Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Consumer Law

Options
  • 18-05-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought an RC Car engine in London earlier in the year. After running it in, as per the instructions, it broke after the second time I used it on the track.

I have returned it to the shop who sent it to the distributer to be checked by their service centre.

The service centre have had it for just over 3 weeks and are now saying they are too backed up and haven't looked at it.

Does anyone know if Consumer Law in England the same - am I entitled to Repair/replace/refund and what is the 'fair' turn around time?

I would prefer a repair if possible.

Relationships with the shop are good, but I'm getting annoyed with the delay.

So, does anyone know what my rights are here and how long I should have to wait?

All help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Irish and English Acts are almost identical - normally because the Irish act is lifted straight from the English one! There can be differences but, in this case, the English Law is almost identical - if anything the English consumer protections are a bit better.

What you can do though is another story as if you complain to the English SmCC you may end up having to go over.

I don;t know how the law applies if you bought it using an Irish address - there is some EU regulation which I haven't come across yet.

Hopefully you did the sensible thing and bought with a credit card - if so let your bank sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/returning-damaged-or-faulty-goods/
    Much the same rules apply. You don't get much of a choice on the Repair/Replace/Refund front.

As in all good legislation there is mention of a reasonable time but no specifics.

3 weeks doesn't seem inordinate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Altoid

Thanks for the replies.

I agree three weeks isn't too bad - I'm just concerned how long in total it will take if they haven't even looked at in after three weeks.

Anyway, I'll keep on the friendly path for the moment.

Thanks again.

Advertisement