Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your life span before modern medicine?

• 18-05-2012 2:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

How long would you have lived before anesthetsia, antibiotics, blood transfusions and the like. back in the good old days when blood letting, leech applications and casting out of devils were cutting edge technology.
    I would have snuffed it ages ago and all in periods of 8 years.
    Aged 8 - Tonsilitis requiring surgery.
    16 - Burst appendix requiring surgery
    24 - Massive inner ear infection requiring a mastoidectomy (Two operations) to stop it eating into my brain.

How about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i'm fit as a fiddle since i was born but a viking probably would have killed me by now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Meningitis aged 3. Though if I had managed to naturally fight that off, I'd have done pretty well, as I've had no need to take any antibiotics or other harsh medicines since. The only time I've taken antibiotics since is for a strep throat when I was 28, but that would have gone away without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Have never had anything serious illness wise thank god but I do have chronic eyesight, -7.5 in both eyes. I reckon I may have come a cropper of something because in back in ye olde good days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Wouldn't have made it to birth as I have a diabetic mother.
    If i had made it to that point though probably wouldnt have had some un needed surgery.

Adenoids removed as a child, but all doctors who see me now agree should never have been done.

I also had my apendix removed when i was 20 because they couldnt find anything else wrong with me and I was in pain
    On the plus side beause my appendix wasn't swollen or bursting they could remove it with lovely neat key-hole surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i'd have gone blind by 4 had to have surgery and dead by 18 from a punctured lung

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Have never had anything serious illness wise thank god but I do have chronic eyesight, -7.5 in both eyes. I reckon I may have come a cropper of something because in back in ye olde good days

Oh yeah. Me to. Blind as a blind thing. Would probably haver walked over a cliff by now.

do you need to wear professor farnsworth style glasses?

tumblr_m445pbDApc1r90i6do2_1280.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Never been ill touch wood, well I got measels as a child so that might have killed me.

Otherwise the only thing I can think of is childbirth, I had serious health issues with my first pregnancy at 19 that was only found out through modern checks, without it I might have died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Viral conjunctivitus and a few really bad fevers.

The fevers probably would have killed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I had tonsillitis and a mad high fever when I was about 12, that might have done for me. Other than that no serious injuries or illnesses, but I'm a bit short sighted so I may have been eaten by something I didn't see until it was too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'd have been dead soon after birth as I was born very prematurely.

I'd say the lung infection I got as a result of the swine flu possibly would have killed me as it was bad enough to need x-rays/ monitoring for pneumonia. Think that's it though, plenty of chest infections over the years mind you.

Never had anything major thank god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

do you need to wear professor farnsworth style glasses?

tumblr_m445pbDApc1r90i6do2_1280.png

Not these days. As a kid I wore something nearly as thick. They were a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i'd be grand. the whooping cough is the worst thing i've ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I have never had any major health complaints. So I would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

14 - heart failure due to valve problems.

Confab wrote: »
    14 - heart failure due to valve problems.

Janey mackers, now that's scary :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

12, type I diabetic. I guess I'd have hung on for a little while eating rabbit food ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Janey mackers, now that's scary :(

Heart failure isn't as bad as it sounds, it only means that the heart has reduced capacity. I had the corrective op at 2, the doctors projected that I would've lived to 14 without it.

Would not have survived infancy, due to a rare skin condition, which would not have killed me itself, but probably would have contracted a serious infection and septicemia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ruptured appendix at 7 would have done for me. As likely would collapsed lung at 33.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This thread is why everything costs so much while running out of stuff!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nothing that required modern medicine. Have always refused antibiotics. The only immunisation I got was for polio. Had all the other childhood illness. Measles(both), mumps, whooping cough, chicken pox, glandular fever etc. A few days off school eating ice cream and reading comics was the extent of it. When I read apparently scary headlines about measles outbreaks and such I do tend to be "so what?:confused:", though I also understand why some kids might get permanent damage. Broke a couple of ribs and fingers, but they're kinda "meh", though ribs are painful bastards. Fingers you just tie to the next good finger for a few weeks until they set. My family tend to live healthily and fit to big ages(90's) so it's likely genetic.

Throughout history it was childhood mortality that really dragged the life expectancy down. If you made it to 20, baring plagues and violent death making it to 60 or 70(even 80) wasn't so unusual. Look at Jesus' speech about a man may live "3 score and 10(70) or if vigorous 4 score(80)". He was addressing this to an audience of farmers and poor working people. If it was as unusual as some may believe - "ah sure they rarely got out of their 20's you know" - then his audience and later readers would have picked up on it. Kinda like if someone today said "a man may live to 120, maybe 140" he would be thought of as crackers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

You would have all suffered from something no one has mentioned yet, dental health issues. Infection can spread from there, like anywhere else.

Arabs sometimes used shredded liquorice twig and a few other bunched herbs to clean the mouth, no idea what would have been fashionable during the Roman era or in the Middle Ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I wouldn't be able to find my way around (or troll, sorry, surf the Internet) without modern spectacles and the three eye operations that I've had.:D:D

Maybe that priest who came to our school when I was 12 or 13 and told us the "facts of life" wasn't so completely wrong after all...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭liamhana

wouldnt have made it passed birth considering my mother was in hospital for 3months prior to my birth trying to keep me 'inside her'....a fact she has never let me forget.

Other than that I'm pretty sure the arm break - bone out through skin - at 8 wouldnt have healed & gangrene woulda got me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My mother had pre-eclampsia brought on by stress when she was pregnant with me (her mum and father in law died suddenly when she was 8 months pregnant) so without medical intervention I probably wouldn't have been born alive. Other than that I had tonsilitis when I was 16, that might've done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Good chance I would still be alive, I think. The only major illness I had was a bizarre virus when I was 17. Knocked me out flat for a week, doctors suspected it was hepatitis but turned out not to be. It was clearing up by the damn I went for blood tests so the medicine just helped to speed it up.

I rarely get sick. First time I got sick from then was a few months ago I had tonsilitis, antibiotics cleared that up. Not sure if I would've survived without them though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭deisebibo

Confab wrote: »
    Heart failure isn't as bad as it sounds, it only means that the heart has reduced capacity. I had the corrective op at 2, the doctors projected that I would've lived to 14 without it.

Yep I was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy at 32 (was quite ill when diagnosed after being fobbed off with antibiotics for a chest infection for months). And I remember them telling me I was in heart failure, (nearly popped my clogs there and then) but once I take my meds every day I'm grand

• Advertisement

any middle aged hippies here that would have died from syphallis, gonnorhea, or herpes?

24 - Massive inner ear infection requiring a mastoidectomy (Two operations) to stop it eating into my brain.

had exact same surgery at 23. Rare enough for adults to get it

-9.5 in bot eyes here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Asthma probably would have done for me around 8 years old. If I'd survived that Glandular Fever would have got me for sure at 16, nearly got me even with modern medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

The placenta got stuck inside me after labour before - had to have surgery to remove it.
    That probably would have killed me actually.
    That's mad.
    Never really thought about modern medicine in that way before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm asthmatic so it's hard to know. Would I have been less likely to have asthma in the olden days?
    I have no idea.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Throughout history it was childhood mortality that really dragged the life expectancy down. If you made it to 20, baring plagues and violent death making it to 60 or 70(even 80) wasn't so unusual.

Indeed. The advent of clean water supply and sewage systems made huge contributions to life expectancy (less disease).

• Advertisement

Nothing serious over here, worst thing I had was a bad abcess removal on my neck that was more cosmetic than anything else.

Nothing serious over here, worst thing I had was a bad abcess removal on my neck that was more cosmetic than anything else.

you were beheaded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

I had childhood asthma, but if I was born ~100years earlier I probably wouldn't have had it in the first place, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis

Other than than, no major illnesses. Everyone else in my family on the other hand, would be dead! All have required serious medical intervention at some point in their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I've has chronic asthma since age 3, hosipitalised on several occasions including a stint in ICU. Doubt I'd have made age 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I'm really lucky I havent broken a bone or caught something bad in my life.
    The nearest I got was suspected meningitis at 12 but it wasn't thankfully:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Would be grand. Never sick. 36.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Great thread, OP. The worst thing to ever happen to me was pneumonia at 4, which I guess could have killed me 100 years before. Not as scary as an ear infection that eats into your brain, tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

I'd have probably died multiple times by now if it wasn't for inhalers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Not as scary as an ear infection that eats into your brain, tho...

Earwigs do that too. I know this one guy who went to bed with a fierce pain in his left ear and woke up with a pain in his right.

Turned out that an earwig had eaten its way through his brain from one ear to the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Earwigs do that too. I know this one guy who went to bed with a fierce pain in his left ear and woke up with a pain in his right.

Turned out that an earwig had eaten its way through his brain form one ear to the other.

I'm never sleeping again :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

3 and half fours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Wibbs wrote: »
    Look at Jesus' speech about a man may live "3 score and 10(70) or if vigorous 4 score(80)". He was addressing this to an audience of farmers and poor working people. If it was as unusual as some may believe - "ah sure they rarely got out of their 20's you know" - then his audience and later readers would have picked up on it. Kinda like if someone today said "a man may live to 120, maybe 140" he would be thought of as crackers.

Hardly a reliable source, in fairness. And how do you know later readers didn't pick up on it?

As for refusing antibiotics, good luck surviving septacaemia without them. I would have died of said illness a few years ago had I not been given them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Had mumps, chicken pox, scarlet fever, the real flu and loads of other illnesses as a kid. Doubt I'd have made it to adolescence. Acute appendicitis at 16 would have killed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

hardCopy wrote: »
    Asthma probably would have done for me around 8 years old. If I'd survived that Glandular Fever would have got me for sure at 16, nearly got me even with modern medicine.
    Yeah had glandular fever too. Highly unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Apart from childhood ailments I would have snuffed it at 16 from a burst cyst the size of a tennis ball which also took out an ovary. And if that didnt kill me a pulmonary embolism would see me gone for sure at 21. RIP me.:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement