Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounts in North

Options
  • 18-05-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have experience of opening an account in the 6 counties while living in the South. I know it can be done but can it be done over the phone? And are there sneaky charges?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

If you drop into Ulster Bank they will help you open a sterling account (Deposit)only.
    But the draw back is foreign exchange conversion .Also if you are not
    a resident fill out the declaration (as so) interest will be paid with no deductions and you can then pay your D.I.R.T.in Ireland,
    Otherwise the U.K will take it via the bank at source.Then when you visit the north drop into "your branch" and you can avail of other services. Handy if you visit the U.K. often.
    Can not be done over the phone. You will need photo I.D. & Proof of adress here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Bank of Ireland have branches in Northern Ireland and you can open an account with them, they also use the Post Office so whenever you're in GB you can also lodge and withdraw from any UK Postoffice.

AIB also have First Trust in the North.

Northern Bank - only really if you are a National Irish Bank customer, they're a bit cagey - more than the others but on the + transfers between NIB and NB (soon to be all Danske) are instant and free.

Advertisement