Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NI man mistake Italian flag for Irish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

KeithAFC?
    Ghandee wrote: »
    Speaking of him, where's he disappeared to lately :confused:

Has he been banned?

His last pronouncement was in Politics 29/4/2012:

Ulstermen wanting freedom you mean?

Maybe he has wised up :D

Then again, knowing his ilk ......... NO way Jose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Richard wrote: »
    Source?

A source for what, exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

So what would happen if there was teachers from the republic visiting? If our flags not welcome, we're not welcome:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

the man is an idiot
    curious since he is a victims campaigner does he campaign on behalf of those who suffered at the hands of loyalists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

the man is an idiot
    curious since he is a victims campaigner does he campaign on behalf of those who suffered at the hands of loyalists

He seems to believe that the only suffering in Northern Ireland was endured by loyalists.
    The rest of the population only seem to get a mention when they are being reviled as IRA supporters/terrorists etc.
    That's why he is being reviled as a bigot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Lapin wrote: »
    Unfortunately his Breakfast didn't go down too well.

You'd miss him around the place.

I read through that breakfast thread i can't see why he was banned. Unless there was a few posts deleted.

I had wondered where he was.... thought he might have been poorly or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Seems like he could really benefit from seeing this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

somefeen wrote: »
    So what would happen if there was teachers from the republic visiting? If our flags not welcome, we're not welcome:rolleyes:

The tricolour was an illegal flag here before the troubles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I remember watching some video of his after the apology for Bloody Sunday/Saville Report.

Absolute fucktard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Chamone MF wrote: »

:rolleyes:

There are two colours on the flag, white and red.
    There are two bands on the flag, each taking up half the flag.
    There is no blue on the flag.

EDIT:
    StPatricksDonaghmore_17052012.jpg

The red band even takes up half the visible flag!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

true wrote: »
    After all, if Fraisers relatives had not joined the security services of their democratically elected government, they probably would not have been targeted by the PIRA?

its well documented his relatives were members of the security services of the democratically elected government of the UK of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The 'security' services were little more than Unionist militias. They colluded with loyalist death squads in their targeting and killing of innocent Catholics for nothing other than their religion.

Also, it's amusing that you cite democracy when it was cynical manipulation of democracy that created the Nationalist minority in the north in the first place.

Then you have gerrymandering (more cynical manipulation of democracy).

Really, trying to wrap the north's state sponsored bigotry, sectarianism and discrimination in the cloak of democratic irreproachableness is laughable.

Noreen1 wrote: »
    He seems to believe that the only suffering in Northern Ireland was endured by loyalists.
    The rest of the population only seem to get a mention when they are being reviled as IRA supporters/terrorists etc.
    That's why he is being reviled as a bigot.

He didn't even bother with some members of his own local protestant community when they were the victims of his associates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

somefeen wrote: »
    So what would happen if there was teachers from the republic visiting? If our flags not welcome, we're not welcome

Fraiser went to a catholic school in the north himself so he knows whats goes on in the north. Our flag is welcome in certain areas of the north - you will sometimes see it flying in certain parts of south armagh, west Belfast etc. You will see the Irish flag more often in N.I. than you would see the union jack flying above other flags in a school here in the republic anyway.

The 'security' services were little more than Unionist militias. They colluded with loyalist death squads in their targeting and killing of innocent Catholics for nothing other than their religion.

So you tar the hundreds of thousands of people who served in the security services in N. Ireland , and think they should all have been intimidated and murdered like the five members of Fraisers family, inc his father?
    Statistics show that in the troubles in N. Ireland , approximately 60% of the dead were killed by republicans, 30% by loyalists and 10% by British security forces.Innocent catholics were well known in N. Ireland. It did not need collusion to identify innocent Catholics. Of course there was probably the odd rogue person in the security forces who may have colluded, just as there was in the Gardai here as in the case recently in Dundalk about the Garda there tipping off the PIRA about the 2 visiting RUC detectives who were murdered soon after etc. If you pick say 10,000 or 100,000 people, they are not all going to be or act the same. They did not all go around killing catholics though - far from it. Any I met were polite and law-abiding, but then again I am a polite and law abiding catholic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The loyalist militia were part and parcel of the British security forces or to put it another way the British security forces were part and parcel of the loyalist milita

The loyalist militia were part and parcel of the British security forces or to put it another way the British security forces were part and parcel of the loyalist milita

lol. Fraiser went to a Catholic school. Did they teach you the above in the Catholic school you went to too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

lol. Fraiser went to a Catholic school. Did they teach you the above in the Catholic school you went to too?

I'm loathe to get into this debate as no doubt someone somewhere will point the sectarian finger at me. However, if you google the 'Glenanne Gang', you will see the degree to which that actually happened in this particular area of South Armagh in the early troubles (pre 1977).

I'm totally against violence - the sanctity of human life comes first for me - and the nature of the violence back then highlighted the futility and waste of it all - tit-for-tat killings were the norm and an awful lot of people died needlessly - those included the innocents caught up in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings of 1974.

Despite all the hurt, I think a lot of people have learned to put the past behind them and move on for the greater good. Willie does not appear to be able to do that. The fact though that he is now seen as such a pathetic and isolated figure, simply for thinking and talking as many others did in public twenty years ago, is a sign of how times have moved on, and that has to be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Green, white and Gold.

However, if you google ......
    Google anything political and paper does not refuse ink and anyway I'm well aware of both sides of the argument.
    Like you I am totally against violence. I can also understand how someone like Fraiser can feel how he does given experiences he has had, including intimidation and murder of 6 members of his family etc. I can also understand how some kids got indoctrinated in to the PIRA etc., and as a result of experiences they had. To understand the conflict you have to imagine what it would be like - or have been like - in the other persons shoes.
    Thankfully times have moved on, and as you say that has to be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I'm loathe to get into this debate as no doubt someone somewhere will point the sectarian finger at me. However, if you google the 'Glenanne Gang', you will see the degree to which that actually happened in this particular area of South Armagh in the early troubles (pre 1977).

I'm totally against violence - the sanctity of human life comes first for me - and the nature of the violence back then highlighted the futility and waste of it all - tit-for-tat killings were the norm and an awful lot of people died needlessly - those included the innocents caught up in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings of 1974.

Despite all the hurt, I think a lot of people have learned to put the past behind them and move on for the greater good. Willie does not appear to be able to do that. The fact though that he is now seen as such a pathetic and isolated figure, simply for thinking and talking as many others did in public twenty years ago, is a sign of how times have moved on, and that has to be a good thing.
    Well said. If there's to be any hope for Ireland we need to leave people like him in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

So you tar the hundreds of thousands of people who served in the security services in N. Ireland , and think they should all have been intimidated and murdered like the five members of Fraisers family, inc his father?

No. I don't think any killing is a good thing. Nice strawman. I'm just countering your construction of this image of the northern security forces as virtuous peace-keepers. They weren't.

Here's the first year of the cain statistics security forces 'peace keeping'.
    14 July 1969 Francis McCloskey (67) Catholic
    Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC)
    Died one day after being hit on head with batons during street disturbances, Dungiven, County Derry.

17 July 1969 Samuel Devenny (42) Catholic
    Died three months after being badly beaten in his home, William Street, Bogside, Derry. He was injured on 19 April 1969.

14 August 1969 John Gallagher (30) Catholic
    Status: Civilian (Civ), Killed by: Ulster Special Constabulary (USC)
    Shot during street disturbances, Cathedral Road, Armagh.

14 August 1969 Patrick Rooney (9) Catholic
    Shot at his home, during nearby street disturbances, St Brendan's Path, Divis Flats, Belfast.

15 August 1969 Hugh McCabe (20) Catholic
    Status: British Army (BA), Killed by: Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC)
    On leave. Shot during street disturbances while on the roof of Whitehall Block, Divis Flats, Belfast.

15 August 1969 Samuel McLarnon (27) Catholic
    Shot at his home during nearby street disturbances, Herbert Street, Ardoyne, Belfast.

15 August 1969 Michael Lynch (28) Catholic
    Shot during street disturbances, Butler Street, Ardoyne, Belfast.

01 December 1969 Patrick Corry (61) Catholic
    Died four months after being hit on the head with batons, during altercation between local people and Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) patrol, Unity Flats, off Upper Library Street, Belfast. Injured on 2nd August 1969.

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/sutton/chron/1969.html
    Statistics show that in the troubles in N. Ireland , approximately 60% of the dead were killed by republicans, 30% by loyalists and 10% by British security forces.

Did you ever attempt to break those statistics down? I have and came up with this.
    Provisional IRA was responsible for the deaths of 1,824 people

621 (34%) of these casualties were civilians.

British Army killed 305 people during Operation Banner.

156 (~51%) were civilians.

the UVF and RHC was responsible for 481 deaths

412 (~85%) civilian.

Republican paramilitary 4%.

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/sutton/book/

Here's some more damning evidence of security force 'impartiality'.

Subversion in the UDR.

Seriously, the security forces were part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

The fact that the RUC was effectively disbanded and reconstructed attempting to normalise it as a proper civilian police service is the ultimate evidence of the non-impartiality of the security forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Why is he in any position of influence or relevance for that matter, coming out with bizarre comments such as those posted? A nine year old xbox gamer would be more insightful than him. More fool for the school taking down the flags, idiots all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chamone MF

Cossax wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

There are two colours on the flag, white and red.
    There are two bands on the flag, each taking up half the flag.
    There is no blue on the flag.

EDIT:
    StPatricksDonaghmore_17052012.jpg

The red band even takes up half the visible flag!

No blue on the flag ....
    Get to specsavers.
    Perhaps you could magnify it many times, or ask a fully sighted friend to tell you.
    Here's a clue: the Turkish flag (thats the one on the right for you) and the Italian flag both come quite close to the top of the flagpole. While the flag on the left cannot if there are only two colours.
    I'm posting you a copy in braille.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Green, white and Gold.

Green, white and orange. This gold rubbish came from free staters trying to exclude the north and/or the protestant community from the flag after partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

http://www.u.tv/News/School-‘IRA-youth-HQ-in-flags-mix-up/a415e119-9230-4265-b9d5-a16348618fac

This prick has been a scourge on the south Armagh area for years. He's constantly showing himself up like this but it's rare that his idiocy gets beyond the local media.

The thick cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lordsutch, not surprised at his antics, always has been anti Irish.
    Well he's Irish himself - but he has a highly amusing thing going on where he licks up to loyalists... as if they'd welcome him. :)

So you tar the hundreds........ abiding catholic.

I believe Chuck has beaten me to it. If a decent weapon was found in the hands of a loyalist in the early 70's, odds are it came from the UDR. The B-specials rebranded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    no one votes for willie frazer.. but martin ferris tops the polls in the republic (north kerry) so who are we to complain
    Dudess wrote: »
    Huh? A bunch of misguided people in Kerry vote for Ferris so "we" throughout Ireland are being hypocrites by criticising this bigot?

a bunch of people in kerry what are you on about:confused:

SF get plenty of support throughout the republic its on the constant increase

and back in the day during the troubles there was plenty of support for the IRA as well.........there's "certain people" down my way who won't be happy until every last protestant in the north is dead

so yes, who are we to complain

....so now its "but Sinn Fein...." to the rescue of willie frazer. Theres no comparison between an isolated sectarian bigot and a widely supported non-sectarian party. Sinn Fein did more for some of Willie Frazers supposed constituents than he ever did.

• Advertisement

@Fryup: You referred specifically to Ferris, not SF.

And speak for yourself with your "we" bollocks. Not everyone here is simpering and toadying and willing to take responsibility for provos just because they're also Irish. :rolleyes:
    You seem like you'd actually agree with anti Irish bigotry... even though you're Irish.

We can complain about what we like, so long as we don't engage in violence and sectarianism. I guess "we" who have no connection to/support for the IRA couldn't complain about the little catholic kids getting harassed by those ***** when they were walking to school? Your outlook is pretty depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Well he's Irish himself - but he has a highly amusing thing going on where he licks up to loyalists... as if they'd welcome him. :)

They'd give him a great "welcome" all right, might even show him the romper room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

Nodin wrote: »
    ... non-sectarian party..

A bit rich.

SF may not ideologically or outwardly sectarian but their members happen to partially be comprised of former members of an illegal organisation, who on occasion, thought nothing of murdering protestant civilians.

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but I'm sure the motivation for Willies bile is to stir up tensions for marching season, painting school kids as targets.

Vile, vile man.

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    A bit rich.

SF may not idealogically or outwardly sectarian..........

Thats what I said. They aren't a sectarian organisation. One of the founders of the PIRA was a protestant. So no, theres no comparison between them, and a frothing bigot.

SF may not ideologically or outwardly sectarian but their members happen to partially be comprised of former members of an illegal organisation, who on occasion, thought nothing of murdering protestant civilians.
    Yeah I'd still think of SF as being sectarian.

• Advertisement

Thats what I said. They aren't a sectarian organisation. One of the founders of the PIRA was a protestant. So no, theres no comparison between them, and a frothing bigot.

So would you or would you not describe IRA murders of protestant civilians as sectarian?

And do you or do you not accept that SF comprise partially of former IRA members?

The link is hardly tenuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

More fool for the school taking down the flags, idiots all round.

I wasn't aware that the school had taken the flags down, but if they did you can be pretty sure it was done in the interests (safety) of the kids who attend the school and the school itself.

It ain't all about making a stand and getting one over the other side up here - common sense has to come into it too, and given the publicity that has been stirred up here, the school is now in the public eye. There are any amount of idiots up here only too willing to use any excuse for a mindless act of violence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

just because they had a few renegade prods in their ranks didn't make them any less sectarian....look at the kingsmill massascre the catholic bus driver was told to run away and the protestant workmen left behind were machine gunned

protestants living along the border have always been targeted by the provos

Dudess wrote:

You'd better tell the protestants in its ranks.
    So would you or would you not describe IRA murders of protestant civilians as sectarian?.

Such acts against civillians were sectarian yes. However the organisation and its aims were not sectarian in intent. Nor is the current SF organisation.

why are you so eager to talk about SF in a thread about willie frazer?

philstar wrote: »
    just because they had a few renegade prods in their ranks didn't make them any less sectarian....

So just because theres a few examples of them being not sectarian, they're sectarian. Great stuff.

• Advertisement

What does SF have to do with this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

What does SF have to do with this?

those in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones, the pot calling the kettle black etc etc

those in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones, the pot calling the kettle black etc etc
    Who's throwing stones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Then obviously you were not in the ranks of the hundreds of thousands that voted for them. Making a statement like that makes you a ....... kinda sectarian. Being so bigoted that you can't see through the fog.

Gerry Adams intervened on behalf of some members of the protestant community in Willie Frazers area. Find me an example of the other side of that from Willie.

Who's throwing stones?
    Rather mad logic, some Irish vote for SF so all Irish people collectively cant criticize bigots.

Its like the all catholics are in the ra nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Someone on Boards has taken an unrelated thread and attempted to turn it into yet another anti-Sinn Fein circle jerk? I'm in shock.

Someone on Boards has taken an unrelated thread and attempted to turn it into yet another anti-Sinn Fein circle jerk? I'm in shock.

Its to defend Willie Frazer, so all in a good cause.

Spread wrote: »
    Then obviously you were not in the ranks of the hundreds of thousands that voted for them. Making a statement like that makes you a ....... kinda sectarian. Being so bigoted that you can't see through the fog.
    Wow. One comment based on SF being closely linked to the IRA which killed people for being protestant, hence my logic... and I'm so bigoted I can't see through the fog? I'd suggest you read my other posts instead of coming out with stupid and untrue statements.

why are you so eager to talk about SF in a thread about willie frazer?

I'm not - merely questioning your assertion that SF are a non-sectarian party.

It's not quite that simple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement