR members who had links with loyalists. It says that Bertie was a UVF member but doesn't mention being convicted for it.
    Bertie Ahern was a UVF member too ? Thats hearsay as well.;)

• Advertisement

have looked up the web and cannot find any link to that. Wiki does say something altogether different though : "For a brief period, Frazer ran "The Spot", a nightclub in Tandragee, County Armagh, which closed down after two Protestant civilians, Andrew Robb and David McIlwaine, who had been in the club were stabbed to death in February 2000 by the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF), after one of them had allegedly made derogatory remarks about dead UVF Mid-Ulster Brigade leader Richard Jameson"

Wiki does say something altogether different though
    Ah the joys of public edits meeting gangs of xenophobic zealots. You should see the page on the Ulster plantations, it reads like an afternoon picnic.

I for one have no difficulty believing his family brought their woes upon themselves.

I for one have no difficulty believing his family brought their woes upon themselves.
    so did those killed in the Enniskillen bombing. They should not have been there at all. And the gardai killed by the PIRA in Adara, they brought it on them selves too. Not to mention the Irish army soldier killed by the PIRA in Leitrim....they all brought their own woes upon themselves.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I listened to a couple of his videos on youtube there :D my god but he is an awful bore.

so did those killed in the Enniskillen bombing. They should not have been there at all. And the gardai killed by the PIRA in Adara, they brought it on them selves too. Not to mention the Irish army soldier killed by the PIRA in Leitrim....they all brought their own woes upon themselves.:rolleyes:
    Would you care to list off the names of all those murdered by loyalists while you're at it? Or the millions put to death by the British? KeithAFC, come on down.

Oh wait.

None of these events emerged from a vacuum. I deplore the innocent loss of life, but I strongly doubt Willie's gang were among them.

• Advertisement

but I strongly doubt Willie's gang were among them.

and your basis for such a doubt is?

You're not going to find convictions or admissions from them. Its enough for me that they ran Billy Wright's pub, were UDR members, drank with UVF members (before the feud).
    Mid Ulster Loyalists weren't at all inconspicuous. If you were in one of their pubs and one walked in everyone had to stand up. I'm convinced, you can make your own mind up.

List off the names of those murdered by the loyalists, as I previously asked. Even the number? Come on now, that must be fairly easy to find on wikipedia, that publicly edited source of information. You're very quick with your list of IRA atrocities, but strangely mute on the subject of loyalist murders. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I suspect an element of bias.

And I am not a supporter of Sinn Fein or the IRA, as my posting history should rapidly reveal, not being a fan of dickheads of any stripe.

If you were in one of their pubs and one walked in everyone had to stand up.

thats not how terrorists operate in the real world.

. You're very quick with your list of IRA atrocities, but strangely mute on the subject of loyalist murders.

I condemn all terrorist murders and atrocities Do you think thoise killed in Enniskillen or Adare or Leitrim or Monaghan or Dublin brought it upon themselves?

I condemn all terrorist murders and atrocities Do you think thoise killed in Enniskillen or Adare or Leitrim or Monaghan or Dublin brought it upon themselves?
    I don't see their relatives promoting a half assed murderous ideology, do you? Answer my question please, how many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

I don't buy into the idea that he is justified in what he does just because of what he has personally been through.

Waitaminnit.

That's a stretch - who is saying that? I'm certianly not & I don't see anyone else here saying that.

For the record, all I'm saying is that I can understand why he is what he is, that's all. I'll say it again - he's a total bigot, an idiot and mental.

But if I lived in an East Belfast loyalist enclave, faced intimidation/threats etc and saw 5 members of my family killed by the UVF...

All I'm saying is that it isn't surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Dear o dear. I guess we really do need to remove a little corner of Britain, from Ireland.. sigh. And not to stop until we have our dignity back because frankly they're dragging us down.

Awful, awful thoughts to begin with nevermind his behaviour and actions when you realize the mentaity this has instilled you get reminded it has simply got to go.

I don't see their relatives promoting a half assed murderous ideology, do you?

not the point. Do you think those killed in Enniskillen or Adare or Leitrim or Monaghan or Dublin brought it upon themselves? After all, if Fraisers relatives had not joined the security services of their democratically elected government, they probably would not have been targeted by the PIRA?
    Ruralyoke wrote: »
    But if I lived in an East Belfast loyalist enclave, faced intimidation/threats etc and saw 5 members of my family killed by the UVF...

All I'm saying is that it isn't surprising.

+1.

not the point. Do you think those killed in Enniskillen or Adare or Leitrim or Monaghan or Dublin brought it upon themselves? After all, if Fraisers relatives had not joined the security services of their democratically elected government, they probably would not have been targeted by the PIRA?
    Oh is that what they did, link please?

And answer my thrice bedamned question.

• Advertisement

+1.

But surely you can't be condemning the killing or UDR soldiers while refusing to even acknowledge loyalist killings?

Oh is that what they did, link please?

And answer my thrice bedamned question.

its well documented his relatives were members of the security services of the democratically elected government of the UK of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

And whatever your "thrice bedamned question" is, I am not going researching some irrelevant fact on the net to please you, when you did not have the courtesy to answer a more relevant question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

KeithAFC?
    Ghandee wrote: »
    Speaking of him, where's he disappeared to lately :confused:

Has he been banned?

Unfortunately his Breakfast didn't go down too well.

You'd miss him around the place.

But surely you can't be condemning the killing or UDR soldiers while refusing to even acknowledge loyalist killings?

I condemn loyalist killings as much as anyone here.

its well documented his relatives were members of the security services of the democratically elected government of the UK of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    Great, then you should have no difficulty providing a link. And yet here we are still waiting. Maybe a swift edit of a wikipedia article to fill in the shortcoming?
    And whatever your "thrice bedamned question" is, I am not going researching some irrelevant fact on the net to please you, when you did not have the courtesy to answer a more relevant question.
    So you feel happy enough to point to IRA atrocities while completely ignoring the death toll caused by loyalists. What a nasty way of looking at the world.

Tell us, where are you from? North of the border perhaps? I only ask because there's been a rash of similar posters recently, from the most racist part of the world, a situation fostered by the "democratically elected government of the UK of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

Lapin wrote: »
    Unfortunately his Breakfast didn't go down too well.

You'd miss him around the place.

He got the boot for that thread? Seriously?
    That thread gave me a giggle and a craving for a fry in the morning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

This same clown went apesh*t before because he thought British passports in northern ireland had Irish on them.

Turned out it was Scots Gaelic and is on all British passports.

There is Irish on all British passports, it as all the EU languages, including Irish:

Ríocht Aontaithe na Breataine Móire agus Thuaisceart Éireann

http://moptop-moptopspitstop.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/how-to-get-passport.html

It's not as prominent as the English.

If Irish was to appear prominently on a British passport, however, it would be a good thing, as it would help remove some of the republican associations of the language that many unionists hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I would sat wee Willie and his bereaved brethern had fairly staunch views about Catholics before any murders.

tipptom wrote: »
    I would sat wee Willie and his bereaved brethern had fairly staunch views about Catholics before any murders.

No one stayed long in the UDR if they were uneasy with persecution of Catholics or colluding with Loyalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

No one stayed long in the UDR if they were uneasy with persecution of Catholics or colluding with Loyalists.

Source?

Advertisement