Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public transport protest?

• 18-05-2012 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

I just read about an interesting scheme that exists in France, Poland and Slovakia - a group of people using the public transport form a club and every month they put in some amount of money into the common budget.
    They use the public transport without valid tickets and when caught, they pay the fine from their monthly fees.
    They also exchange information on ticket controllers etc. and use a warning system to let others know where they are checking tickets at the moment.

What is your take on it? I personally am not so sure this is really a protest against the poor quality of public transport, rather an elaborate scheme to save money because the monthly fee and the chances of being caught are lower than paying for the tickets to use the public transport for regular users.
    I also doubt their impact on improvements of the quality, at the end of the day they don't pay, the money is missing and if the company decides to increase the fees, it certainly won't go into improvements.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bus w@nkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

(a) Its an elaborate scheme to be a cheapskate.
    (b) I doubt we'd have the organisational skills/critical mass to pull it off here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

It is being a cheapskate.

That said, public transport where I live is a rip off. As much as I love Germany, even Dublin has cheaper bus tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Dirtbags. That is all.

I don't see the protest part of your post? What are they supposed to be protesting about? All I see is a group of people determined to pay nothing at all, (or at least the bare minimum) while others still have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Prinz,

they claim this is their way of protesting the bad quality of public transport as they don't want to pay for something that isn't good. I'm just saying what they say, I don't condone it.

• Advertisement

haminka wrote: »
    Prinz,
    they claim this is their way of protesting the bad quality of public transport as they don't want to pay for something that isn't good. I'm just saying what they say, I don't condone it.

Utter stupidity, not from you but from them. Are they going to eat in a restaurant then do a runner without paying to protest about how bad the food/service was. As if public transport quality is going to improve the more people use it, but don't pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I just read about an interesting scheme that exists in France, Poland and Slovakia - a group of people using the public transport form a club and every month they put in some amount of money into the common budget.
    They use the public transport without valid tickets and when caught, they pay the fine from their monthly fees.
    They also exchange information on ticket controllers etc. and use a warning system to let others know where they are checking tickets at the moment.

What is your take on it? I personally am not so sure this is really a protest against the poor quality of public transport, rather an elaborate scheme to save money because the monthly fee and the chances of being caught are lower than paying for the tickets to use the public transport for regular users.
    I also doubt their impact on improvements of the quality, at the end of the day they don't pay, the money is missing and if the company decides to increase the fees, it certainly won't go into improvements.

Similar thing was tried in Berlin. They ran out of money to pay the fines about two/thirds of the way through the month.

Souple with the fact that being caught three times in a certain period of time results in a trip to court, it never caught on.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Prinz,

prinz wrote: »
    Utter stupidity, not from you but from them. Are they going to eat in a restaurant then do a runner without paying to protest about how bad the food/service was. As if public transport quality is going to improve the more people use it, but don't pay for it.

Have to agree with Prinz here: either pay for it or don't use it. I would like to know what.

Would have to know exactly what their problem is with the transport. If they're in Paris, for example, they really can't complain!

dmcronin wrote: »
    (a) Its an elaborate scheme to be a cheapskate.
    (b) I doubt we'd have the organisational skills/critical mass to pull it off here.

... coupled with the fact that bus drivers won't even let you on if you don;t have a ticket!

Surely if they have an issue with investment in transport infrastructure it would be more beneficial to organise a mass boycott of the transport system. Even one day. Or one day a week for a few weeks. Or they'd refuse to pay the fines to draw more attention to their cause and so on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    If they're in Paris, for example, they really can't complain!

I was there one year during a strike and the transport was still great because the had the Metro still running. Other trains and some buses stopped I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I'm in Slovakia and I see nothing wrong with the transport here. I pay 50eur for 3 month ticket, hardly breaking the bank.
    You'd be lucky to see a ticket inspector couple of time a year and I use it everyday.
    Sounds like they are just to tight to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think there's one of these protests already on the Luas Red Line :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I personally am not so sure this is really a protest against the poor quality of public transport, rather an elaborate scheme to save money because the monthly fee and the chances of being caught are lower than paying for the tickets to use the public transport for regular users.

This.

It's not a protest. It's just their way of justifying it to themselves when in fact they're just stealing a service for free. I don't blame them. If you can get away with it, people will. If you hopped on a train and genuinely didn't have time to get a ticket and there was no conductor, would you pay for a ticket once you got off? Course you wouldn't, you've just gotten away with it.

I know someone who commutes into London everyday and refuses to pay the extortionate season ticket prices. He's got on the train everyday for close to 2 years and just chanced it. He's been caught a few times but he says the benefits outweigh the costs. He says he's saved about £4000 doing this.

I don't have the balls to do it personally. When I've done it, I'm always looking over my shoulder for the conductor and I can never relax on the journey. I prefer to have a stress free journey rather than saving myself a few quid. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

This.

It's not a protest. It's just their way of justifying it to themselves when in fact they're just stealing a service for free. I don't blame them. If you can get away with it, people will. If you hopped on a train and genuinely didn't have time to get a ticket and there was no conductor, would you pay for a ticket once you got off? Course you wouldn't, you've just gotten away with it.

I know someone who commutes into London everyday and refuses to pay the extortionate season ticket prices. He's got on the train everyday for close to 2 years and just chanced it. He's been caught a few times but he says the benefits outweigh the costs. He says he's saved about £4000 doing this.

I don't have the balls to do it personally. When I've done it, I'm always looking over my shoulder for the conductor and I can never relax on the journey. I prefer to have a stress free journey rather than saving myself a few quid. :cool:

I said it's being a cheapskate, but I'm also one!

And your friend is right. Where I am the tram is 2.30 euro for a journey that is four stops or more. So essentially me going into town takes about 7-10 minutes, a return trip is basically a fiver. I've lived here for nearly a year and I have only seen inspectors twice, the second time I got caught without paying.

43 euro for a year's worth of transport... It's a good deal.

Advertisement