Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kids murdered for parents wanting a bigger council house?

• 18-05-2012 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

http://m.dailymail.co.uk/mobile/news/article.html?articleID=2145681

I dont know if anybody else was following this story but it just continues to shock me, first the fact all of their 6 children died (RIP), then to find out it was done delibritely... and now the suggestion the motive was because somebody was annoyed they had a big family on welfare and were seeking more benefits... just crazy.

I know it was insesitve for the journlist to speculate (putting it mildly) but if its the truth should she not report it? I didnt see the tv interview yet btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Yup...this is really disturbing and has suggestions of a vile crime however, bit long in the tooth to be believing all the press report...I'll wait to pass judgement when someone is put forward for trial and the evidence and facts emerge......not enough info to make a judgment thus far imho.........

So very sad and whoever created this tragedy, hanging is too good!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Thanks to the limerick sort looking for a bigger gaff prior to this, this one just bores me, don't care what happened...what's next in the news?
    Well after seeing attitudes like this and similar shite expressed in the thread about the aforementioned Limerick woman, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the woman in the article is right.

Edit: I see your ninja editing skills are like your attitude - a load of bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Carol Malone is a vile woman. We know the fire was arson but no one yet knows who started it or why. I've no doubt there are people out there sick enough to do something like that but this kind of speculation is not helpful to a family going through hell right now. I get really angry when I see ignorant journalists using a very private tragedy to get talked about. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Well after seeing attitudes like this and similar shite expressed in the thread about the aforementioned Limerick woman, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the woman in the article is right.

Thanks I had deleted my post because I didn't read the article & mistook it for something else.

Edit: Deleted by own accord well before your post, and I'm perfectly entitled to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

What sort of scumbag sets fire to a house knowing there's kids in it. It makes no difference what the family situation was. No one deserves this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shameless attempt by the Daily Mail to make this look like an attack on the welfare classes, i.e. their key demographic.

Most likely that someone in the family had made bad blood with another local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

seamus wrote: »
    Shameless attempt by the Daily Mail to make this look like an attack on the welfare classes, i.e. their key demographic.

Everybody that reads the mail is on welfare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

eviltwin wrote: »
    Carol Malone is a vile woman.

i have no idea who the woman is and i dont think i'll google to find out now either, if this is pure opinion/speculation/gossip from her

Anyways god help that family, i cant even imagine what they are going through

stovelid wrote: »

I think he means its the key group they love to attack, every second article is about how people on welfare are scum, makes a change from them attacking mothers I guess though.

sorry i can post the link to be bbc article? its pretty much the same

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Who said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The Daily Mail just change their **** up every second week.

The only good thing about that paper is everyone has the chance to be portrayed as either scum or a victim, depending on the mood of the editor.

I may be reading this wrong, but it looks to me that the "welfare classes" are their smallest demographic.

http://www.nmauk.co.uk/nma/do/live/factsAndFigures?newspaperID=10#demographic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I know it was insesitve for the journlist to speculate (putting it mildly) but if its the truth should she not report it?
    Boom! Head explodes!

How can a journalists specualtion be the truth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

davet82 wrote: »
    if its the truth should she not report it? I didnt see the tv interview yet btw.

Of course she should but you need to have proof that its the truth first. Speculation isnt the truth and to speculate about that at a time when a family has lost 6 kids is fcukin disgusting.

I may be reading this wrong, but it looks to me that the "welfare classes" are their smallest demographic.

http://www.nmauk.co.uk/nma/do/live/factsAndFigures?newspaperID=10#demographic
    C2DE is 37% of their readership. I stand corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

syklops wrote: »
    Boom! Head explodes!

Journalist speculates.

Speculation turns out to be true.

Journalist's speculation = truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Who said that?

dont they get it free when they collect their dole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A typical fan of the Mail is an Alan Partridge type I reckon.

What a cunt.

I've been victim to journalists trying to make names for themselves. It's downright nasty.

RIP those poor kids.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    Journalist takes a gamble.

Gamble turns out to be true.

Journalists gamble pays off, journalist gets big bonus.
    Journalists gamble doesn't pay off, dozens of people hurt or worse. Journalist goes for a smoke and a coffee and finds new story to speculate on

FYP

To be fair to Malone (and believe me, I don't type those words easily), reading between the lines of the couple of news reports I've seen about this story, I came to the same conclusion.

Now, maybe this is what people in the area are speculating and the other news agencies aren't just blurting it out like Malone is.

Now, maybe this is what people in the area are speculating and the other news agencies aren't just blurting it out like Malone is.

That's just it though. Come to your own conclusion but for gods sake let the family grieve without basically saying "your kids are dead because you wanted a bigger house".I know I'm maybe sensationalising but I really think that's essentially what she said.

That's just it though. Come to your own conclusion but for gods sake let the family grieve without basically saying "your kids are dead because you wanted a bigger house".I know I'm maybe sensationalising but I really think that's essentially what she said.
    Agreed.

Boom! Head explodes!

i ment if the speculation turns out to be true or if the 'speculation' was from a good source not just opinion, i didnt see the interview

worded poorly, apologies :)

Shameless attempt by the Daily Mail to make this look like an attack on the welfare classes, i.e. their key target.

FYP Cheeky I know but I think that's what you meant:o Apologies if I'm wrong:o

To be fair to Malone (and believe me, I don't type those words easily), reading between the lines of the couple of news reports I've seen about this story, I came to the same conclusion.

Its clutching at straws, a few days after this happened the Mail had an article that basically blamed an ex girlfriend of the father based only on the idea they had been involved in an argument a few days before the fire. Her name was printed too. Terrible when you consider so far no one has been charged.

Its like that story of the young nurse who was accused of tampering with saline which ended in some patients dying...her entire life story was printed in the Mail and it turned out she was totally innocent.

So another life in ruins but who cares as long as the Mail sell a few papers :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Who said that?

You said the "welfare classes" were the Mail's key demographic which I assumed to mean readership demographic but I see it's been debated already.

I, who once aspired to be a journalist (It was a pipe dream but, a profession I admired:o ; Anyhow, my style is too flowery and my punctuation chaotic :mad:) Well, I now think that journalists have forgotten that they are to report the news....not make the news!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Thanks I had deleted my post because I thought it was too insensitive. I thought without reading this was that other case of the family of 17

It is that case, your reading skills are poor. Are the deaths of the 6 children somehow more worthy of your attention and sensitivity if they don't have lots of half and step siblings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What an odious woman. And blurting out something like that, based on a hunch, has nothing to do with a journalist reporting the truth. Firstly, nobody knows for certain that was the motive, secondly - if/when the truth is reported, the correct protocol would be: a reporter reporting it in an unbiased manner. This woman is not a reporter, she is an opinion columnist, whose role is to comment on stories after they are reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

Charlie Brooker once said Carole Malone was 'so repugnant in print you want to climb inside the page and vomit ink down her eye sockets'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

iguana wrote: »
    It is that case, your reading skills are poor. Are the deaths of the 6 children somehow more worthy of your attention and sensitivity if they don't have lots of half and step siblings?

Is it? oh right, my post hasn't anything to do with the children so I haven't a clue what your half sibling thing is about. My post was deleted by the way by me because it wasn't in relation to the article. I take issue with this demand for bigger council houses, I wasn't impressed with the way an article a few weeks ago made out that the council were to blame for not providing a bigger gaff for this family....also I feel the limerick woman created a sort of crying for wolf situation here for other families that might actually need appropriate accommodation. But clearly I'm in the wrong thread here due to my inferior reading skills, thanks for pointing that out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

This story makes my skin crawl.. My faith in humanity is dwindling more and more every day..

I just pray that those poor innocent children died quickly.. May they rest in peace.

xzanti wrote: »
    This story makes my skin crawl.. My faith in humanity is dwindling more and more every day..

Don't let it. There are more good in this world than bad, it's just that the good keep their heads down :)

• Advertisement

Don't let it. There are more good in this world than bad, it's just that the good keep their heads down :)

and the tabloids like reporting the bad stuff.

and the tabloids like reporting the bad stuff.

'xactly :)

steddyeddy wrote: »
    To be honest Id say this man is way more annoying to loyalists than anyone else. Imagine the damage this man is doing to loyalists reputation.

Wrong thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Wrong thread?

Thats the fifth time Ive done that!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Seems harsh

• Advertisement
Advertisement