Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NI man mistake Italian flag for Irish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Rather mad logic, some Irish vote for SF so all Irish people collectively cant criticize bigots.

Its like the all catholics are in the ra nonsense
    Typical self flagellating tripe from a few insecure Irish people. "You're white, you can't criticise the KKK!"

Derp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    I'm not - merely questioning your assertion that SF are a non-sectarian party.

It's not quite that simple.

......SF are a non-sectarian party.

I find it odd you choose to debate that particular issue in a thread about somebody who is, without doubt, a rabid sectarian bigot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Nodin wrote: »
    ......SF are a non-sectarian party.

I find it odd you choose to debate that particular issue in a thread about somebody who is, without doubt, a rabid sectarian bigot.

he went to a catholic school he played GAA as a boy, when the troubles started his neighbours turned against him...four of his closest relatives were killed by the IRA...i'm NOT condoning the guy but thats the reason he is ..the way he is ....as others said he needs to be pityed more than anything

if four members of your family were murdered, wouldn't that have a huge effect on you????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

philstar wrote: »
    he went to a catholic school he played GAA as a boy, when the troubles started his neighbours turned against him...four of his closest relatives were killed by the IRA...i'm NOT condoning the guy but thats the reason he is ..the way he is ....as others said he needs to be pityed more than anything

if four members of your family were murdered, wouldn't that have a huge effect on you????

What neighbours turned against him? There was a war on, a war they actively participated in by joining the security forces. Dont try to paint it so that it looks like the IRA targeted the Frazer family. They targeted the UDR/RUC.

many people from all sides suffered during the conflict, it didnt turn them all into rabid bigots. Case in point, on his facebook today he states he actually likes to see the tricolour in the north but only when "it's draped over a box with some Sinn Fein/IRA member in it."

http://www.facebook.com/william.frazer.58

That's not grief or anger. That's just hatred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Of course it would. :confused:
    Huge effect isn't = turning someone into a hateful bigot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Some people lose loved ones and become very dignified peace campaigners. Gordon Wilson, who's daughter died in front of him as a result of the Enniskillen bombing, being a prime example.

Many people who lost loved ones in the north asked that no retaliation be carried out in their name and only sought and end to the conflict.

Frazer is the opposite - he's pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Some people lose loved ones and become very dignified peace campaigners. Gordon Wilson, who's daughter died in front of him as a result of the Enniskillen bombing, being a prime example.

Many people who lost loved ones in the north asked that no retaliation be carried out in their name and only sought and end to the conflict.

Frazer is the opposite - he's pathetic.

I don't know, its a tough call having your Dad + several other members of your family murdered by a group who then justify their actions! I guess many a sane man would go bonkers with rage & grief. Obvioulsy Gordon Wilson is made of sterner stuff than Mr Frazer. However, maybe Willie was already deranged, bitter & bigoted before the murders of his family?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Mr. Frazer should follow big Ians footsteps and set up a new religious group of bible bashers!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

thread may have gone onto serious (or not) political debate. I still think this is hillarious though
    Chamone MF wrote: »
    No blue on the flag ....
    Get to specsavers.
    Perhaps you could magnify it many times, or ask a fully sighted friend to tell you.
    Here's a clue: the Turkish flag (thats the one on the right for you) and the Italian flag both come quite close to the top of the flagpole. While the flag on the left cannot if there are only two colours.
    I'm posting you a copy in braille.

someone thinking that the sky above the flag is part of the flag, and claiming it to be the Russian flag. Never mind that the Russian flag has blue in the middle of the red and white, so it couldnt even be remotely confused with the blue sky at the top of it. And to defend themselves so confidently too when they are being utterly (and hillariously) wrong. I'd love to see the copy of the flag in braille tho!

Anyway, back to sinn fein, IRA UDF etc.

• Advertisement

just because they had a few renegade prods in their ranks didn't make them any less sectarian....
    So just because theres a few examples of them being not sectarian, they're sectarian. Great stuff.

it doesn't absolve them of sectarian acts like kingsmill, teebane, darkley, enniskillen, le mon etc

and yes they do have sectarian bigots in their ranks...i've been amongst northern shinners i've heard them talking about "prods" "orange bastards" "huns" in a hateful way

it doesn't absolve them of sectarian acts like kingsmill, teebane, darkley, enniskillen, le mon etc

Teebane was against those working on British bases. Darkley was carried out by a different group, there was no intention to kill with the la mon bomb, though it had a tragic outcome.
    and yes they do have sectarian bigots in their ranks...i've been amongst northern shinners i've heard them talking about "prods" "orange bastards" "huns" in a hateful way

The odd bigot doesn't change the fact its not a sectarian organisation.

You still haven't really explained why you're so eager to lash on with this in a thread on a bigot notorious even amongst bigots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Why is everyone extrapolating so much from the actions of one whack-job, who is continually making an eejit of himself?:rolleyes: He's just as pointless a nuisance as that Irish-dancing ex-priest in a kilt who has, inter alia, disrupted an F1 car race and deprived an Olympic athlete of victory, but the actions of those pathetic nutters can not be attributed to or blamed on anyone else - unless someone thinks we deserve blame for failing to euthenise them.:D:D

Teebane was against those working on British bases. Darkley was carried out by a different group, there was no intention to kill with the la mon bomb, though it had a tragic outcome.

you fire-bomb a hotel full to the brim and you don't mean to kill:cool:

you fire-bomb a hotel full to the brim and you don't mean to kill:cool:

...the details are on the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

just because they had a few renegade prods in their ranks didn't make them any less sectarian....look at the kingsmill massascre the catholic bus driver was told to run away and the protestant workmen left behind were machine gunned

protestants living along the border have always been targeted by the provos

So Protestants who actually saw an abuse of human rights, and who tried to live up to the Christian commandment to "love thy neighbour" were renegades?
    Should they instead have stood by, and watched a people being bitterly oppressed, because of the greed of some of their brethren?
    Would that have made them good, god-fearing men, instead of renegades?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chamone MF

bruschi wrote: »
    thread may have gone onto serious (or not) political debate. I still think this is hillarious though

someone thinking that the sky above the flag is part of the flag, and claiming it to be the Russian flag. Never mind that the Russian flag has blue in the middle of the red and white, so it couldnt even be remotely confused with the blue sky at the top of it. And to defend themselves so confidently too when they are being utterly (and hillariously) wrong. I'd love to see the copy of the flag in braille tho!

Anyway, back to sinn fein, IRA UDF etc.

Ah, the short bus is filling up.
    The braille referred to the posting itself.

That aside, perhaps you'd like to save the picture and magnify.
    You'll notice that the background to the flag (the sky) is white/pale blue - making it difficult for the visually challenged to see the top white section of the flag. (fair enough,easy mistake, difficult to see white on a light background)

However, you may hopefully note that there is most definitely horizontal blue* and red in the flag. Meaning it can't be polish and leaving only the possibilities of Liechtenstein or Russia.

*middle section consistent with the Russian flag.
    (am i being trololololed?)

Noreen1 wrote: »
    So Protestants who actually saw an abuse of human rights, and who tried to live up to the Christian commandment to "love thy neighbour" were renegades?
    Should they instead have stood by, and watched a people being bitterly oppressed, because of the greed of some of their brethren?

and another christian commandment is thou shalt not kill

so they should have joined the SDLP or the Alliance party instead of the Provos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Ah, the short bus is filling up.
    The braille referred to the posting itself.

That aside, perhaps you'd like to save the picture and magnify.
    You'll notice that the background to the flag (the sky) is white/pale blue - making it difficult for the visually challenged to see the top white section of the flag. (fair enough,easy mistake, difficult to see white on a light background)

However, you may hopefully note that there is most definitely horizontal blue* and red in the flag. Meaning it can't be polish and leaving only the possibilities of Liechtenstein or Russia.

*middle section consistent with the Russian flag.
    (am i being trololololed?)

You're the only one seeing the Russian flag.

1. We know it's a Polish flag.
    2. The Russian flag has 3 equal sized bands whereas the flag in question has 2 equal sized bands - the red band clearly takes up half the flag.
    3. Even if it was an attempt at a Russian flag, it's incorrect as the red band would be over-sized.
    4. You think the Polish teachers wouldn't recognise the Russian flag being flown by mistake?

Cossax wrote: »
    You're the only one seeing the Russian flag.

1. We know it's a Polish flag.
    2. The Russian flag has 3 equal sized bands whereas the flag in question has 2 equal sized bands - the red band clearly takes up half the flag.
    3. Even if it was an attempt at a Russian flag, it's incorrect as the red band would be over-sized.
    4. You think the Polish teachers wouldn't recognise the Russian flag being flown by mistake?

It would be nice to rant here but I feel this is a bit of a wind-up.
    Also I'm sticking to the rules.

Anyway, just in case its not and you really visually challenged I'll explain it again.

You cannot properly see the top section of the flag, which is white, because the background to the flag is itself a very light blue/white.
    That's understandable.

However, the middle section of the flag, which we'll call the section above the red/bottom part of the flag for clarity, is very very definitely not the colour of the background. It is not white, therefore the flag cannot be Polish.

The section above the red part is clearly blue, a very different blue to the light blue/white background.

At the very least this limits us to Liechtenstein or Russia.

If you cannot see this you do have a visual impairment.

Lastly, if you take the flag in question to be Polish and having only two colours you will see that it does not reach close to the top of the flag-pole. Indeed it falls short of the top by a distance, that distance happens to be approximately the same height as the the height of the red or blue section.
    Co-incidence? no.

/ controlled rant.
    / wind-up

Indeed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Democratic_and_Labour_Party
    The party was founded in 1970, .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_Party_of_Northern_Ireland#History
    It was formed in April 1970 as an alternative to the established parties

Think about it!

NB. By the way, care to answer my question?

• Advertisement

yes 1970, still early days in the troubles

as i said joining other democratic organisations would have been far better than joining the provos and killing they're own co-religious...but you think the IRA was a better choice i persume

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

1970, still early enough to join

as i said joining other democratic organisations would have been far than joining the provos and killing they're own co-religious...but you think the IRA was a better choice i persume

It's a pity that those in power didn't act more in the spirit of democracy and respect the Catholic minority and then we might not have had the troubles. It was disdain for democracy by Unionists that led to the troubles in the first place.

You need to look closer to home for the reasons young Catholics joined paramilitaries groups. Loyalist pogroms, RUC watching as civil rights marchers got battered by so-called loyalists.
    In 1968, the marches of the Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association (NICRA) were met with a violent backlash by police and civil authorities

The American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 94, No. 6 (May, 1989), pp. 1277–1302

Civil rights protesters being battered and eventually gunned down en masse.

Then the collapsing of the Sunningdale agreement by means of loyalist intimidation and a general strike where Catholics were intimidated if they went to work.
    After two weeks of barricades, shortages, rioting and intimidation, Brian Faulkner resigned as Chief Executive and the Sunningdale Agreement collapsed on 28 May 1974.

Source

If you want to talk about democratic principles than at least try to develop an understanding of how unionist's inflammatory disdain for democracy drove young Catholics into Republican paramilitary organisations.

as i said joining other democratic organisations would have been far better than joining the provos and killing they're own co-religious...but you think the IRA was a better choice i persume

Just when do you think the IRA were formed?
    Here's a hint - it was long before 1970!
    So would you like to tell me how on earth these "renegades" were supposed to join organisations that didn't yet exist?

And you still haven't answered my question!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Anyway, just in case its not and you really visually challenged I'll explain it again.

You cannot properly see the top section of the flag, which is white, because the background to the flag is itself a very light blue/white.
    That's understandable.

However, the middle section of the flag, which we'll call the section above the red/bottom part of the flag for clarity, is very very definitely not the colour of the background. It is not white, therefore the flag cannot be Polish.

The section above the red part is clearly blue, a very different blue to the light blue/white background.

Lastly, if you take the flag in question to be Polish and having only two colours you will see that it does not reach close to the top of the flag-pole. Indeed it falls short of the top by a distance, that distance happens to be approximately the same height as the the height of the red or blue section.
    Co-incidence? no.

/ controlled rant.
    / wind-up

the gift that keeps on giving! Cant believe you are actually still going on about this so vigorously when you are so clearly wrong! :P

also love how you keep telling everyone else they have visual impairment!

keep on ranting!!! its great entertainment. write in bigger text the next time though, it looks more fun.

/going off topic again from the sinn fein IRA debate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

+1. Well said and good point. Lets call a spade a spade. There is an element of sectarianism / racism in PIRA / shinner type sympathisers. Have a few drinks in them and listen after / during a celtic / England match.

You are right. The IRA have a track record of executing and intimidating Protestants ( such as in Co. Cork around the time of independence) long before the 1970's.

Here's a hint - it was long before 1970!!

i'm talking about the provos, which formed in 69/70

alot of ulster-prods were stuck in a rut too, ignorant of the plight of the other side, they lived seperate lives to catholics..some were involved in the civil rights movement..but the activites of the IRA made it difficult for protestants to have sympathy for the nationalist plight, they became alienated by it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Maybe listening to a nationalist teacher giving a slanted view on history etc has had a lasting effect on him? I knew a teacher used to always go on about the famine, to burn everything English except their coal etc. Some kids were just taught to hate Protestants, maybe he feels isolated since those days in a catholic school? Having you father murdered etc did not help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Browsing boards.ie has shown me there are a lot more West Brits than I had anticipated.

bruschi wrote: »
    the gift that keeps on giving! Cant believe you are actually still going on about this so vigorously when you are so clearly wrong! :P

also love how you keep telling everyone else they have visual impairment!

keep on ranting!!! its great entertainment. write in bigger text the next time though, it looks more fun.

/going off topic again from the sinn fein IRA debate.

Well my vigor is all worn out now. alas i have been trololololed, i understand, solidarity amongst fellow trolls and all that. good luck to you sir and your guide-dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's understandable.

Co-incidence? no.

/ controlled rant.
    / wind-up

I see where you're coming from, but that would make the flag badly out of proportion and practically square. For me, it's still Poland.

Leichtenstein...???

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It has to be the Polish flag surely. If your seeing the top band as blue then you may think Liechtenstein but they also have a coat of arms pattern on their top band which is not visible here. Anyway its very unlikely that a tiny nation like Liechtenstein is taking part in this.

For the life of me I can't understand how anybody is seeing Russia. Its clear that the flag in question has only two bands.

Sorry lads. Just late, theres none left. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

2 colors on the flag. Article says Poland, Poland it is. No blue on it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

magma69 wrote: »
    Browsing boards.ie has shown me there are a lot more West Brits than I had anticipated.

Yea, your poxy little sectarian mates are a dying breed. We'll be a better country for it.

true wrote: »
    Maybe listening to a nationalist teacher giving a slanted view on history etc has had a lasting effect on him? I knew a teacher used to always go on about the famine, to burn everything English except their coal etc. Some kids were just taught to hate Protestants, maybe he feels isolated since those days in a catholic school? Having you father murdered etc did not help.

Yep. Willies the victim here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

true wrote: »

Where in the name of God did you go to school?

I went to a Catholic school in South-Armagh and I didn't experience any of this supposed indoctrination.

We were taught what was on the curriculum and nothing more.

You must admit that you're sounding increasingly like Willie Frazer with every post you make. Already you're claiming that Catholics are being subtly indoctrinated into hatred through the education system. I assume next you will argue that we were taught to use rifles and explosives.

Please catch yourself on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Where in the name of God did you go to school?

Sometimes I ask myself if (s)he did indeed go to any school with the amount of nonsense that is spouted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

It's a pity that those in power didn't act more in the spirit of democracy and respect the Catholic minority and then we might not have had the troubles. It was disdain for democracy by Unionists that led to the troubles in the first place.

You need to look closer to home for the reasons young Catholics joined paramilitaries groups. Loyalist pogroms, RUC watching as civil rights marchers got battered by so-called loyalists.

And that disdain for democracy by Unionist leaders led to young protestants joining murderous sectarian gangs who were inflamed by these leaders to stop Catholics,any Catholic in case some sort of civility would be brought in and it might become normal for them to apply for housing and have some chance of getting it.These "Leaders"did not need to pull the trigger themselves but used poor uneducated protestants to pull the trigger for them.Their reward was lucrative full time political jobs and peerages.Willie is still trying to push on down this route and if he gets some idiots to fire bomb this school around the 12th for being an IRA training school it will be like walking in his heros footsteps..you want to talk about democratic principles than at least try to develop an understanding of how unionist's inflammatory disdain for democracy drove young Catholics into Republican paramilitary organisation

If s.

Civil rights protesters being battered and eventually gunned down en masse.

Then the collapsing of the Sunningdale agreement by means of loyalist intimidation and a general strike where Catholics were intimidated if they went to work.

2 colors on the flag. Article says Poland, Poland it is. No blue on it at all.

See previous post.

• Advertisement

You said:
    just because they had a few renegade prods in their ranks didn't make them any less sectarian....look at the kingsmill massascre the catholic bus driver was told to run away and the protestant workmen left behind were machine gunned

protestants living along the border have always been targeted by the provos

I replied:

You replied:

I see your attempt at deflection.
    All Christians are aware of the Commandment "Thou shalt not kill".
    You, however, in your haste to defend Willie Frazer and his ilk, choose to ignore that that commandment applies equally whether the victim is Protestant, Catholic, Jewish or a.n. other.

As a point of interest - what makes you so sure that these "renegade":rolleyes: Protestants killed anyone?

I would take the view that they saw wrongdoing, by their own co-religious, and chose to try and form an organisation that sought to strive against injustice.
    That, in all honesty, would make them good Christians, and Protestants - not renegades!
    Or perhaps you think they should have ignored their own conscience, and knowledge of right and wrong, and just gone with the herd?

I do not condone the killing of innocents - whether those innocents are Protestant, Catholic or no religion, makes no difference.
    However, I'm not naive enough to believe that had Catholics not sought to defend themselves and their Communities in Ireland, that the status quo would have changed. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas, after all.

So would you like to tell me how on earth these "renegades" were supposed to join organisations that didn't yet exist?

Finally we get to the crux of the issue:
    i'm talking about the provos, which formed in 69/70

alot of ulster-prods were stuck in a rut too, ignorant of the plight of the other side, they lived seperate lives to catholics..some were involved in the civil rights movement..but the activites of the IRA made it difficult for protestants to have sympathy for the nationalist plight, they became alienated by it

You're talking about the PIRA, and I'm talking about the IRA - who never actually fully disbanded after the Irish civil war.. Rather, there was a split in the ranks, in the late 60s, I believe.
    Hence, we are talking about two different eras.

However - whether we are talking about the 1970s, 1890s, or 1919 onwards - the question remains:
    Were Protestants who saw injustice and wrongdoing "renegades" if they sought to change the status quo, thus presumably making them "bad" Protestants?

Should they automatically, because they were Protestant - supported the injustice that was being perpetrated against Catholics?
    While we're discussing the issue - do you think Irish Catholics had a right to self-defence? Not the killing of innocents with which you've tried to deflect the issue - but self-defence?
    Because whether Willie Frazer and his supporters choose to admit it or not, the whole sorry history of this Country, and the murder of innocents on both sides, comes down to that issue - the right of a people to defend themselves against oppression.

Not that Willie Frazer or his supporters would ever recognise that they are guilty of any wrongdoing - oh no, they're the blameless victims.:rolleyes:
    Sure no Irish Catholic or Irish Protestant who refused to conform to their notions of superiority, or to accept their "right" to conquer and subdue a Nation was ever murdered by their forces.:rolleyes:
    Not at all - it was all those jumped-up Paddies fault.
    Yeah - right!!!

While bigots of this nature can pull the victim card, and refuse to recognise their own failings - then the situation in Northern Ireland will remain a melting pot.
    That's not something I'd like to endorse. Hence, I will try to maintain a balanced viewpoint, and recognise that there were blameless victims on both sides - not Wiilie Frazers version that all Catholics (even children) are either in, or in training for, the IRA, while all Protestants/Unionists, even those who spout sectarian bile, are blameless victims.

lol the irony of this thread is that it has us acting like Willie Frazer.

lol the irony of this thread is that it has us acting like Willie Frazer.

I was wonder why I was looking for the Pope under my bed the other night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

lol the irony of this thread is that it has me acting like Willie Frazer.

FYP

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

RichieC wrote: »
    Yea, your poxy little sectarian mates are a dying breed. We'll be a better country for it.

I have no sectarian mates. What a silly assumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

I was wonder why I was looking for the Pope under my bed the other night...

Ah yeah.

Under a nationalist's bed. Typical.

Why not under anyone else's bed? What's wrong with unionists eh?

Yet more papism and IRAness (same thing anyway)

;)

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    FYP

How so? Do tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I have no sectarian mates. What a silly assumption.
    You are clearly one of those clowns who believes there is only one way to be Irish with your 'West Brit' horsesh!t.

You are clearly one of those clowns who believes there is only one way to be Irish with your 'West Brit' horsesh!t.

Another incorrect assumption. This is amusing. Go on, call me an IRA supporter. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Another incorrect assumption. This is amusing. Go on, call me an IRA supporter. :p

Well what other type of gormless drone calls people 'West Brits'?

Well what other type of gormless drone calls people 'West Brits'?

People who accept their existence.

I've reported you for personal abuse btw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement