Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monto!

Options
  • 18-05-2012 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm really interested in the song 'Monto' and I have some basic information from it, which I garnered from the internet and some books on folk music.

I'm understand the historical context of most of the typically sung verses (e.g. the childrens' parade for Queen Victoria, the Duke of Gloucester losing his virginity in Monto, etc.), but am curious about the verse about the Czar of Russia and the King of Prussia landing in the Phoenix Park in a hot air balloon.

Did anything similar to this happen, or is it just artistic embellishment?

Also, I've heard some additional verses down through the years in bars and concerts. If anyone has any lyrics or links to these additional verses, that would be great to collect. The 'extra verse' most people would know is the one about the murder of James Carey (Invincible) in Cape Town after the Phoenix Park Murders:
    When Carey told on Skin-the-goat,
    O'Donnell caught him on the boat
    He wished he'd never been afloat, the filthy skite.
    It wasn't very sensible
    To tell on the Invincibles
    They stood up for their principles, day and night.
    But there are others too.

Just in case anyone isn't familiar with the song, this is the one I'm talking about

I think it's a real shame that the area of Monto is not marked by anything today. I walked around there this morning listening to this song; it's an area of Dublin that draws so heavily and reflects so eloquently on Dublin's history. It really should be celebrated.

Anyway, any info would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Take her up the Monto the Monto, Take her up the Monto - Whoops sorry getting carried away now. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Isn't Monto up around Foley st etc?
    Awful area now. Really dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

It's not dangerous exactly. It's got a lot of social problems, just as it had back when the song was written, and at the turn of the 20th century. But it's a very historic location which has always reflected a lot about who we are as a people; I wouldn't look down my nose at it, or dismiss it as 'dangerous'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes - it was formally called Montgomery Street (hence the name "Monto").
    optimistic wrote:
    If you think Foley Street is 'awful' and 'really dangerous' you mustn't have travelled much!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

later12 wrote: »

I think it's a real shame that the area of Monto is not marked by anything today. I walked around there this morning listening to this song; it's an area of Dublin that draws so heavily and reflects so eloquently on Dublin's history. It really should be celebrated.

Why would you celebrate what was a red light district and one of the worst slums in Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Why would you celebrate what was a red light district and one of the worst slums in Europe?

For better or for worse it's part of our history and the song Monto must be one of the most famous Irish songs there is, maybe? It's an iconic Dublin song. I agree with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Hardly living up to your name there are ya?

As Econoline said, it's got a place in Irish history.

It's not that i think we should be commemorating (or in fact, closing down...) red light districts. It's that the whole quarter around Marlborough Street may not be rich in economic terms, but it has a massive wealth of Dublin heritage.

That region, as a microcosm of the city perhaps, reflected both Dubliners' struggles and their strengths at a critical point in their history. Monto is one of the few rebel songs - and it is a rebel song - that doesn't dress up Irishness as a harmless, perpetually innocent victimhood. There is in-fighting, there are social problems, and above all there is resilience and fun.

Rather than erecting silly spires and incomprehensible, romantic bronze sculptures, I believe that's the sort of Dublin we should be recognizing and reflecting upon. We don't even mark it today. To the visitor who wishes to learn about Dublin and Dubliners, Monto (the place) doesn't even exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

It's not that I think we should hide it but definitely not celebrate it. We could reflect on the fact that economically the lot of some people in the area has not moved on really

I don't understand it as a rebel song :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Anybody with an interest in the history of that area could do worse than to read a copy of Dublin pubs..life and lore..details personal experiences of people who lived there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's not that I think we should hide it but definitely not celebrate it

We can't just candy stripe our history, we should be proud of our mixed heritage in Dublin, the sons and daughters of whores, Normans, Vikings, soldiers, thieves and slummers.

Nice one Degsy, I will buy that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Everyone knows about the men from the port and Amiens St train station

Just up the road was a barracks, Alderborough House on Portland Row, housed over two hundred troops and support staff, its heyday was around the Crimean War

A story that made worldwide news a Fenian attack on the barracks in 1893. Well by worldwide I found it in New Zealand and Australian newspapers
    http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=NZT18940223.2.12&l=mi&e=
    10--1----0--
    There was an explosion on Tyrone Place[I don't know where this is], a man was stopped and searched by the barracks with six detonators.
    And was stopped for being drunk :rolleyes:.
    Must have had a few too many whiskeys to steady his nerves :D. Lucky he didn't blow himself up!
    Told the RIC he owned the detonators for experiments. Didn't work, he was held and charged.
    No wonder the IRB failed with amateurs like this boyo

Later became a school, now it's just idle which is a shame. I believe Telecom Eireann used it for record keeping
    Some more pics and internal pics http://www.archiseek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7878, the staircase is beautiful, a neglected gem and so central in Dublin.

Aldborough-House-portland-r.jpg
    Anyway, my point is that many of the Monto's customers came from here

There was a hospital for VD, veneral disease. The Lock, that's what a lock hospital was
    In an age before antibiotics and other treatments there was not a lot that could be done.
    I've heard of mercury but that sounds ridiculously dangerous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westmoreland_Lock_Hospital
    Hospital was Townsend St
    Was demolished in the forties
    Lock-hospital-1890.jpg

It was widely known that for girls that were too far gone they were euthanized, smothered with a pillow by the nurses
    It's just something that went on and was accepted and probably was thought of being a kinder end.

The girls themselves were often foolish, naive girls from rural areas.
    Bit lost in Dublin and madam would offer them clothes and room but now they are in debt and some get trapped.
    They weren't looked down on so much by the locals, I think nowadays people may judge street walkers more harshly.

For more info on that sort of thing, an English artist put out a famous set of prints
    My wikipedia link won't work for some reason?? So just google A Harlots Progress

Channel 4 turned it into a TV show, http://www.channel4.com/programmes/a-harlots-progress/4od Free to watch on 4OD
    Shows how girls got recruited and then showed the downward spiral and the horrors of "the pox" and how many died alone and in pain

Dublin tenement life, great book OP
    http://www.amazon.com/Dublin-Tenement-Life-Oral-History/dp/0140296255

There was a wild story that there was a tunnel from the Custom House Quay up to the Monto so the officers and gentlemen would not been seen in an area of ill-repute.
    Just a story

Here is street map OP from 1798
    When Dublin was the second city of the Empire and while there will always be poor people at least the fine buildings were not converted into tenements yet

You were mentioning the street name changes

Sorry for the size, I don't know how to reduce an image on boards

dublin10a.jpg

This very easy to use site has maps for all sectors of Dublin :)
    http://dublin1798.com/dublin10.htm
    Dublin was so small! The canals were built but plenty of rural land between them

We discussed the Monto from a social point of view in History forum two years ago

Was a great thread, CDfm over there comes up with great ideas

Pretty much everything you need to know OP
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055971902

And a big emphasis on Legion of Mary and the good god fearing citizens who shut this down in the mid twenties.

If the nuns tell you to get out of town then you do it! :eek:
    357549661_9ce8ca444e_o.jpg

As for Russia and Prussia
    The Czar of Russia Nicholas II did visit his close relation King George in England but they never came to Ireland.
    It's just rhyming lyrics

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Brilliant stuff mikemac, thanks!

mickmac that's exactly what I was looking for. Loads of material to pore over - thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

later12 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm really interested in the song 'Monto' and I have some basic information from it, which I garnered from the internet and some books on folk music.

I'm understand the historical context of most of the typically sung verses (e.g. the childrens' parade for Queen Victoria, the Duke of Gloucester losing his virginity in Monto, etc.), but am curious about the verse about the Czar of Russia and the King of Prussia landing in the Phoenix Park in a hot air balloon.

Did anything similar to this happen, or is it just artistic embellishment?

Also, I've heard some additional verses down through the years in bars and concerts. If anyone has any lyrics or links to these additional verses, that would be great to collect. The 'extra verse' most people would know is the one about the murder of James Carey (Invincible) in Cape Town after the Phoenix Park Murders:

But there are others too.

Just in case anyone isn't familiar with the song, this is the one I'm talking about

the song was written in the fifties, so it is not as old as people think. it was reviewed in the Irish times sometime last year in the irish mans diary section.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the song was written in the fifties, so it is not as old as people think. it was reviewed in the Irish times sometime last year in the irish mans diary section.
    I never knew that! Written by the (then) famous Hoddie, no less.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monto_(Take_Her_Up_To_Monto)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Desmond_Hodnett

Advertisement