Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paying mortgage twice a month

Options
  • 18-05-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi Folks
    I know this one was discussed before in boards but anyway.
    I've got a variable interest rate mortgage with Ulster bank. €147000
    drawn down from a €155000 mortgage. (Was fixed for the first 3 years).
    Rate is now about 3.95%. (just changed over lately)
    Can I pay this twice a month and save a few bob? I did ask the bank before
    when i was on the fixed and for a reason I can't remember I either couldn't
    or it just wasn't worth the hassle.
    I know I can ask the bank again but I just would like to hear from someone neutral first.

Cheers Espoo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Espoo wrote: »
    Hi Folks
    I know I can ask the bank again but I just would like to hear from someone neutral first.

Cheers Espoo

You can pay it twice a month and will save a small amount of interest over the term of the mortgage. Interest is calculated daily on the mortgage balance outstanding so obviously if you reduce that balance mid-month then the calculation is done on a lessor amount for the rest of that month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hi Folks

Cheers Espoo

There would have been penalties for make extra payments if on fixed rate. There are no penalties for early/extra payments on a variable product. This is covered by the consumer credit act. Thats probably why you didnt do it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

Thanks lads
    Thats interesting. I must look in to it more. Suppose I wouldnt save a huge amount? Can one of you work it out? But better off in my pocket than their's

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

if you can save at a higher rate (after paying DIRT) than your mortgage rate than better to save. This is a rule of thumb and not exact but important.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

If you switch to paying, say, €500 fortnightly instead of €1,000 monthly, there are two savings: - (1) is the saving by paying the capital down early, which is fairly small, but (2) is the fact that you're paying and extra month each year (€13,000 in a full year instead of €12,000) - that can make a big dent in your mortgage over time.

• Advertisement

Rang mortgage operations and girl I was talking to said that I would save something. Then was chatting to girl in Bank and she said I wouldn't save anything :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

Then was chatting to girl in Bank and she said I wouldn't save anything

At a guess - she may have misinterpreted "save", and thought that if the monthly payment was just divided in two, your repayments would not reduce and therefore you would not "save" anything... obviously ignoring the interest element.

thanks Roro.
    Yeah but I did mention it to her about the interest. Because the way the interest is charged my monthly repayments would be reduced a bit. She disagreed :confused: Maybe I need to chat to someone else in there?
    Mortgage operations (head office) said something about asking for a suspended lodgement (from branch). (forgot to ask this).
    I was reasonably confident that I could save something. What do ya think?

Cheers

• Subscribers Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I wanted to do this as it suited my incoming payments , but AIB wouldn't allow it.

Banks Must be losing out too much if they do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

Banks Must be losing out too much if they do this?

Not really. At the moment, the banks are trying to get money in as fast as they can so it suits them if people pay off loans early. But some just don't have the IT systems to handle it.

I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

point was raised in the Pricewatch article in the Irish Times a while back

See http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/pricewatch/2011/04/05/i-made-a-mistake/

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭THENORTHSIDER

copacetic wrote: »
    I wanted to do this as it suited my incoming payments , but AIB wouldn't allow it.

have a mortgage with AIB and changed to fortnightly with no hassle what so ever. Sent a letter requesting change of frequency of payment and that was it

• Subscribers Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

have a mortgage with AIB and changed to fortnightly with no hassle what so ever. Sent a letter requesting change of frequency of payment and that was it

Cheers for that, will follow up and push it harder this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Did the same thing myself and knocked about 2 years off my mortgage term.

sounds like i need to push this harder too. Maybe like you northsider I will send a letter. Are there any snags to this? i.e paying fortnightly? Did you send letter to bank branch or mortgage center?

Cheers

Just got this email from lady at the bank
    I was out of the office last week, unfortunately your direct debit can only be paid monthly. I would suggest if you have extra money to put in a savings account to build up & then you can pay a lump sum off the mortgage.
    Regards
    I guess its just their policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Rang mortgage operations and girl I was talking to said that I would save something. Then was chatting to girl in Bank and she said I wouldn't save anything :confused:
    She was wrong. It's compound interest so you will save money.
    I guess its just their policy.
    Some banks allow more frequent or flexible payments. Others have outdated IT systems that are very inflexible. They unfortunately can't facilitate anything outside the norm and can only allow occasional large draft lodgements to the mortgage account (they either re-calculate the monthly repayment or term).

Thanks Leeroy
    Yeah they mustn't have the It system for it. Maybe they will at some stage in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement