Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetes and marathon

Options
  • 18-05-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Im walking a 30km marathon next Saturday. I am a type one diabetic with a hbA1c of 7.9% (sorry I still haven't gotten my head around the new system, think its about 57?) I take 29 units of levemir at 9pm daily. The marathon is on at night btw, I'm not sure how much I should reduce it by? I will call the diabetes team after the weekend but any suggestions would be great :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've done several marathons now as a diabetic.

When I was taking two doses of lantus a day I eventually settled on the system of halving my dose of long acting from the evening before and I would then skip the morning long acting, would be running at that time anyway so wouldn't be much I could do about that. I'd also reduce the morning basal dose with breakfast a bit too. You probably want to have your bg level a bit high before the start and then take on some extra fuel on the way round as well. You really do need to experiment a bit though to find out what works best for you.

Not sure on the active profile of your long acting, but you may be wanting to reduce the dose of the day before.

What event is it that you are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Great thanks! Cork Lunar Walk for Diabetes :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Good luck. :)

If you are actually going to be walking rather than running it then you shouldn't be reducing the basal levels by as much as I was suggesting above. You will still be wanting to take on extra food on the way round to keep the bg level up though, and if you are able to carry the meter on the way then that will be handy for checking how you are doing.

Advertisement