Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To repeat or not?

• 18-05-2012 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

My daughters teacher has suggested to me that she repeat fourth class. She believes she will struggle in fifth. She has done brilliantly in fourth class, the teacher is extremely happy with her progress. As am I. I initially was worried when she was entering fourth class but she has come on brilliantly. She loves the work and has no problem doing her homework.

So what I'm wondering is, is it best to have her repeat what she is already so good at, or let her go on to fifth, have her possibly struggle, and then repeat fifth?

Would appreciate any knowledgeable feedback :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

Is there any reason why the teacher would suggest repeating 4th class if she has done so well? I would think she could get bored if she stayed back - also leaving her class friends would be a big change for her. I am surprised its been mentioned as repeating is such a big deal in my childrens school and its not an option the school makes available very much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It is not an easy thing to do. The Dept have a whole list of boxes to tick before they will even consider sanctioning a child staying back. It would normally be done at infant level. If the child has progressed well, I really would wonder what the reasoning is behind the teachers thoughts, age?. Has any other teacher commented similarily before now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A child usually has to be stuggling very badly academically before the DES will accept that they should repeat. As your daughter isn't,on what grounds does the teacher think that she may be allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I only spoke to the teacher briefly on the doorstep, but she feels she is too young; she was ten in Feb. There are a few others in the class who would have birthdays around the same time as her also.

I just wonder is she not better to repeat fifth, if she does struggle with it? Rather than having her get bored learning the same stuff all over again.

No other teacher has ever mentioned her staying back. She is only in this school since last year as we moved. I do know they teacher last year said she always wanted reassurance, she would also be the same at home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I think you need to talk to the teacher again and possibly the principal. Age is not generally allowed as a reason to stay back. Staying back can impact on a child's self esteem quite a lot and if she has coped with 4th class well, she may well be bored and turned off learning.Has she done her Drumcondra/Micra tests yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Her age shouldn't be too much of an influence. When I was in fourth class there was a girl who turned 10 at the end of May, she stayed with us and did fine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

She should be doing her standardised tests about now. Wait and see how they go. Once you have the results, have another chat with the teacher. If she gets on ok, I severly doubt if she should be staying back. It could cause more harm than good.
    If she is looking for 'constant reassurance', it might be a 'maturity' thing but all children mature differently, so hardly a reason in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I wouldnt consider 10 in feb to be too young for been in 4th class. If she is not struggling and is not very immature then I think you should let her move on. It makes no sense to try and fix a problem that hasnt happened.

Advertisement