Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't I get broadband?

Options
  • 18-05-2012 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I put this query through Eircom website a week ago, but despite being told I would get a response within 24 hrs I have still not heard anything. Maybe someone here can help/advise:

I am trying to get broadband for my house. Until about a month ago I was an Eircom business a/c holder. After being told by my neighbours straight across the road that they had broadband through Eircom, I called to put through an order. I was told by the Eircom business representative that the line was not currently set up for broadband but that this could be arranged but may take 1-2 weeks. I said that was ok and we discussed price plans. We then realised that as our phone was not really being used for the business much any longer, we would be better to change to a regular home package. He said that if I did this I should wait 48 hrs before ringing to put through the broadband order (when the a/c was changed over). I called back in about a week and was told by the operator that our line was not set up for broadband and there was nothing she could do about this. She said that maybe the business dept have different abilities with regard to this and I could try calling them. I did this and received the same story from the Eircom business rep that I spoke to. She said that there were a number of reasons that the line could come up as not operational for broadband. She could not tell me what the actual reason was, how I could find this out or when it would be operational.

I think this is completely unacceptable. Our neighbours have Eircom broadband, many people up + down the road have Eircom broadband so surely someone from Eircom must be able to provide a specific reason as to why we can't currently get broadband, what can be done about this and when will it be done. This is 2012, we live just over a mile from a large town which has broadband and less than one mile from a major motorway, i.e. we are not living 10 miles down some rural peninsula. Advice on a solution to this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Did you ever have broadband on that line or was/is it an ISDN line??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brolin

Thanks for the reply. No - we never had broadband on the line. I don't know if it is an ISDN line - how would I find that out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There'd be a box in the house with lights on it you plug the phone into.

It can take eircom some time ...2 weeks...to test your line after activation. Changing account may do that.

Try the Homevision checker here.

http://www.homevision.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Brolin wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. No - we never had broadband on the line. I don't know if it is an ISDN line - how would I find that out?
    Hi Brolin
    Can you PM me your exact address, any previous eircom account details for this address or any order numbers you may have been issued. I can have a look and get some clarity here. It may be that there are currently no available ports to facilitate broadband from your exchange. Will be able to advise as soon as I have the details.
    Tony

Advertisement