Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life changing advice

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LylaElise

My dad died last year but its only in his death that I realise how well...wise he was.

He was usually a very optimistic man but this is one of the more cynical (but sadly true) things he said

"Never be too good at your job, you'll be considered indispensible in your role and never be considered for promotion. Its the lazy incompetent fecker that will be promoted just to be out of the way of a certain manager, before you know that lazy incomptenet fecker is your boss. Just the way it is..so never be too good at your job"

I never did follow that advice....neither did he. I think he preferred the respect that comes with being known as a hard worker than the riches that come with being a chancer.

I know I respect him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Stop trying to impress other people, they won't notice, because they are too busy trying to impress you.

Perfect. ;)
    a fat guy wrote: »
    No-one can love you until you learn to love yourself.

I dunno about that. I hear that one bandied about a fair bit and I don't believe it. I know I've been loved in the past when I didn't think much of myself and I've loved a man who I don't think liked himself at all. He just couldn't see the good stuff about himself but I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

"Your kids need a happy mama"

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

True 'Life-Changing Advice' comes into meaning when you tell pregnant women what smoking/drinking etc. can do to their child. This is literally 'life-changing'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

Dont eat yellow snow.

Dont worry about life, you'll never get out of it alive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

"Love many trust few and always paddle your own canoe".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Always stand by your decisions.

3 Months on after breaking up with my ex girlfriend, I hated myself for doing it. But there 2 weeks ago, after hearing something it all came back to me why I broke up with her. If I had of stood by my decision in the first place I could have been long over it.

So that's my advise. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

"people differ from each other, and no amount of getting after them is going to change them"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

"You can beat the wife, but you can't beat the craic"

Wait, am I doing it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

the only thing written in stone is your headstone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Confab wrote: »
    I don't get it.

I consently get both live and life confused (probably other things spelt wrong too) but the intention is right, I always try to rhyme it with knive and it is always the complete opposite Life ( the thing that live would do without a knive stuck in you) Life :) (so I have no probs with the OP getting confused over that, well done everyone who replied to correct that spelling mistake, you must be so purfect)

One thing I was thinking about to day, is how I was lead to believe, when I was 18/20 I would understand everything, I would be an adult and I could handle anything, cause it was my job to do that. I'm 43 now, and I know I know less than I did when I was 18/20, every question I find an answer for, throws 5 different question in the air. Life is the worst(thoughest) examine I have ever sat, but also the best. Thank god there is no right answers or we would all be screwed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    I consently get both live and life confused (probably other things spelt wrong too) but the intention is right, I always try to rhyme it with knive and it is always the complete opposite Life ( the thing that live would do without a knive stuck in you) Life :) (so I have no probs with the OP getting confused over that, well done everyone who replied to correct that spelling mistake, you must be so purfect)

One thing I was thinking about to day, is how I was lead to believe, when I was 18/20 I would understand everything, I would be an adult and I could handle anything, cause it was my job to do that. I'm 43 now, and I know I know less than I did when I was 18/20, every question I find an answer for, throws 5 different question in the air. Life is the worst(thoughest) examine I have ever sat, but also the best. Thank god there is no right answers or we would all be screwed :)

This is it your one act play, don't feck it up. (mind you if you do it brings depth to your character) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

my only advice is.....is you never expect anything.....you will never be disappointed..
    are you an alien.....et type...

If you're going to ....attempt to be any sort of a decent troll...don't use dots... it eh...undermines your ability...to really get under peoples ...skin...as has been seen ...in so many ..other threads.:pac:

....period.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Meaning that if you dont have sex offen enough, em you ah....Nevermind...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Not really advice, more of a statement, but 'life is short' is a line that influences most of my decisions.

Often it's the difference between me actually having a pair of (lady) balls and taking a risk and sitting on my as5 fretting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

lefty loosey righty tighty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Don't stick yer fork in that socket!

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

''leave the gun take the cannoli ''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You want to be rich, don't you?
    You see this book? This book tells the future.
    Tells the results of every major sports event till the end of this century.
    Football, baseball, horseraces, boxing.
    The information in here is worth millions, and I'm giving it to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

grow up - great advise, which I never get tired of hearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have to admit I took this rant about relationships from Scrubs to heart many years ago.

"Bottom line... is the couples that are truly right for each other wade through the same crap as everybody else but the big difference is they don't let it take 'em down. One of those two people will stand up and fight for that relationship every time."

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

don't try to save a ho, captain.

grow up - great advise, which I never get tired of hearing.

Did you manage it yet?

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Did you manage it yet?

in the last few minutes? NO, but your concern is touching.

in the last few minutes? NO, but your concern is touching.

And It's Genuine, I'm the Looker Outer for new Boardsies

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Be yourself your unique and talented, persevere in your goals and never give up, even if you fail nobody could ever accuse you of not trying.

I remember my Dad telling me that on a night where I felt like sh1t.

just be yourself - but not on the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cliffandclare

Learn to embrace and accept change , life is always changing, its a bit easier if you welcome the change rather than fight it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Never be hesitant or afraid to see a doctor or health professional. That's a pretty practical one that a lot of people could use I'm sure.

Nothing starts tomorrow. It starts now or never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Life is an interview for a job you didnt know you'd applied for gets truer and truer as life goes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

From my mother:
    "we have two ears and one mouth because we should listen twice as much as we speak"

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

You'll regret the things you don't do far more than the things you do.

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

A Paradox

1. It's not nice to be taken advantage of, so always be on the look out for the disingenuous types.

2. However, it's worse to never be open and trusting of people. Try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Getting screwed from time to time is a small price to pay.

The first piece of advice was given to me by my father, but the second is closer to the way that he actually conducts his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Never work for money, make your job somthing you enjoy doing and money will follow. I try and tell my employees this but not too many of them fall for it, they tend to want their money. By and large, it is true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭stek

Never argue with a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

Op here,

Muhammad Ali once said:

To be a champ you have to believe you're a champ, if you can't do that, you have to pretend

The above has definitely impacted my life positively, I just replace the word champ with confident or happy or whatever is apt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its funny how most of the advice people offer on life is about keeping your employer or partner happy :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Call no man foe, but never love a stranger.
    Build up no plan, nor any star pursue.
    Go forth with crowds; in loneliness is danger.
    Thus nothing God can send,
    And nothing God can do
    Shall pierce your peace, my friend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

"If someone is picking on you, find their weakness and use it against them".

Life-changing as it stopped me from being bullied ever again.

Advertisement