Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards > Google

• 18-05-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭

I generally find boards way handier to answer questions specific to myself like "Do you remember that old grump from the shop across the way" or general local stuff like that. The human and (more importantly) irish crowd on this usually knows the answer.

Anyone think the same? Id obviously google more formal stuff like "Why do cats burry their pooh", but if i had specific questions like "Where did my shoes go", boards would be the site of choice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

So really, your saying:

boards > google for some things
    google > boards for other things.

Yep, think I summed that up nicely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

What colour should I dye my hair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭veryangryman

What colour should I dye my hair?

The pinker the better.

Your welcome

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Until Boards has an autofill function where it guesses the rest of your query whilst you type, I vote Google :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

The way I found my way to Boards was by seeing it as a top result on google with the topic tittles and posts really closely matching my own searches which were usually long rambling questions and deciding "feck google I'm going straight to the source".

Even before I joined I viewed baords as a place where every question an Irish person would ask has been asked and a place where every single topic has been covered. I used it for ages in place of yahoo answers or ask jeeves type things before jumping in and joining the fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I generally find boards way handier to answer questions specific to myself like "Do you remember that old grump from the shop across the way" or general local stuff like that. The human and (more importantly) irish crowd on this usually knows the answer.

Anyone think the same? Id obviously google more formal stuff like "Why do cats burry their pooh", but if i had specific questions like "Where did my shoes go", boards would be the site of choice.
    Shhhhh.... you'll make google angry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

if you spelled bury and poo correctly google might give you better results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If I'm bored sometimes I wear goggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

So really, your saying:

boards > google for some things
    google > boards for other things.

Yep, think I summed that up nicely!

A venn diagram would have helped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Google for 6,385,367,985 different answes in 2.43 seconds.

Boards for 6 smartarse answers if people can be arsed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

The pinker the better.

Your welcome

It's darkish purple/magenta atm, so I'll just go lighter - thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭veryangryman

It's darkish purple/magenta atm, so I'll just go lighter - thanks :)

:eek: Sorry i didnt know you were a woman - should have spotted the username!

I hope for my own sake that this is the last time i mistake genders. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Time to drop some knowledge:
    Its the difference between syntactic web and semantic web.
    Google is keyword based so it'll return results based on simply matching words in your search query.
    Boards, since its real people, can give answers based on the meaning of your query, regardless of the keywords used in it.

You're welcome :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Time to drop some knowledge:
    Its the difference between syntactic web and semantic web.
    Google is keyword based so it'll return results based on simply matching words in your search query.
    Boards, since its real people, can give answers based on the meaning of your query, regardless of the keywords used in it.

You're welcome :cool:

Jasus who let him in the club :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

The_B_Man wrote:
    <snip>

Look up IBM's watson for further info. They basically built a computer able to understand the MEANING of a sentence, or question on this case. Its very cool if you think about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFR3lOm_xhE

Advertisement