Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life changing advice

• 18-05-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭

Has anyone received advice in their lives that you really took onboard and it stuck with you?

We all hear of good advice and we think "That's important, I should live by that rule" but we hardly do.

Can anyone actually say they've taken on advice and can say that it has definitely changed or heavily impacted their lives?

Maybe it was advice a friend or family gave, maybe a celebrity or maybe the advice was from one of those old proverbs?

Comments

".... but trust me on the sunscreen...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

To be honest I'm not a fan of live changing advice. I prefer my changing advice to be pre-recorded and I just watch the edited highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

"A positive Outlook encourages positive events" if more people took this on board Ireland would be a little less depressing than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Green Mile wrote: »
    Has anyone received advice in their lives that you really took onboard and it stuck with you?

We all hear of good advice and we think "That's important, I should live by that rule" but we hardly do.

Can anyone actually say they've taken on advice and can say that it has definitely changed or heavily impacted their lives?

Maybe it was advice a friend or family gave, maybe a celebrity or maybe the advice was from one of those old proverbs?

Think your thread title should read "LIFE" changing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

A few very simple but effective ones:

Learn how to say "no" to people (an amazing amount of people can't)

Own up to your mistakes

Good manners go a long way

I generally do live by them - or at least try to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Teaching someone how to spell 'life' so that they can get good life changing advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I prefer my advice recorded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not a fan of live changing advice. I prefer my changing advice to be pre-recorded and I just watch the edited highlights.

Yikes, thanks for that :)
    I can't edit the title now though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

An uncle of mine on hearing I got engaged

"Being single is not having sex with lots of people, being married is not having sex with just one person".

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

"The harder you work the luckier you get"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Live changing advice sounds like a really shít premium phone line.

Listen to live changing advice 24/7. Change your life with live changing advice !

*Calls cost €5.80 per second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

SafeSurfer wrote: »

"Being single is not having sex with lots of people, being married is not having sex with just one person".

An Irish Yoda came to mind when I read your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

Teaching someone how to spell 'life' so that they can get good life changing advice.

Done. Good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

'The difference between being 17 and 27, is at 27 you look for the toilet paper BEFORE you start'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

SafeSurfer wrote: »

I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

"This above all: To thine own self be true
    And it must follow,as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Confab wrote: »
    I don't get it.

neither did he

Neither a borrower nor a lender be...

Life changing advice for me was to pull my trousers down before using the toilet. You would not believe how much of a difference it makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

NEVER expect a proper well informed answer thats helpful in After Hours

that was the single biggest piece of advice i learned when i first started using boards that i stick by.

• Advertisement

The more you smile, the more you'll smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Confab wrote: »
    Life changing advice for me was to pull my trousers down before using the toilet. You would not believe how much of a difference it makes.

ah your doing it wrong.... buy trousers with a button flap at the back... keeps ya warm while you sit on the throne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

The more you smile, the more you'll smile.

:)

That's actually really sweet!

I just might start saying it
    (In a Jim carey, Truman Show, wholesome type way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

If ya can't lift her, don't shift her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

life is full of obstacles.........just, find out why you put them there...

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    :)

That's actually really sweet!

I just might start saying it
    (In a Jim carey, Truman Show, wholesome type way)

Do! Say it! Spread the happiness!

And it's totally true too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allquestions

You'll never please everybody all of the time, so don't worry about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Stop worrying and start lovin the bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

"The second you look in the mirror and you’re happy with what you see, baby, you just lost the battle"

Dr. Perry Cox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Don't shit on your own doorstep!

Unfortunately I only got this advice after I got caught short, couldn't get the key in the door quick enough! Damn you pear cider :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

When the sign says do not feed the bears, man, you better not feed the bears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice"

Scooter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Derekmcauley7

"It's not hard to grow.... when you know that you just don't know."

Its a song lyric but it is something thing that is always on my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

when starting factory job few years ago boss says:
    "ill show u how to do something the first time, the second time you can do it and ill guide u through, the third time you're on your own. and if you still dont know how to do it you can f**k off"
    nice fellow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Stop trying to impress other people, they won't notice, because they are too busy trying to impress you.

• Advertisement

Yea to echo the above post and give a serious answer I think the only advice I was ever given that really shaped the way I went about my life for the better was that one should not judge oneself, ones achievements or ones abilities by the standards of others. The only person you need to be better than today is the person you were yesterday. Try to better yourself mentally and physically and morally and socially each day as best you can and all else will fall into place.

Not a day goes by therefore that I am not engaged in something which I think betters me. Improving some skill or other, working on my fitness, learning new knowledge or language - something, anything that improves upon the person I was the day before.

Yea to echo the above post and give a serious answer I think the only advice I was ever given that really shaped the way I went about my life for the better was that one should not judge oneself, ones achievements or ones abilities by the standards of others. The only person you need to be better than today is the person you were yesterday. Try to better yourself mentally and physically and morally and socially each day as best you can and all else will fall into place.

Not a day goes by therefore that I am not engaged in something which I think betters me. Improving some skill or other, working on my fitness, learning new knowledge or language - something, anything that improves upon the person I was the day before.

are you an alien.....et type...

are you an alien.....et type...

If there is life on other planets then we are ALL aliens to them.

However not sure I am seeing your point, soz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

"If you don't respect yourself, Nobody else will respect you either"

"Manners aren't hard to carry"

"Keep smiling, you never know who is falling in love with it"

"If you can't beat them, try harder"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

No-one can love you until you learn to love yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Proper preparation prevents p1ss poor performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch.

Never leave the house without that quick check!

razorblunt wrote: »
    Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch.

Never leave the house without that quick check!

A bit antiquated now though.

If there is life on other planets then we are ALL aliens to them.

However not sure I am seeing your point, soz.

with such good advice.....hard to believe you are from this planet.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Don't worry, be happy!

with such good advice.....hard to believe you are from this planet.....

Well as I said it was advice given to me - not from me - so perhaps the person who gave it to me was an alien. He was Eastern and they tend to have good advice if anyone stops to listen or manges to glean anything from their usual impentatratable but rather interesting literatures.

I am sure we can not rule K-Pax out entirely. That Alien had it worked out.

Still giving advice to others is one thing our species is really good at so I would not suspect anyone of being an alien for giving any - good or bad. Actually _following_ some of it yourself on the other hand... that can take some otherwordly magic for some people I have met dispensing it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

1. If you aim at nothing, then that's exactly what you will hit.
    2. A part of all you earn is yours to keep.
    3. Courtesy of Warren Buffet.

Rule #1: Don't lose Money.
    Rule #2: Don't forget Rule #1.

Well as I said it was advice given to me - not from me - so perhaps the person who gave it to me was an alien. He was Eastern and they tend to have good advice if anyone stops to listen or manges to glean anything from their usual impentatratable but rather interesting literatures.

I am sure we can not rule K-Pax out entirely. That Alien had it worked out.

Still giving advice to others is one thing our species is really good at so I would not suspect anyone of being an alien for giving any - good or bad. Actually _following_ some of it yourself on the other hand... that can take some otherwordly magic for some people I have met dispensing it. :)

my only advice is.....is you never expect anything.....you will never be disappointed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

"Striving for perfection is the root of unhappiness."

"The man who moved mountains began by carrying small stones"

I'm not usually one that takes to proverbs, but I try and keep those two in mind when I'm struggling with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Grobbelaar

I like this. Nice one taxAHcruel!

• Advertisement
Advertisement