Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Digital Radio - can only get RTE on DAB

• 18-05-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43

Hi - Should it be possible to get BBC stations too? Apart from RTE Gold the digital is pointless. I've scanned several times but I might be missing something out - ehm like a UK TV license perhaps? I'm in the North East.

Sony XDR-S16DBP DAB Radio - Silver to be precise

Thanks all,

Rtunes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭decies

No bbc on dab , it's a dead duck in this country , Internet radio way to go , tune in radio app on a smartphone as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 rtunes

Thanks for the reply - on the animal theme looks like that radio is a bit of a white elephant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

rtunes wrote: »
    Hi - Should it be possible to get BBC stations too? Apart from RTE Gold the digital is pointless. I've scanned several times but I might be missing something out - ehm like a UK TV license perhaps? I'm in the North East.

Sony XDR-S16DBP DAB Radio - Silver to be precise

Thanks all,

Rtunes

If you're in the NE there's a possibility of receiving BBC (and a lot more) from NI although an external roof aerial may be required. Does that Sony have an external aerial socket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,104 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You can get all the BBC radio channels via a satellite receiver, as well as the TV channels of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

rtunes wrote: »
    Hi - Should it be possible to get BBC stations too?

No. Unless you live close enough to Northern Ireland.

DAB is a terrestrial broadcast just like FM or AM. The 'Digital' bit refers to the broadcast format - it's broadcast in a digital format rather than an analogue format. The broadcast distance range is similar. Think of it like CD vs LP - the origin source is a different format but that's about it.

DAB is not a 'radio network'. Internet radio is what fits that bill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement