Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a walking tour business

Options
  • 18-05-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

I am just writing to inquire about the legality of starting an independent local historical walking tour group.

Generally, I have the basics worked out. The charge would be 5 euro per head and the tour would be an hour and thirty minutes in length. I passed the idea by a entrepreneurial friend, she informed me that I could land my self in a lot of trouble doing so, not only with local authorities but also with insurance related issues from possibly injuries.

Would anyone have a more in-depth knowledge of the founding of a walking tour group, as the net turns up next to nothing.

Much thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Talk to a man who knows

http://www.jackswalkingtours.com/

I'm sure he could give you some handy hints and knowledge regarding insurance and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

Seems that the business of walking tours is a pain not worth taking on in the modern claim culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ants09

Are you thinking of setting up a limited company or doing it as a sole trader ?

In relation to insurance for a walking tour it could be around 1k per year and as for claims it depends but dont think its a claims culture for that type of industry

The net profit aint great and dont think local authorties be a problem

But you need contacts and where you be based if you dont mind me asking

Also would you be doing it yourself or hiring contract staff etc

ants09 wrote: »
    Are you thinking of setting up a limited company or doing it as a sole trader ?

In relation to insurance for a walking tour it could be around 1k per year and as for claims it depends but dont think its a claims culture for that type of industry

The net profit aint great and dont think local authorties be a problem

But you need contacts and where you be based if you dont mind me asking

Also would you be doing it yourself or hiring contract staff etc

I am in Carlow town.

It's not like a massive business, as in I wont be relying on it for money. Just a simple relaxed hobby for a little extra cash. The general idea was that one day a week, more than likely a Sunday, I would meet some people that I had rounded up through Facebook, blogs etc etc and do an hour and a half tour. I couldn't imagine more than 5 people turning up at each go.

The thing is there would be a lot of climbing around in very, very old graveyards.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

My brother was in some other European city and he took one of these tours, the difference was the tour guide was doing it for free and stated at the start of the tour that there was no charge but if people enjoyed his tour, and wanted to give, he would accept any tips. The bro said he cleaned up, he also said it was a great tour, everyone gave him 20 euro. Not to mention the bar they went to for refreshments, he got his lunch free too. I thought it was a great idea.

Best of luck with your idea, chances are if your doing it out of interest rather than to make a few pound, your enthusiasm will win people over and it will be a success.

• Advertisement

wytch wrote: »
    My brother was in some other European city and he took one of these tours, the difference was the tour guide was doing it for free and stated at the start of the tour that there was no charge but if people enjoyed his tour, and wanted to give, he would accept any tips. The bro said he cleaned up, he also said it was a great tour, everyone gave him 20 euro. Not to mention the bar they went to for refreshments, he got his lunch free too. I thought it was a great idea.

Best of luck with your idea, chances are if your doing it out of interest rather than to make a few pound, your enthusiasm will win people over and it will be a success.

Certainly is a good point and also a good idea. I am very enthusiastic to do it and I am already quite well known in Carlow already as I give a few speeches each year at wreath layings/ceremonies.

I want to get into it soon, but I really need to find someone who knows more about the legal side!

There is no information out there anywhere:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Funnily enough, yesterday in my studio I overheard a couple of people talking about the same kind of free walking tour that was based on tips, so it seems it's being done in Dublin at least.

Apparently the tour guides are charged 2 euro per person by the organisers, and then the guides earn by the tips. So if someone tips a tenner, the guide gets 8.

No idea what it's called.

Cianos wrote: »
    Funnily enough, yesterday in my studio I overheard a couple of people talking about the same kind of free walking tour that was based on tips, so it seems it's being done in Dublin at least.

Apparently the tour guides are charged 2 euro per person by the organisers, and then the guides earn by the tips. So if someone tips a tenner, the guide gets 8.

No idea what it's called.

I imagine it would be reasonably big in larger cities, Dublin, Cork, Galway so on. That's why I think I would have a good advantage in a small town like Carlow, that still receives a lot of tourists.

Still can't find any solid facts to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

The company that you are talking about is this one http://www.neweuropetours.eu/

It might be worth while going on a tour or trying to talk to the manager in Dublin

edeldonlon wrote: »
    The company that you are talking about is this one http://www.neweuropetours.eu/

It might be worth while going on a tour or trying to talk to the manager in Dublin

I have tired to talk to a couple, seems to be a closely guarded secret.

The only burning question, and the only thing holding me back is the matter of legality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

As a professional, qualified and failte Ireland approved tour guide I can not support that "work for tipp" business. Beeing a tour guide is a profession not a hobby or a sideline for retired civil servants and teachers on holiday.

If you want a qualifed tour guide who knows what he is talking about and able to give you a entertaining and professional tour you pay the price. Full stop and no messing about. Also Tips are subject to taxating and I do have serious doubts any of the Sandemann neu europe guide actually declare what they earn. Also don't be under the impression that they all tip a tenner, most people will dissapear at the end of the tour to avoid paying, this is reality.

If you want to be a guide you have to get public liability insurance which won't come cheap. You are responisible on your own tax returns, your personal insurance etc and it all adds up. You are self employed and won't be able to count to fall back on social welfare if it business fails.

dubbie82 wrote: »
    As a professional, qualified and failte Ireland approved tour guide I can not support that "work for tipp" business. Beeing a tour guide is a profession not a hobby or a sideline for retired civil servants and teachers on holiday.

If you want a qualifed tour guide who knows what he is talking about and able to give you a entertaining and professional tour you pay the price. Full stop and no messing about. Also Tips are subject to taxating and I do have serious doubts any of the Sandemann neu europe guide actually declare what they earn. Also don't be under the impression that they all tip a tenner, most people will dissapear at the end of the tour to avoid paying, this is reality.

If you want to be a guide you have to get public liability insurance which won't come cheap. You are responisible on your own tax returns, your personal insurance etc and it all adds up. You are self employed and won't be able to count to fall back on social welfare if it business fails.

Wow, that was incredibly contemptuous and condescending. Not only are you insulting the hard work of a highly reputable and well respected tour group, but under a very thin veneer you are also insulting my knowledge, work ethic and integrity.
    most people will dissapear at the end of the tour to avoid paying

Seems like you are embittered by experience, not surprising that people would disappear with your attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

No I don't want to insult anyone. But you asked for advise and this is what I offered and I am sorry if it came out the wrong way.

I also do not question your knowledge at all but just tell you how it is out there at the moment. The Irish Guiding community is rather small and reputation is very important in this business, not only between you and your clients but also between guides. What I meant to say is that you have to be careful not to upset other people working in your business and region already by undercutting the going rates.

I think you can ask anyone who is in the Business and they will tell you the same about the tip only jobs, this is not just me. And no, I did never work for them but seen many great and gifted people who worked for them and ended up burned out and bitter by the experience where as would they have been properly trained, protected and supported would have made a great addition to the Guiding community.

"...but under a very thin veneer you are also insulting my knowledge, work ethic and integrity."

No I don't. I made some general comments and did never comment about yourself. I am sorry I can not give you more direct advise about how to start your business as I am in a different sector. Also you need a thick skin for that job so don't take everything personal....just like I won't take your last comment personal which was not under any thin veneer by the way!

By the way: Dublin City Council do guided walks to various topics which are probably more aimed at the general public rather than the tourists. Might be more suitable for a town like Carlow and maybe something you could look into with Carlow County Council etc?

Also Failte Ireland do local guiding courses once in a while usually with local colleges and education centres where you can get a official qualification and the added plus that you get cheaper insurance once you are registered with AATGI. Again the Failte Ireland Badge is not that important, I know people who do the job for 20 years without any qualification and they are fantastic. But they may have some pointers for you about how to set up a local business.

PS. I love my job and one minor reason amongst the other 400 reasons for that is that I am getting paid with a pre-agreed rate and I won't have to depend on a tip.

Advertisement