Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC Build/Upgrade

Options
  • 18-05-2012 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€500 ish]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming (LOTRO GuildWars/ GuildWars 2 when it arrives)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Case/ PSU/DVD Drives/Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse/Speakers/Printer.]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] no

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [ Credit Card ]

9. When are you purchasing? [hmmm]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [no]

I'll probably opt for a core i5 (2500k if budget allows) , but my real niggle is which chipset; I'm thinking Z77 or Z75 but not at all sure which motherboard to buy. I don't necessarily need anything too fancy just a solid board with reasonable overclocking ability and not too expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

What's the make, model and wattage of your current PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

What case is it? Dell? And, is the DVD sata or IDE?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

The PSU is 650W can't remember the make.

The Case is a full tower ATX case, this will be it's third build :) (had an Athlon 64, now houses a C2D E4400 running away quite happily at 3Ghz for the last few years )

The DVDs are both Sata.

Mlo wrote: »
    The PSU is 650W can't remember the make.

Well, what name is on the PSU? 650W means nothing if it's a crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iDementia

Z77 is pointless with a Sandy Bridge processor. I'd go with Z68.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Slightly over budget and presuming your PSU is an okay make.
    Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€189.79
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€83.63
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 3 6GB/s|€80.23
    Powercolor HD6870 1024MB Dual-DVI/HD1M2I5|€142.46
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€515.10

Also if you already have a HDD you can use for games and storage go with this instead of the HDD above.

The psu is a cooler master. Can't entirely see why the make would be that important provided it has the power and stability, but there you go.

I do have 2 250 gb hds but I want to ditch them as storage is getting a little tight. I was thinking of going for a1tb drive and an ssd, (this is where the ish comes into the budget)

Actually on the CPU choice which would be better ivybridge or sandybridge? I'm gravitating towards the 2500k based on old information but would go ivy bridge in the same price range if its better.

The psu is a cooler master. Can't entirely see why the make would be that important provided it has the power and stability, but there you go.
    Because, a cheap PSU can damage your PC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVEtr14FEA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Coolermaster have a lot of good and bad ones. Very mixed range. Have you got the model name?

Good grief, I didn't post here to be lectured on the relative merits of power supplies. I posted here to get some advice on motherboards and chipsets (thank you Tij da feen)

I have a fair inkling of how to put a PC together and the quality of my PSU, I just wanted to avoid having to spend a lot of time reading up on Pather point and ivy bridge.:mad:

• Advertisement

I have a fair inkling of how to put a PC together and the quality of my PSU

"The PSU is 650W can't remember the make."
    Yeah, it sounded like you really knew the quality of it.

I don't want to lecture anyone, only warn them that their 15 euro piece of crap PSU can kill their PC. Anyway, good luck :mad:

Ok, first off the psu wasn't €15, it was pretty expensive at the time.

Clearly I should remember the make model and specification of every component I used in a pc build 5 years, how could I be so dim.

And lastly I posted on this forum for advice not abuse.

You have unfortunately proven that you're only capable of one of those two things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Clearly I should remember the make model and specification of every component I used in a pc build 5 years, how could I be so dim.

You have unfortunately proven that you're only capable of one of those two things.

Obviously advice ;) Because that's all it looks like he's doing to me.
    If you don't want to our help, fine, but no need to pretend you know stuff to try and back up your insults.

I never gave abuse. I only ask you questions to give you better advice. Honestly:rolleyes:

I don't know why I'm even bothering to argue. I've had two posts that were advice on chipsets and components and the rest were just aggro.

Enough I'll go and do my own research, sorry for bothering you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Look, we asked about the PSU because it's pretty important:
    1) You're upgrading so you have to be sure that any upgrades won't overwhelm what your current components.
    2) There's a lot of bad PSUs around. We thought we'd help you out to make sure that you're not using substandard components. We actually give a damn about what we're recommending here and the quality of the advice is pretty good. If we didn't care or just pulled whatever information out of arses, we'd tell you to pick up two GTX 690s, a i7-3960X, AMD cards are no good and you can not manage with any less + you're a n00b if you get anything else.
    We thought we'd protect your components so that you wouldn't be upset if you lost your hard drives and motherboard with a bad PSU!

We're not wasting your time asking the colour of your underwear. You're free of course, to ask why it's important to know that information, but there's no need for the sarcasm or grumpiness.

Edit:
    I don't know why I'm even bothering to argue. I've had two posts that were advice on chipsets and components and the rest were just aggro.

Enough I'll go and do my own research, sorry for bothering you.

So you just want an idea of Z68 vs Z75 vs Z77?

Well, we'll still be here if you need advice another time, but be prepared to divulge your entire system if you are looking at new interdependent components.

Advertisement