Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should wiger go to oz?

Options
  • 18-05-2012 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone!
    So the lads ive known since school are packing up and heading to the land of oz. They really want me to go with them but I'm 50/50 on it, the reason being I've no qualifications to speak of tbh and having worked ****ty jobs all my life I had planned to head to college myself in September to finally remedy that particular situation. I've gotten a few opinions from different people who have been there and done that 'when they were young' and each time I'm told I'll regret it if I don't go and the college will still be there in a year or two but I'm still torn. I mean had I done the college thing already then for sure I'd be gone in a flash but I'm just wondering as well would I even be able to get a job over there with nothing more than a couple of fetac certs I only did to boost my chances of being accepted to college. I mean I'm 27 now and was hoping I'd have my degree by the age of 30/31. All in all it's a balls but I have found the people of boards to be extremely helpful over the years so opinions please? :D Thanks everyone in advance. :D
    PS. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place but I'm on the bloody android and its a bit messy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You'll be doing the same ****ty jobs in Australia, the only thing is the weather will be nicer. Go to college and ensure you can earn a better job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

You'll be doing the same ****ty jobs in Australia, the only thing is the weather will be nicer. Go to college and ensure you can earn a better job.
    Yeah super furry, that's what I've been thinking myself, that's it at the end of the day isn't it? Thanks. Tryed to thank your post but stupid phone wont let me.

Sorry in advance about those + symbols in my posts everyone, my laptop is screwed so I'm using my phone and those symbols always come up for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I got your back there wiger

Zambia wrote: »
    I got your back there wiger
    Ha Ha cheers zambia :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Hello everyone!
    So the lads ive known since school are packing up and heading to the land of oz. They really want me to go with them but I'm 50/50 on it, the reason being I've no qualifications to speak of tbh and having worked ****ty jobs all my life I had planned to head to college myself in September to finally remedy that particular situation. I've gotten a few opinions from different people who have been there and done that 'when they were young' and each time I'm told I'll regret it if I don't go and the college will still be there in a year or two but I'm still torn. I mean had I done the college thing already then for sure I'd be gone in a flash but I'm just wondering as well would I even be able to get a job over there with nothing more than a couple of fetac certs I only did to boost my chances of being accepted to college. I mean I'm 27 now and was hoping I'd have my degree by the age of 30/31. All in all it's a balls but I have found the people of boards to be extremely helpful over the years so opinions please? :D Thanks everyone in advance. :D
    PS. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place but I'm on the bloody android and its a bit messy.
    I have been in your situation,worked as a labourer during the boom years,never got qualifications.I went to Oz for a year and realised that you wont get any decent job out there without a qualification.So know I am back in Ireland and heading to collage in September,I am 24 years of age and will be finished collage by 27,probably head back to Oz then,great money for trained professionals out there.
    People constantly ask me now 'When are you heading back to Oz?' and my answer is always 'No panic,Australia isn't going anywhere,it will always be there.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I have been in your situation,worked as a labourer during the boom years,never got qualifications.I went to Oz for a year and realised that you wont get any decent job out there without a qualification.So know I am back in Ireland and heading to collage in September,I am 24 years of age and will be finished collage by 27,probably head back to Oz then,great money for trained professionals out there.
    People constantly ask me now 'When are you heading back to Oz?' and my answer is always 'No panic,Australia isn't going anywhere,it will always be there.'

Great attitude mate! So many fookers sitting on their arse back in Ireland talking about how sh1t everything is and making no effort to change their situation. Hope it all goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

The working holiday visa is only available to you until you are 30 and you will find it hard to get a skilled visa from Ireland if you are just out of college.

Once the working holiday visa is approved it will last for one year and then you must enter Oz before you are 31, you may be tight on time.

So you can go now stay for a max of 2 years with the second year working holiday or go to college now and work for a few years when you come out and then apply for a skilled visa or get a someone to sponsor you on a 457

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

if he goes to college now for 4 yrs (27,28,29,30) apply for the whv just before he turns 30 finish college during that year and enter australia before the age of 31. go straight for his rural work to get 2nd year visa, then get a job in his profession and hopefully get a 457 sponsorship.
    it will be tight but doable.

depends on DOB really

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Is that not what i said...

If he's 27 now the closest he will be finished college doing a 4 year degree is end of May 2016 so he'l have turned 31

Good luck Wiga i got in a month before i turned 31 having went back to college at 25 finished at 30, failing 1st year because of one subject and not having studied in so long but came good in the end i would go to college first Oz and Canada will als be here but college takes 4 years and thats a big chunk (5 yeras if your me lol)

Best decision i ever made was staying at it, do the same man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Smile it confuses people

Hello everyone!
    That's a toughie!! If u want to go for the experience and to travel and enjouy yourself I'd say go and come back to college but if you want to go for the money and the work I'd say stay and do college!

I'm in a pretty similar situation choosing between college and oz but its better for me to put off college until I'm a mature student so that made my decision for me

Best of luck either way though!

Advertisement