Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail Shot & SharePoint development

Options
  • 18-05-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I have just been asked at work to create a new SharePoint site and mail shot to be sent out quarterly. I have not been given SharePoint designer to work with so have been using html and JavaScript in web content parts. Is there anything else I can do with SP to make up for the lack of SP designer?
    As regards the mail shot, I've never made any before. I was told it can be plain html which sounds like it should be easy enough. Has anyone made them before? How did you manage the content and timing to be sent? These will both be on the internal SharePoint so if SharePoint has something built in please let me know. :) FYI, I'm a summer IT intern so this stuff is new to me.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

First, get really familiar with the different list and library types, adding metadata fields, creating different views, custom lists etc. Then get really familiar with all the different web part types and what they do. You can build really great solutions just by using the built in lists, libraries and web parts, by tweaking them and combining them in interesting ways. In particular off the top of my head look at things like 'Lookup' columns, and using web part conections for filtering.

If you're using html/javascript with SharePoint, look into using JQuery (google "jquery sharepoint", there's lots of great guides), and SPServices. They'll both help you a lot.

Depending on the version of SharePoint you are using, you could look at using InfoPath to create browser based forms. They're better with SharePoint Designer Workflows, but you can still create some really powerful form functionality with just InfoPath.

Also, SharePoint Designer is just a free download, are you restricted from downloading and installing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Marina-anseo

Yes, the company only allows access to SharePoint designer in their American base so I have to do without it. I asked if I could use my own license but that's not allowed either. Thank you for the info, I'll start researching now :)

Advertisement