Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words that you rarely hear any more...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Another rarely heard insult just came to me-sh1tehawk!

Used to love this one it really left the insultee in no doubt how you felt about them!

Truley wrote: »
    Phrases like 'Mother O' God' 'Jesus Mary and Joseph' 'Please God' 'God Almighty' etc will probably die out from my mother's generation downwards. Younger people don't talk like that.

My grandmother used to let go with "Oh Heavenly King!" when things were really bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Another rarely heard insult just came to me-sh1tehawk!

Used to love this one it really left the insultee in no doubt how you felt about them!

Still use it for that very reason

Fixed for you.

You didn't fix my misspelling of "laugh" :mad:

Blackguard...

Pronounced blaggard

I still use that one.... confuses the English guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Isn't that "mott" but with a Dublin accent? I heard that from my uncle years ago, then about three years ago outside the cinema in Dun Laoghaire! My English boyfriend gave this junkie a smoke, he nodded at me and said "Dat yer moth?"; repeated it a few times to the fella's blank look, till I said "girlfriend" and he said yeah! Got quite a luagh out of it.

Yes indeed it is 'mott' which is how a lot of Dubs would pronounce 'moth' anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

"Bloody Balooba."
    My father used to call me this when I was caught causing trouble....after the Balooba tribe in the Congo who were blamed for the Niemba ambush where Irish troops were slaughtered.

And "Sketch" when the teacher was coming.

"Are ya Wide to the cut of yer man?" meaning Do you see the way he is dressed.

"Sh1ts and giggles" meaning for a laugh.

"Knocka". A game played by adolescents where they knock on a door and run away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"Bowler" for dog.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Phrases like 'Mother O' God' 'Jesus Mary and Joseph' 'Please God' 'God Almighty' etc will probably die out from my mother's generation downwards. Younger people don't talk like that.

A more embellished version - 'Holy Mother of Sweet Divine Jesus' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Don't make me get the wooden spoon :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Gee, as in slang for vagina. I remember it caused a laugh in English class back in the 70s; one student was reading aloud and came across the American expression "gee" but not being used to US TV he only knew one way to pronounce it.
    Nowadays it's almost been totally replaced by pussy, and the use of pussy to refer to a cat has almost disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Haven't heard "gombeen" in ages. Or "brat" - now they all have ADHD.

Vita nova wrote: »
    Gee, as in slang for vagina. I remember it caused a laugh in English class back in the 70s; one student was reading aloud and came across the American expression "gee" but not being used to US TV he only knew one way to pronounce it.
    Nowadays it's almost been totally replaced by pussy, and the use of pussy to refer to a cat has almost disappeared.

Isn't geebag still used as a derogatory word for a woman now?

I still hear "gee" for vagina.... though in San Francisco last summer I met a woman who openly said "My name is Gee!"... assuming it's short for something... was just hoping she never visits Dublin uninformed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Don't make me get the wooden spoon :eek:

Even the mere threat of it got "I'm calling childline!!" Cue the parents 'Im calling parentline'.. we knew we had them by the bollix :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Cool story bro
    yore ma
    blast them with piss
    :D :mad:
    *awaits infraction PM*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Banjaxed
    Miller (a fast car)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

My grandparents use the word "gossan" not sure how you spell it, when they talk about a boy! "He's a grand gossan"

About 2 years ago my Granny had to go see a consultant in Dublin and when she was after meeting him I asked her what was he like. She replied "A bit of a dandyboy" :D

Blue850 wrote: »
    Banjaxed
    Miller (a fast car)

Banjaxed! I used that a few months ago and realised I was talking gibberish to my English fella! My parents say it all the time, in fact I was on the phone to my mother earlier when she started yelling for my da, the old dog had crapped herself again, and my mother said to me "Oh, sorry, I think Zara's banjaxed."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

"Janey Mack".

I still use it unknownst to myself but it it comes totally naturally to me.

If something unexpected happens to me my usual automatic response is "holy f*ck" or "bast*rd".

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

'minerals' to describe soft drinks

Sounds bang up to date.
    'Soda Pop' seems to be the one in decline these days.

Did you hear Mary down the road died. She died of a Thursday
    The funeral is of a Sunday

What did she die of?
    I said it already, she died of a Thursday

I don't know where this one came from, maybe some carryover like the "do be" from Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

coolaboola.

gotchie.

'heavens to Betsy'.
    Very useful phrase that just seems to have fallen out of use after years of fine service to the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

y2k

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

.... though in San Francisco last summer I met a woman who openly said "My name is Gee!"... assuming it's short for something... was just hoping she never visits Dublin uninformed.

I've known a few French girls called Fanny, who say that they get smiles when they introduce themselves over here. I suppose at one stage Fanny was also a common short name in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Sure it was in Enid Blython

Aunty Fanny and lashing and lashings of ginger ale :)

We all read those books
    They are deemed racist nowadays :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

jos28 wrote: »
    Remember the song - gic, gic, la, la, it's all down your leg gic gic,la la.......

HAHA My Dad sings that now and again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Don't really hear "hoor" anymore or "slapper".
    Another one was "arsewipe" that we used as kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

"Parched" as in being thirsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

tantidery ? My spelling of it might be wrong...

but basically it means junk/rubbish all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Flip. I met a lad I knew from a few years ago and he still says flip. It's so innocent, I love the man for it. I hadn't heard someone say flip in years. He says feck rather than fcuk and all. A flippin' hero.

I hear a lot of things that have been said in this thread all the time. A few stand out but most are very much in use so don't be disheartened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

another was gollywog it was also the name for an icepop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

*Sparkle* wrote: »
    My grandparents use the word "gossan" not sure how you spell it, when they talk about a boy! "He's a grand gossan"

About 2 years ago my Granny had to go see a consultant in Dublin and when she was after meeting him I asked her what was he like. She replied "A bit of a dandyboy" :D

Garsun? Pronouced Gor-soon

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Musha - musha god help her

Gonads - testicles

Dat's Raaahit - was it Pat Short or John Kenny?

Retarded - politicaly incorrect at this stage

Stinicker wrote: »
    Garsun? Pronouced Gor-soon

taken from the French word for boy I think and somehow used around Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

'it looks like a mad man's arse' - its ugly

'thrumpery' - useless stuff

'that aul gazebo' (pronounced gazaybo) - that foolish man

...maybe this is all just my mum and no one else ever uses these phrases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Very few ppl threaten to Burst their enemies these days.

Vita nova wrote: »
    I've known a few French girls called Fanny, who say that they get smiles when they introduce themselves over here. I suppose at one stage Fanny was also a common short name in Ireland.

I had a friend in school who's gran was "Fanny". She got some slagging when we were teenagers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Rambunctious.

I'll be using rambunctious this weekend I think.

Juxtaposition was put to good use last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus

• Advertisement

Very few ppl threaten to Burst their enemies these days.

My fella was told he'd be "burst with a box" a few months ago, down the local in Balbriggan.

I rarely hear "That's cat!" anymore too, but that might be cause I haven't lived in a rural area in some time.

supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus

Sure wasn't it only used earlier in this thread. Which IMO makes it overused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

humbert wrote: »
    Sure wasn't it only used earlier in this thread. Which IMO makes it overused.

My apologies...i didn't read the thread properly (my fault)....thank you for pointing out a stoopid irish man's mistakes

I had a friend in school who's gran was "Fanny". She got some slagging when we were teenagers!

Huh huh.. hey Beavis they said Fanny! Hey Fanny where's Dick? Huh huh

I rarely hear "That's cat!" anymore too

Nor its even more charming superlative, 'cat out'.

My apologies...i didn't read the thread properly (my fault)....thank you for pointing out a stoopid irish man's mistakes

Was just teasing. Also, I really hate that word and the movie it hails from.

humbert wrote: »
    Was just teasing. Also, I really hate that word and the movie it hails from.

'Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay, um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay'

Not a phrase you hear to often either. Tricky to fit into a regular conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

ScutterPullit, a favourite word of me Da's when he had a few pints on him to describe anyone under 10

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Stop the lights Bunny.
    We'll keep your CV on file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

Flibbertigibbet. Restless, talkative person.

Advertisement