Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in Essex & Kent

• 18-05-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I am a newly qualified secondary school teacher of Maths.

I have been searching jobs in Ireland and England.

Obviously not so many jobs in Ireland but loads in England.

I have registered with many recruitment companies. Almost all of them have jobs in South East England, i.e London and surrounding areas, i.e. Essex and Kent.

My question is why are there so many jobs available in Essex?

From the recruiters I have spoken to I get the impression I could have a maths job in these areas in the morning.

Has anybody taught in Essex?
    Is there a catch?
    Seems too good to be true.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Usually these are schools that find it very difficult to recruit due to many issues with pupil behaviour. With your subject you should look for work on TES to be employed by a school rather than an agency. Agencies don't pay you for holidays, and that can be off putting. Plus you can get a better school.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mcdbd

podwyer1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a newly qualified secondary school teacher of Maths.

I have been searching jobs in Ireland and England.

Obviously not so many jobs in Ireland but loads in England.

I have registered with many recruitment companies. Almost all of them have jobs in South East England, i.e London and surrounding areas, i.e. Essex and Kent.

My question is why are there so many jobs available in Essex?

From the recruiters I have spoken to I get the impression I could have a maths job in these areas in the morning.

Has anybody taught in Essex?
    Is there a catch?
    Seems too good to be true.

Did you watch the show on Channel 4, Educating Essex?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Hi,

I am going to teach in Kent this summer for about 7 weeks to see if I like it. I'm just finishing up the PDE and trying to give myself an edge for job opportunities here ( if there are any?!) I have gotten work through an agency but if I do plan on staying the the UK i'll head out on my own. The agency have been really helpful so far sorting out CRB, contracts etc.

I really want to work and gain some experience, hence going, but ultimately want to work here due to relationship etc.

I can keep you posted on my experiences if you like? I start teaching around 11th of June and finish up in late July.

Also, does this seem like a good plan? Will it give me an extra edge over other teachers of similar subject? I'm an English teacher.

Any info or advice from anyone who has been to Kent etc before is welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 podwyer1

Heydeldel wrote: »
    Hi,

I am going to teach in Kent this summer for about 7 weeks to see if I like it. I'm just finishing up the PDE and trying to give myself an edge for job opportunities here ( if there are any?!) I have gotten work through an agency but if I do plan on staying the the UK i'll head out on my own. The agency have been really helpful so far sorting out CRB, contracts etc.

I really want to work and gain some experience, hence going, but ultimately want to work here due to relationship etc.

I can keep you posted on my experiences if you like? I start teaching around 11th of June and finish up in late July.

Also, does this seem like a good plan? Will it give me an extra edge over other teachers of similar subject? I'm an English teacher.

Any info or advice from anyone who has been to Kent etc before is welcome!

Hi,

I think it is a great idea. Fair dues for taking the initiative.
    Any experience has to give you an advantage.

I'd love to know how you get on with it.

What agency did you deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 podwyer1

mcdbd wrote: »
    Did you watch the show on Channel 4, Educating Essex?

No? Should I?
    Where would I find it now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

channel4.com/4od will have it to stream, its a bit of an eye opener!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Educating Essex is a must-see for anyone thinking about teaching in England!

I'd second going through the TES rather than a recruiting agency. You have to sort out your own travel to the interview, but then you get to be paid properly for the year and you're more likely to get a proper permanent contract.

A maths teacher not fussy about location could have half a dozen interviews for next week. However, the iron is hot now for striking. Most schools like to have staffing sorted out for September before June. I had interviews in Feb/Mar this year and last year.

You do want to be a fairly tough nut with thick skin to deal with the behaviour though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pjfogar

Educating Essex is a must-see for anyone thinking about teaching in England!

I'd second going through the TES rather than a recruiting agency. You have to sort out your own travel to the interview, but then you get to be paid properly for the year and you're more likely to get a proper permanent contract.

A maths teacher not fussy about location could have half a dozen interviews for next week. However, the iron is hot now for striking. Most schools like to have staffing sorted out for September before June. I had interviews in Feb/Mar this year and last year.

You do want to be a fairly tough nut with thick skin to deal with the behaviour though!

Stay clear of the isle of sheppey!

OMG I'm in the Isle of Sheppey now!

I start on Monday. No idea what to expect. A teacher here told me I'd 'cut my teeth here' and that the PDE is no preparation!

Bit scared now, but bring it on! Nothing else to do here so actually looking forward to working next week.

podwyer1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I think it is a great idea. Fair dues for taking the initiative.
    Any experience has to give you an advantage.

I'd love to know how you get on with it.

What agency did you deal with?

In response to you podwyer1, I went with Uteach. I'm happy with them so far.

I'm trying to give myself an edge when it comes to applying for jobs at home.

I have no idea what to expect really. The lessons are 75 mins long here so it could go either way!

I'll keep in touch with my experiences. I hope to come away from here a better teacher...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Pjfogar

Heydeldel wrote: »
    OMG I'm in the Isle of Sheppey now!

I start on Monday. No idea what to expect. A teacher here told me I'd 'cut my teeth here' and that the PDE is no preparation!

Bit scared now, but bring it on! Nothing else to do here so actually looking forward to working next week.

Good luck!!! You'll need it....

Really?? I've managed to convince myself all will be well. Can you pm me for more specifics? Have you taught here? Any advice or tips?? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I think in Irish schools the discipline is a little more - not strict - but applicable.

An English friend told me that teachers have been stood upon for decades to the point where students have almost complete run of SOME schools. Particularly state-run schools.

Expect a few trouble makers and realize that they're not used to being dealt with in the same manner they would be in an Irish school.

Also watch Educating Essex. And grow a skin as thick as leather.

Good luck though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The upside of course being if you can teach there, you can teach anywhere.

We're not too far behind 'Educating Essex' in a number of Irish schools. No doubt it's the teachers' fault.

Had my induction day today. I have to say their system is so different!

I know I will be pushed here. But, there seems to be a lot of staff support and staff working together and watching out for each other, even to the point of popping in to the difficult classes to keep an eye on things. It feels much more open and it's OK to admit that you're having trouble because even the well established teachers have trouble. I've found it's not necessarily as supportive in some Irish schools.

I hope the experience pays off and I can take the going! I think I'm just going to be very chilled and not get too stressed over certain issues. Well, I say that now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

I have been teaching in Essex for three years now and I love it. I am at a school graded satisfactory by Ofsted. We have difficult kids but we also have amazingly bright students.

We support each other a lot more, there is better opportunities for training (my school is currently paying for my masters) but the summer holidays are shorter!

I sometimes think about going back to Ireland if I could get a job but deep down I dont see that happening any time soon.

I picked where I live because of the airports and train links so be practical when deciding where to live. Also dont just go with the first school that offers you a job. If you have any questions please just ask.

Best of luck!

I agree, I went with the first one I was offered, it all happened very quickly and I think I could have been more choosy. I'd spend more time next time thinking about where I would like to live.

Lots of opps for training and development here and seems very flexible compared to home. Plus lots of oops for progression in your career.

Pity the job situation is so bad at home, but it has forced us to be adventurous and a bit braver. It's great to see how others teach and get new perspectives on educational matters.

Hard to know if there's any point trying for jobs at home as an NQT with so many more experienced teachers already looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

How are you getting on have you settled in?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Heading over to London in a weeks time, got a job in a school in North West London through a recruitment agency. Delighted with the process so far, can be a tad bit unorganised looking at times, but have been great a supportive along the way.

I did go with the first school that offered me a job because I felt so good in the school when I went to teach the lesson - full time contract for the year, so very happy with things. Have to head over for induction training in the coming weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Was that through engage education?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Lord Bafford

Heading over to London in a weeks time, got a job in a school in North West London through a recruitment agency. Delighted with the process so far, can be a tad bit unorganised looking at times, but have been great a supportive along the way.

I did go with the first school that offered me a job because I felt so good in the school when I went to teach the lesson - full time contract for the year, so very happy with things. Have to head over for induction training in the coming weeks

Maybe the experience will help temper your anti-British attitude that I've noticed in several of your posts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Was that through engage education?

Yeah, it was

• Registered Users Posts: 20 quinn1

I teach in a school in Colchester in Essex at the minute. When I came first I was in SHOCK at the behaviour of the kids. I got threatened with physical abuse and the verbal abuse still continues. I am in a rough school however. My advice is, grow a thick skin quickly, don't let them see that they've got to you, prepare interesting lessons and ALWAYS STICK TO SCHOOL POLICY ON DICLIPINE. Eventually they cave. No matter what school you go to, its do-able. We're Irish, we've been through worse. And we can (eventually) bring home what we've learned to better the Irish Education system:)

Yeah in fairness it is great to experience a different system. It gives more perspective on the strengths and weaknesses of our own.

I enjoy the banter you can have with students here, and if they know you're intent on helping them they appreciate it - most of them anyway.

Now that I know what to expect with the curriculum and how the system works over here I'd be less daunted if I decide to come back. It's definitely worth working over here for the experience.

I think I threw myself into the deep end to be honest and If I come back I'll find a school and area which suit me more.

That's the beauty of working here too - there's real choice in where you can work. Unlike home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bolanderzz

Hey, I have an interview for a school in Colchester this week for a teaching job... any quick advice?

Advertisement