Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grant Holt Puts In Transfer Request

• 18-05-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone heard owt about who's after him then?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Liverpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Bit Cûntish IMO they have him his chance .

Although he did repay them with a load of goals .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

please not liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Has to be Aston Villa. Limitless picture caption possibilities using "Holt end"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

England?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Very unexpected. Not sure what clubs will be willing to buy him, seeing as there is no resale value and he could just prove to be a one season wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Norwich denied his request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Maybe it's related to a new contract? Or bonuses etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Strictly speaking he hasnt asked for a transfer, he's contract was for three years with the option of a fourth, the inital three years are now up and he is not taking the option of extending it by a year, which is fair enough as Im sure someone else will give him a three year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hes done well this year and helped Norwich stay in the league and put in some excellent performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Can think of several solid reasons for Holt to do one:

- Lambert's future is uncertain, and he's reluctant to commit. If he leaves, Norwich will likely struggle to replicate what they achieved this year. Next year might be a classic case of second season syndrome.

- Holt has one more contract left in him and, bear in mind, he's not been playing at this level for long. In other words, he's probably less financially secure than the average EPL player of his age. He likely fancies at least two more years Premier League wages to set him up for life. It's easy to slag off 21-year-olds who want 100,000 a week but, from a former tire fitter facing their last chance to achieve financial security, it's understandable.

- He's not been an automatic choice at Norwich despite playing very well and scoring several goals. Moreover, he's been passed over for England. If Holt believes he can do it at international level, he needs to step up to what decision makers call 'the higher level' now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

In fairness to Lambert he's come out and said he wants to stay at Carrow Road, what more can he do?

Why Holt to Aston Villa, they are not in great shakes at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

IvySlayer wrote: »
    In fairness to Lambert he's come out and said he wants to stay at Carrow Road, what more can he do?

Are you saying you read the post that mentioned Aston Villa and you didn't get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Martin O'Neil at Sunderland would be my first guess. Pretty much exactly the type of player he tends to go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agree, screams Sunderland though Everton might be interested - him and Jelavic would be a handy low/medium budget attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd be very happy with signing of Holt. We need a striker who can hold the ball up, but also stick it in the back of the net too and Holt seems to fit the bill perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Also apparently Holt has family in the north and wants to see 'em more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Probably his last chance to make a move, good luck to him.

I'd have him at Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Shocked enough, thought he'd be happy there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

He must've been tapped up. Spurs, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Personally very sure that it is Sunderland also, as was previously stated, exactly the type MON likes

IvySlayer wrote: »

Sorry, I must've missed that - last I'd heard on the subject was Lambert being very sketchy about it after the last league game of the season.

Still think the financial reason is a valid one, and the family adds to it. He'd have a good two years in him at either Sunderland or Newcastle (who, lest we forget, could well lose a forward this summer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

utd need an extra body up front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

This player has all the hallmarks of a big fish in a small pond.

Think Andy Carroll times ten.

If Dalglish was around he'd probably table a 40 million bid.

No, of course it isn't. Norwich aren't build around Holt. He was dropped tactically for many of the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Another reason he may have put in the transfer request might be because he missed out on the England squad for the Euros. I'm sure he'd love to play for his country and there is a striker who is only a subsitute at Tottenham who is on the plane. He may feel that he needs to move on to a more established club to enhance his chances of being involved in the World Cup 2014 campaign.

plasmaguy wrote: »
    This player has all the hallmarks of a big fish in a small pond.

Think Andy Carroll times ten.
    Can you explain this. Like what attributes is he missing that makes you think this?
    If Dalglish was around he'd probably table a 40 million bid.

Why did you feel the need to post this? What has it got to do with this thread? What is your reason for posting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

redzerdrog wrote: »

True, if Berbatov leave which he almost certainly will. Also totally different to all our other strikers and can actually lead the line. I would be happy enough if he didn't cost much.

EDIT: He's 31, thought he was 27/28 for some reason. Wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

eagle eye wrote: »

Why did you feel the need to post this? What has it got to do with this thread? What is your reason for posting it?

Because I felt like it! :)

Maybe I should run all my posts past you first in future? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Because I felt like it! :)

Maybe I should run all my posts past you first in future? :rolleyes:

I actually think he made a good point, and asked a valid question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

geeky wrote: »
    - Holt has one more contract left in him and, bear in mind, he's not been playing at this level for long. In other words, he's probably less financially secure than the average EPL player of his age.

That would be the crux of it really imo. He wouldn't be on big money* at Norwich either, so like you say he would not be heading towards a cushy retorement like most PL players of his age. He's entitled to look out for his own financial future at this stage and if another club were willing to offer him a lot more money then he's entitled to want to leave.

*He signed when they were in League 1 so he could actually be on fairly crap money by PL standards (though I think clubs have to automatically give players a certain percentage rise when they get promoted to Prem Lge - is that correct?) even with that rise he'd still be on poor enough money compared to the PL average, which is now 22K/wk. I doubt he's on anything close to 22K, probably more like 10-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Most interesting thing about it all is that he's 31. Didn't think he was that old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

redzerdrog wrote: »

They've a big hole to fill now they dont have Owen's goals.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    That would be the crux of it really imo. He wouldn't be on big money* at Norwich either, so like you say he would not be heading towards a cushy retorement like most PL players of his age. He's entitled to look out for his own financial future at this stage and if another club were willing to offer him a lot more money then he's entitled to want to leave.

*He signed when they were in League 1 so he could actually be on fairly crap money by PL standards (though I think clubs have to automatically give players a certain percentage rise when they get promoted to Prem Lge - is that correct?) even with that rise he'd still be on poor enough money compared to the PL average, which is now 22K/wk. I doubt he's on anything close to 22K, probably more like 10-12

Apparently he's on 16k a week (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4326002/Grant-Holt-transfer-request-Striker-could-leave-Norwich-over-wage-row.html, usual sun Caveats apply)

Unless he's been careful with money to date, he'll need two years on 20k p/w (£1m per year, you can half that for tax) to build up a £1m nest egg. That might sound like a lot, but stretched out over the 40 or so years he'll still have to get by for, it's only £25,000 a year. True, you can buy a house outright and save quite a bit with that, but then there's inflation eating into his nest egg. He really needs a contract of that order to guarantee a reasonably comfortable, middle class existence.

He might find work in coaching or another field, but that's never guaranteed. And for every lad who'll never have to worry about money after football, there's a 35+-year-old out looking for work with no qualifications and no experience. Having played more at the lower end of the professional circuit, he's probably keenly aware of that.

Edit: Though I think most clubs would be happy to take a punt on 20k a week, I'd like to see him work stuff out with Norwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I wouldn't want him at NUFC. We would have to change our whole system just for him. Pointless. Also goes against our policy of buying youngish footballers with future resale potential.

I wouldn't want him at NUFC. We would have to change our whole system just for him. Pointless. Also goes against our policy of buying youngish footballers with future resale potential.

....No?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

G.K. wrote: »

....No?

Yes. In case you haven't noticed, since we sold our last target man, our system of playing football has changed... for the better.

Our in your mind do you see Cisse and Ba as classic England number nine types?

:rollys:

Holt isn't restricted to playing a target man system. He's an underrated footballer in footballing intelligence and off the ball movement terms.

And Norwich haven't been set up with a target man system for many games at all really, and yet Holt got 16 goals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

One of the best I've seen at using his body to roll defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Holt and Lambert (Ricky that is) at Southampton could be an interesting partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Finally got a chance to read the thread about Holt. Let's clear up a few things. His family is in Norwich and his daughter attends a school close by. So that rumour is a total joke. He has 2 years left in his contract and currently on £16k a week making him the second highest paid player in the club behind Jonny Howson. Holt loves the club, the area etc so it's other underlying problems that are causing him issues. He had a meeting today at 4pm with Dave McNally to try and get them resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Seems like he was just fishing for a better deal at Norwich then. He's signed a 3 year deal today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Delighted and they announced Jacob Butterfield has signed a 4 year contract and Whittaker has signed too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Paully D wrote: »
    Seems like he was just fishing for a better deal at Norwich then. He's signed a 3 year deal today.

Can't really blame him, he's not a young man, his career will be finished soon, probably just making sure he doesn't have to worry about money once he hangs up his boots. He deserves it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I'd have loved it if Grant had come back to Rochdale, we still miss him :(

Hopefully the contract he got is enough to secure his families future, I am certain he would be a good coach when he retires anyway, possibly even a manager, he has a great level of footballing intelligence that hoes unnoticed since he has only begun playing at the top level.

Advertisement