Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dilema surf board

Options
  • 18-05-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

can anyone shed some light on this.......
    circle one 8'2 board or NSP board of same size....... which is better. heard their is alot of fin box problems with circle one board... have not heard anything bad about nsp tho....i am buying and have narrowed it down to these two little beauties...:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Mate off mine surfs a circle one longboard. Its about nine foot or so. Crackin board. No problem with the boxes. He doesn't use the outer fins. He just has a big thruster in it. If it was me I'd go for the circle one every time.

Dont like the look of them NSP's at all. I've never surfed one but they look like they have no sole, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭elheffe

Mate off mine surfs a circle one longboard. Its about nine foot or so. Crackin board. No problem with the boxes. He doesn't use the outer fins. He just has a big thruster in it. If it was me I'd go for the circle one every time.

Dont like the look of them NSP's at all. I've never surfed one but they look like they have no sole, if that makes sense.

Leaning towards a circle one. bit more dollars but worth it, i reckon.i know what you mean.... cheers. i agree with you..

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

elheffe wrote: »

Leaning towards a circle one. bit more dollars but worth it, i reckon.i know what you mean.... cheers. i agree with you..

Neither have any sole whatsoever!!
    Mass produced, Made in china!!
    Stronger of the two nsp!!

glide wrote: »
    Mass produced, Made in china!!

That where all the bamboo is!!

Ye, as glide pointed out, in fairness, there both fairly ****e. But if you on a budget you don't have much choice. Decent second hand longboards are fairly rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Not sure about NSPs but I;ve snapped two Circle One longboards.....

The stringers aren't so wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

zoobizoo wrote: »

You also took them out in big surf and threw them into the lip what do you expect.

You also took them out in big surf and threw them into the lip what do you expect.

Boards break.... boards with narrow stringers are more inclined to break. And boards made with decent blanks, which Circle Ones don't have, in comparison to let's say, a custom board and less likely to snap. Hope that advice helps you OP.

I would expect someone who doesn't surf with me or wasn't there on either occasion not to make ridiculous, incorrect comments. But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Boards break.... boards with narrow stringers are more inclined to break. And boards made with decent blanks, which Circle Ones don't have, in comparison to let's say, a custom board and less likely to snap. Hope that advice helps you OP.

I would expect someone who doesn't surf with me or wasn't there on either occasion not to make ridiculous, incorrect comments. But that's just me.

Stringers don't help as much as people think

http://www.aorsurfboards.com/blog/?p=182

Pretty sure that boards still on the go 2 years plus later?

Currently saving the sheckles for a stringerless log just to see what it goes like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Lads get a room :D

rodento wrote: »

Lads get a room :D

I have a room but it,s full of broken boards with thin stringers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

No surfboard regardless of where or who made it hasgot any Sole!

Lemon-Sole_lg.jpg

as for Soul, well that's debatable too!!

Do you surf a fish?

Do you surf a fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Zoobizoo have you thought about getting a board with a spacehopper glass job, don't think you'd be snapping it any time soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭elheffe

thanks for all the replies.... a bit wiser not much tho...:) i reckon i will try renting some other brand and check them out..... cheers

A decent second hand board might be a better bet than a brand new crap one. If it's your first board I wouldn't worry to much about what you pick as long as it picks up waves for you. My first board was a 100 quid second hand bic. It was great for learning on. You can just surf away with worrying about smashing it on the rocks. I got a better board the following year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭derkav

Hey Guys, sorry to hijack a thread. Just looking for some advice. Recently took up surfing. I am going to buy a board. Not in any rush. So my question is, is it better to buy a custom board or a generic? I will be doing lessons for a while. I should be able to rent any hard boards when i get off the foamie that im using at the moment. I am 6'4" and 95kgs. Would anyone have any recommendation of hard boards to try?

Thanks for your input

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Lots of second hand boards on the various sites, also check out second hand boards in the shops. You can get a feel of them there and ask for advice also. September is approaching so those that got surfboards as presents will probably be shifting their boards because of lack of use.

I have to say of all the boards mostly I see in the summer, it has to be the bic...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

derkav wrote: »
    Hey Guys, sorry to hijack a thread. Just looking for some advice. Recently took up surfing. I am going to buy a board. Not in any rush. So my question is, is it better to buy a custom board or a generic? I will be doing lessons for a while. I should be able to rent any hard boards when i get off the foamie that im using at the moment. I am 6'4" and 95kgs. Would anyone have any recommendation of hard boards to try?

Thanks for your input

I would have thought if you've made good headway in your lessons and know your going for a longer board than you could skip ahead and get a custom but still it's a lot of money to pay out without really surfing many different conditions etc.. Also, second hand boards are becoming more available due to people leaving the country and growing internet selling sites. Ask the chap you get lessons off what he recommends considering your surfing ability and general experience.:cool:

Advertisement