Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you have on your pets tag?

• 18-05-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you have on the tag attached to your pets collar?
    On mine I have the dogs name & my number. Thats it.

I have often wondered if someone has a purebred dog & has them spayed do they put it on the tag to deter thieves stealing their dog.

You hear so many horror stories about dogs being stolen for back yard bredding or blooding that I'm curious if theres something you can put on it that will make a thief think twice about taking them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Some people put chipped neutered and on daily medication on the tag, the medication part really puts people off!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

my dog doesnt even wear a collar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

For the dogs tag I have 2 mobile numbers, microchipped, neutered, in case of accident vet fees covered, reward if found and if I'm alone I'm lost (in other words he's not a dog that wanders so if he's not attached to somebody by a lead he's not supposed to be there).

For the cats tag I have 2 mobile numbers, vet fees covered and I am an indoor cat please ring if found outside.

There's probably not much you can write to put off stealing for blooding, but microchipped and neutered should put off for stealing for breeding. Wouldn't just put it on pedigree dogs either, with the increase in designer breeds any mongrel could be passed off as a doodleypoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Nothing now, I was brushing his coat for him and had taken of his collar, he grabbed it off me , ran off and chewed it to bits...the little fcuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Side 1:
    Moblie number
    Another mobile number
    Vet: number

Side 2:
    Microchipped
    Neutered
    If I'm alone, I'm lost
    (daily medication required - on the ones that do!)

I also have a second tag on one of them detailing medical issues (deaf etc.)

I don't have a name (mine or the dogs) or address on the tags because i'm really not comfortable with someone knowing these details if the dog is stolen or even found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Just wondering what you have on the tag attached to your pets collar?
    On mine I have the dogs name & my number. Thats it.

I have often wondered if someone has a purebred dog & has them spayed do they put it on the tag to deter thieves stealing their dog.

You hear so many horror stories about dogs being stolen for back yard bredding or blooding that I'm curious if theres something you can put on it that will make a thief think twice about taking them.

personally i wouldnt put your dogs name on her/his collar... its too easy to take him/her and keep him/her etc.

On my guy's tag one side has both our mobile numbers, on the oppisite side it has "micro chipped" & "Neutered"... hoping these will deter anyone for stealing him.... he is nuetered and chipped so im hoping if someone wants him for breeding etc the tag will deter them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

It's fairly obvious that both of my dogs are neutered as they are males so I don't feel it neccessary to include this information.
    But I think if I had bitches I certainly would. One dog has landline/mobile and my name in one of those brass tubes hanging from his collar, but the other one is a contortionist and kept eating or pulling of any type of tag on his collar. So now I have a woven collar that is embroidered with my name and mobile number which is all that fits on it. I found a company online that does this for a reasonable price.
    They are both microchipped as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I wouldn't know if having any info on a tag would deter someone stealing them - as I would imagine it, if someone's going to steal the dog they prob wouldn't be hanging around long enough to sit there & read the tag. For those who steal dogs for fighting (:mad::mad:) then they don't care if the animal's chipped/neutered anyway.

Anyway, I could be all wrong, and it surely can't hurt to put that info on the tag, I just wouldn't imagine it would help much.

But, as we're talking about tags, where do you all get yours? I've gotten a simple tag made from Jollies in the North before, but I would like a bit more detail on them now & haven't seen reasonably priced ones online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Ayla wrote: »
    But, as we're talking about tags, where do you all get yours? I've gotten a simple tag made from Jollies in the North before, but I would like a bit more detail on them now & haven't seen reasonably priced ones online.

Google identitaguk, sorry I'm typing on the phone so can't link. Mine were less than a fiver each including delivery, they come in all shapes, sizes and colours and you can get as much writing as will fit for the same price. I got the plastic ones over a year ago and so far they've both held up brilliantly, still as good as new, very very lightweight so handy for cats. The writing is pressed into them so no chance of it fading over time like with the numerous other brass ones iv gone through. I sound like I work for them but just a happy customer! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

www.boomerangtags.com - I have gotten loads of tags from here, they last really well, good quality (if I have to get new ones it's the dogs fault, not the tags!) and you can get loads written on them. Delivery tends to be quite fast too!

www.identitags.co.uk - also good site to get tags (have gotten a few here), good prices and nice quality (but not as good quality as boomerang).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Dogs that have a tag/disc are returned to their owners more often than microchipped only dogs from our pound.
    People most often blame their partner for not registering the dogs chip when I ask them why it wasn't done.
    A good disc is invaluable. I can take a dog straight back to the owner if found wandering. Low tech item but a great one i.m.o.

A mobile number is brill to find on a dog disc notwithstanding the owners name and address obligation to be on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I have "REWARD FOR RETURN" on one side. I know it leaves me open to dog being stolen just so they can be returned, but I'm happy enough with that.

I would hope that if either of my boys were stolen for cruel reasons the people involved might see them as being worth more if they brought them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Plymouth Rock

I only put my mobile on one side and the dog's name on the other.

Living in a city when I was younger, taught me to keep my dog under control and within sight at all times. Now I live in the middle of nowhere, I'm still surprised to see strays wandering the boreens with no ID. BAD OWNERS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

House phone number and my mobile phone number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I LOVE identitags! They're the best! :)

I go overboard but on one side of the tag is my name, address, mobile no. and landline.

On the other side of the tag it says "NEUTERED & MICROCHIPPED" and "In case of emergency please ring my vet on..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Surname on one side. Mobile no. on the other.

Dog is chipped and fully registered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My OH has a lurcher so she has spayed and microchipped noted on hers, in case anyone bad was to steal her! After that it's just the name of dog and phone number. He originally had a coloured disc but the colour scratched off making it unreadable, so the new one is just standard.

My cat has been through countless collars so he's bare at the moment. The more recent one only managed to last half an hour :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Golden retriever has surname and phone number

Keeps losing them though, I don't know how it happens :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Their name and my phone number...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭DeeRottie

I have 'Microchipped and Neutered' on one side and two contact numbers on the other. I would never put the dogs' name on them, as it makes things too easy for dognappers - handy to know a dog's name to get them to come over to you, also too handy to have the dog respond to the name if you're trying to pass it off as your own dog and then sell it on to someone... Also a chipped dog is a dog that's less likely to be taken, given that the dog is much more traceable.

I love the idea of the tag saying 'if I'm alone, I'm lost'. A lot of the time if people see a lone dog with a tag, they assume their owner is one of the irresponsible crowd who leave their dogs out to roam the streets. If any of mine were on their own it would absolutely mean they were either lost or stolen!

I know 'neutered and microchipped' won't put off people who would steal the dogs for fighting or bait, but it would put off those who were interested in breeding - people approach me all the time to ask me if I'm breeding from mine and are disappointed to find out they're neutered!

• Advertisement
Advertisement