Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric engine query

Options
  • 18-05-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

so, just got an electric engine, purchased from a boards member:D, and wondering what type battery is best/sufficient for it? will be using it for fly fishing mostly, well, probably exclusively:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You need a deep cycle batteru
    Should be able to get one from most marine places
    Tell them what its for.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

cheers for the reply:), wont be using it constant, i have a 4stroke 15hp honda electric start, the battery runs a auto bailer aswell but wouldnt be getting much use, wonder would it do for this engine too? i will only be using it for the dapp i expect, and maybe a bit of fly fishing later in the season

Depends on the battery , I have the same honda as you and it charges the battery I use for my sonar , but i dont think its powerful enough to run a leccie motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Ideally a deep cell battery would be best suited, though if the motor is only used to correct a drift or reposition the boat, then the car battery would do, with the main motor keeping it charged,
    The deep cell battery is design for longer periods of constant power and can be fully discharged many times over, where as the car battery is more suited to a sudden surge of power and rarely if ever is it fully discharged,

That said the leisure battery is around three times the price of a car battery and also much heavier, I have a 15 hp four stroke, though use the electric for pottering round the edges and use a standard car battery which I just recharge. After every use, never fully discharges, i already had the battery so no real expense.....

the battery for the 4-stroke is a heavy duty 12v, surely if only using the electric to correct a drift or 2 it would be ok to use it for both?

dads a mechanic and reckons it should be :)... will find out 2moro i guess;)

• Advertisement

Try it out and see.
    I know from trying it before that the electric motor only ran at around half power on thr car battery.

ran like a clock all day:D, the 4 stroke while driving charges the battery so all went well!!! just no feckin fish!!!

How is the fly fishing going??
    I havnt been up at all since april.
    Will be up on friday hopefully.
    Tommy berry is getting good fish.

How is the fly fishing going??
    I havnt been up at all since april.
    Will be up on friday hopefully.
    Tommy berry is getting good fish.

its been the best dapp in yrs!!! i havent got out much and the times i did it was either a storm or no wind!!!:rolleyes:
    there were some great fish caught over the last few weeks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Its not that the engine wont work on the normal 12v but over time using an electric engine on a normal 12v will damage the battery. Starter batteries are designed differently to deep cycles.

Deep cycles are designed to be drained slowly and re-charged many times starters are not. Over time a normal starter if its drained regularly will develop a memory problem and will stop accepting charge. Have had it happen before.

But if its minimal use and the honda has an alternator then you should have no issues. If you are going to troll with the electric I would say get a deep cycle.

• Advertisement

tin79 wrote: »
    Its not that the engine wont work on the normal 12v but over time using an electric engine on a normal 12v will damage the battery. Starter batteries are designed differently to deep cycles.

Deep cycles are designed to be drained slowly and re-charged many times starters are not. Over time a normal starter if its drained regularly will develop a memory problem and will stop accepting charge. Have had it happen before.

But if its minimal use and the honda has an alternator then you should have no issues. If you are going to troll with the electric I would say get a deep cycle.
    i wont be trolling with the electric, the honda will do fine for that, and in rough weather i doubt an electric would suffice:)... its only to correct drifts during flyfishing, and to be honest will probably never be used outside the dapp...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Normal 12v will do you so. What brand did you get btw? I used to have a zebco rhino which was great but eventually, after many years of service it packed in, cant seem to get the rhinos any more.

Replaced it with a daiwa which is rubbish.

tin79 wrote: »
    Normal 12v will do you so. What brand did you get btw? I used to have a zebco rhino which was great but eventually, after many years of service it packed in, cant seem to get the rhinos any more.

Replaced it with a daiwa which is rubbish.

motorguide T34 i think:rolleyes: its not here at mo but think thats it:)

bayliner wrote: »
    i wont be trolling with the electric, the honda will do fine for that, and in rough weather i doubt an electric would suffice:)... its only to correct drifts during flyfishing, and to be honest will probably never be used outside the dapp...

The electric is great if you want to stay quiet going into small bays...we use it on ree for piking in winter.

Advertisement