Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor 3G connection on an american Iphone

• 18-05-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭

Just back from working in the US. I unlocked my Iphone and signed up to a bill plan with Meteor that gives 3G. I cant seem to get the 3g working while all other areas are fine, i.e phone calls and texts.

I rang meteor and they said to sync it with Itunes and still no luck... One thing I noticed is that in the network settings there is no option to connect to a 3g network and there seems to be differences in the network settings compared to a 4s my friend has... any input?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Is it that you're just not getting 3G or you're not getting data at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,647 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have you configured the apn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

Kensington, yeah my phone is not picking up the 3g at all.... I have checked on another Iphone and it picks it up fine...

Ted1 im not sure what this is?

I think I have figured out what the source of the problem is... When I was over in Amercia, AT&T upgraded to 4g instead of 3g. So that may be the problem... So when I go to the network settings 'Cellular data' is the only option... There is no 3g option..
    Does anyone know how to switch a 4s back to 3g??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The phone won't display "3G" unless the phone's connected to a UMTS / HSPA data network.

If the data settings are incorrect i.e. it's looking for the AT&T APN, but it's on Meteor's network, then you'll just get nothing other than the signal strength as there is no active data network setup.

Is the phone unlocked properly?

You need to either access the APN configuration (hidden on locked iPhones) or update the carrier file.

The iPhone 4s does not support 4G or LTE, so it's nothing to do with AT&T's LTE rollout in some areas.

iPhones 4s specs:

UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Meteor's frequencies are highlighted in blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Go to settings>general>reset and tap reset network settings. The phone will restart but it should prompt it to use the meteor IPCC instead of the at&t one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

i have an Irish ip4s ..i get full 3g most of the time...but only half the time can get a working data connection if Im off wireless,
    its a feckin meteor thing, they have acknowledged it, but Im still waiting for a carrier update for months now

Solair, cheers for the reply... No its not unlocked properly.. I was sent on a short term assignment to the US, where the terms of my contract were to get a iphone, which would remain my property after I came back. As you may know, AT&T are unbelievably sticky about unlocking iphone 4s's.

As a result I got the gevey sim Ultra S. That has unlocked the phone....

In terms of your comments in relation to the specs,
    "UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)"
    Is there somewhere on the iphone where I can input this data? Theres hadly a easy solution to this is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 James Doyle123

bazzer86 wrote: »
    Solair, cheers for the reply... No its not unlocked properly.. I was sent on a short term assignment to the US, where the terms of my contract were to get a iphone, which would remain my property after I came back. As you may know, AT&T are unbelievably sticky about unlocking iphone 4s's.

As a result I got the gevey sim Ultra S. That has unlocked the phone....

In terms of your comments in relation to the specs,
    "UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)"
    Is there somewhere on the iphone where I can input this data? Theres hadly a easy solution to this is there?

If your looking for an unlock give these guys a call they unlocked my iphone 4s from OZ and he said that he could do AT&T dont know prices but my Oz iphone unlock was €50 and took 12 hours www.gadgetrepair.ie

There's nothing to input into the phone in terms of network radio frequency information. Your iPhone is connected to Meteor 3G already. The problem is most likely that the data settings (server / APN) information is still pointing at AT&T.

The 3G icon appears when there is a successfully connected data connection. If the phone is making and receiving voice calls and texts, you're already communicating with meteor, you just have incorrect APN data settings.

Unfortunately, iPhones hide these settings when a recognised iPhone carrier's sim is inserted.

Try this:

go into the settings and about menus and check the carrier file version. This should be saying meteor and a version number, not at&t

with your computer connected to the Internet connect your iPhone to iTunes. Sync phone and check for software updates.
    Your iPhone should realise that it is on Meteor and iTunes should fetch a new carrier file with meteor data and mms settings.

If that fails, I'd factory reset the phone with the SIM out, then insert meteor sim and activate the phone by connecting to iTunes (with computers connected to the Internet)

if that fails, I would suspect that your iPhone is still locked to AT&G data settings.

yeah it looks that way! I did the restore on Itunes, for some reason on Itunes in the section where it says phone number it says N/A... Cant seem to put in my own number. As a result the sync is making no difference at all...

When I tried to restore it, I took out the sim, and resotred it... Once I stard off the process and put in the details it searches for the network. I checked the carrier in the about settings and for a brief period it switched over to Meteor 12.0. Once I put in the sim and get it hooked up it went back to AT&T 12.0. Seems strange.

Would that mean its locked to at&t as the carrier?

• Advertisement

yeah it looks that way! I did the restore on Itunes, for some reason on Itunes in the section where it says phone number it says N/A... Cant seem to put in my own number. As a result the sync is making no difference at all...

When I tried to restore it, I took out the sim, and resotred it... Once I stard off the process and put in the details it searches for the network. I checked the carrier in the about settings and for a brief period it switched over to Meteor 12.0. Once I put in the sim and get it hooked up it went back to AT&T 12.0. Seems strange.

Would that mean its locked to at&t as the carrier?

Unlike other phones, Apple's carrier settings are controlled by a carrier-file that's downloaded via iTunes / over the air.
    When the phone's connected to an iPhone-approved network like Meteor or AT&T it automatically retrieves those settings. The user has no access to them at all.

If you put in a non-iPhone network's microsim e.g. Tesco Mobile, you will see the APN settings menu appear.

This is how the settings would appear if the phone wasn't hiding them : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2283

It sounds like your phone for some reason hasn't been fully unlocked.

Try inserting a Vodafone or O2 SIM into the phone and see if you've any luck. It should pick up their settings too.

Failing that, I'd suggest you might have to try contacting AT&T and seeing if the phone can be unlocked again.

There's absolutely no reason why an AT&T iPhone, assuming it's unlocked, wouldn't work with a Meteor SIM.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Solair wrote: »
    Unlike other phones, Apple's carrier settings are controlled by a carrier-file that's downloaded via iTunes / over the air.
    When the phone's connected to an iPhone-approved network like Meteor or AT&T it automatically retrieves those settings. The user has no access to them at all.

If you put in a non-iPhone network's microsim e.g. Tesco Mobile, you will see the APN settings menu appear.

This is how the settings would appear if the phone wasn't hiding them : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2283

It sounds like your phone for some reason hasn't been fully unlocked.

Try inserting a Vodafone or O2 SIM into the phone and see if you've any luck. It should pick up their settings too.

Failing that, I'd suggest you might have to try contacting AT&T and seeing if the phone can be unlocked again.

There's absolutely no reason why an AT&T iPhone, assuming it's unlocked, wouldn't work with a Meteor SIM.

In a previous post the OP says it wasn't unlocked by AT&T, but with a Gevey sim.....

whiterebel wrote: »
    In a previous post the OP says it wasn't unlocked by AT&T, but with a Gevey sim.....

The thread's long and I'm busy! So, I didn't actually get a chance to read every post in detail!!!

To get data to work, you need to modify the APN settings. So your alternatives are:

1) Just use the phone on WiFi and invest in a "MiFi" device from Meteor or someone else for data.

2) Get the phone officially unlocked, assuming it's out of contract. AT&T may be sticky, but you might have to just be persistent.

3) If all else fails, look at unlocking/jail-breaking options.

Solair wrote: »
    The thread's long and I'm busy! So, I didn't actually get a chance to read every post in detail!!!

To get data to work, you need to modify the APN settings. So your alternatives are:

1) Just use the phone on WiFi and invest in a "MiFi" device from Meteor or someone else for data.

2) Get the phone officially unlocked, assuming it's out of contract. AT&T may be sticky, but you might have to just be persistent.

3) If all else fails, look at unlocking/jail-breaking options.

Thanks for the input soliar, perhaps I should have been clearer about the phone being unlocked by a gevey.

The annoying thing is that AT&T wont unlock it..Its annoying because they said that I need to fulfill the minimum 2 years that are required for a 4s to be unlocked for a bill phone. This is annoying because I was sent to the US for 3 months with work so I was never going to be able to fulfill the 2 years minimum.

My employer is an organisation that employs 50k + people in America, who give phones to all employees with bills paid. AT&T is one of the preferred providers with the company, so I would have expect that they would have a plan for people like me that are only there for a short period, that will get a phone and have a short period of bills.

I did hear from another 'secondee' who had a 4s AT&T, that they were able to unlock the phone with 3g with the GEYEY by going into 'SIM applications in the phone settings and doing some trick. My phone isnt showing the 'sim applications' option... seems this phone is doomed to never have 3g...

I am however going back to the US next year so when I get a new phone il be sure to use Verizon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

A Verizon iPhone won't work here. There's awful ****e being posted above regards carrier files aswell. Unless its a new carrier iOS has a copy of IPCC for every recognised network in the world and activates it when you insert a sim

• Registered Users Posts: 29 James Doyle123

Thanks for the input soliar, perhaps I should have been clearer about the phone being unlocked by a gevey.

The annoying thing is that AT&T wont unlock it..Its annoying because they said that I need to fulfill the minimum 2 years that are required for a 4s to be unlocked for a bill phone. This is annoying because I was sent to the US for 3 months with work so I was never going to be able to fulfill the 2 years minimum.

My employer is an organisation that employs 50k + people in America, who give phones to all employees with bills paid. AT&T is one of the preferred providers with the company, so I would have expect that they would have a plan for people like me that are only there for a short period, that will get a phone and have a short period of bills.

I did hear from another 'secondee' who had a 4s AT&T, that they were able to unlock the phone with 3g with the GEYEY by going into 'SIM applications in the phone settings and doing some trick. My phone isnt showing the 'sim applications' option... seems this phone is doomed to never have 3g...

I am however going back to the US next year so when I get a new phone il be sure to use Verizon...

Verizon wont work outside USA I think they use a differant network or theres a chip in phone instead of a sim, if buying in USA make sure it takes a sim card and is a GSM phone not a USA only phone

Yeah I had a look at Gadget repair. Im after getting an email today from someone with the same problem. Looks like our employer may be able to go to AT&T and get them to unlock it directly... The email from the contact in the US looks promising so il try that and if not il just get gadget repair to do it! Thanks

AT&t unlocked it do now it's all working!

Advertisement