Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate Biology 2012

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I get a feeling about this year... Something tells me Biology isn't going to be as easy as usual...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Anyone got any notes for Ecology? From what I'm told a long question is bound to come up and I hardly know that chapter at all. Thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

go away. it's not that easy so stop showing off! its far from easier and there are much easier subjects to get an A1 in...you see one true and false question in the short questions and u think the paper is easy?

Biology is the easiest subject out of all the maths and sciences..

Not at all. Chemistry is by far the easiest of the sciences.

Disagree? Everyone finds different subjects more difficult than others. Biology is more a learn-off-by-heart and regurgitate. I can hand on heart say I've done about 6 times more work for biology than chemistry, and I'll be disappointed if I don't get more than 95 in chemistry.

Biology is not, however, a difficult subject. {My opinion}- compare it to English paper II and it's a doddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

You guys arguing about ease of subjects? Hilarity.

All of the subjects are as easy as throwing pebbles into a pond if you dedicate even a little time.

reznov wrote: »
    You guys arguing about ease of subjects? Hilarity.

All of the subjects are as easy as throwing pebbles into a pond if you dedicate even a little time.

Being a Rez-knight, I completely agree master rez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 sarahmocks

Biology is the easiest subject out of all the maths and sciences..

Everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses! i find english, irish etc not too bad but biology just completly confuses me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I get a feeling about this year... Something tells me Biology isn't going to be as easy as usual...

Mmm, seems like they're trying to make it more applied, especially with ecology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cutty9

ecology and plants are ridiculous considering barely anyone studies them indepthly at University and they mean sweet FA as regards to a degree.

Nobody wants to do botany.

Everyone wants to do something medically related e.g. med, physio, dental sci, pharmacy, optometry.

PLANTS & ECOLOGY are a waste of time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

They've changed the structure of the Section B aswell, little questions on more experiments rather than more questions on an experiment.

Can anybody tell me the answer to that duck question from last year? :p They don't even give an answer in the marking scheme :pac:

edit: according to e-xamit Male ducks can fly further

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

cutty9 wrote: »
    ecology and plants are ridiculous considering barely anyone studies them indepthly at University and they mean sweet FA as regards to a degree.

Nobody wants to do botany.

Everyone wants to do something medically related e.g. med, physio, dental sci, pharmacy, optometry.

PLANTS & ECOLOGY are a waste of time :(
    Funny you should mention Pharmacy... There's a fair bit of botany in the later years of a Pharmacy degree. A particular discipline known as pharmacognosy (Medicines from natural sources) is almost exclusively related to plants.

In fact... a huge amount of common drugs (NSAIDs such Aspirin and opiates like codeine) have their origins in plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cutty9

Funny you should mention Pharmacy... There's a fair bit of botany in the later years of a Pharmacy degree. A particular discipline known as pharmacognosy (Medicines from natural sources) is almost exclusively related to plants.

In fact... a huge amount of common drugs (NSAIDs such Aspirin and opiates like codeine) have their origins in plants.

yeah but what's the point of learning off about a rocky seashore :pac::pac:

Can anybody tell me the answer to that duck question from last year? :p They don't even give an answer in the marking scheme :pac:

Apparently any applicable answer would suffice. In class I said that female ducks would have to depart earlier in time to build nests and gather material and she said that'd be fine either!

I hope more abstract topics arise! They're easy marks as any answer, anyway relevant would get marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

They're more common sense and stupid than actually knowing information which is handy aswell:p

The ducks were flying away from project Maths.

The ducks were flying away from project Maths.

Of course! How silly of me.

Of course! How silly of me.

Or perhaps a field study group incorrectly tried to count the number of ducks in the ecosystem using a quadrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Or perhaps a field study group incorrectly tried to count the number of ducks in the ecosystem using a quadrant.

:pac:

quadrant.jpg

Another great shout from Reznov :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I would just have said male ducks are better adapted to that environment :confused: I actually hate questions like that

:pac:

quadrant.jpg

Another great shout from Reznov :P

The field study just was not informed of the differences. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Hey guys I dunno why but I find the short questions to be the least predictable and can really make or break your grade.Anyways I am pretty well prepared for the experiments and long Q's but could anyone give me some advice on the short questions(I know food always comes up)?? Thanks

Advertisement