Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words that you rarely hear any more...

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Spondulicks for wonga/dosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Another Dublin word - Scuttin' - an unauthorised lift on the back of a bread van or other vehicle.

Haha just reminded me, was telling a friend here in derry slang words we had when growing up. Had just told them "scutter" meaning diarrhoea and then said "scuttin" was hanging on to the back of a van or a bus. Of course they put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5 thinking we used to have diarrhetic shítes while hanging off the back of a bus!

Oh and when I was a kid "Smell of benjy" meant something totally different to what's being said here!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Elevenses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Bunched as in that food blender is bunched!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Balderdash, poppycock, fiddlesticks, bunkum, davenport, dresser, tunic, codswallop, codology all seem to have left the lexicon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Well when I was a kid me da would sometimes give me a "clip on the ear" or a "clout" , never did me an ounce of harm either I may add!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

deandean wrote: »
    Oh, bugger.
    I use this a lot ^ "oh bugger" and "bugger off".

I think the first time I said it I was young enough, about 8 or so. My mother chased me around the house. She still gets pissed off when I say it.
    coolbeans wrote: »
    Balderdash, poppycock, fiddlesticks, bunkum, davenport, dresser, tunic, codswallop, codology all seem to have left the lexicon.

Use these two, but not a lot. I'm sure I've used both on boards a few times.

Edit: Quick search, heres a random poppycock one -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60747345&postcount=84

And a random codswallop one -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75765346&postcount=34

With both of those searches I've seen quite a few others using them too actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

well holy God..

still use a lot of these myself

some peeps making a right hoo-hah (this my word of the week, havent said it in years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Baluba

British Bulldog - a no holds barred playground game

Wine or Wyne - a small cock...of hay!

DDT

Akster or Okster - under your arm, esp. when carrying something underarm

Brus - Turf dust

Buachalan - Ragwort plant

Piseog - rural form of witchcraft

Banabh - Piglet

Stripper - Milking cow

Creel - Turf carrying wicker basket

Fairy fort

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Ride me sideways was another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

"spend a penny. My bfs 2 yo old neice came out with that one the other day, no idea where she heard it first but was so cute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

GAAman wrote: »
    Haha just reminded me, was telling a friend here in derry slang words we had when growing up. Had just told them "scutter" meaning diarrhoea and then said "scuttin" was hanging on to the back of a van or a bus. Of course they put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5 thinking we used to have diarrhetic shítes while hanging off the back of a bus!

Oh and when I was a kid "Smell of benjy" meant something totally different to what's being said here!

Some of the 'scuttin' I witnessed as a kid would have had that effect alright, especially when they hopped on the wrong van. Saw a van one day heading out of Dublin and up the Howth road at about 50 mph with two lads on the back, petrified and slowly losing their grip. What a tumble they took. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

plámásing / plámáser

beour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Almaviva wrote: »
    'heavens to Betsy'.
    Very useful phrase that just seems to have fallen out of use after years of fine service to the English language.

I said that the other day and my wife nearly fell over laughing. She never heard it before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Buster. What a devastating insult that was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

****ehawk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

CommanderC wrote: »
    ****ehawk.

that one is still well used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"Like scutter from a goose" Anything that could move like lightening.

I drew a kick at the dog and he was out the door like scutter from a goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Janey Mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

"wire on ya".... it serves you right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

"Red bastárd". I vaguely remember that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

not "words".. but ye dont hear them musical car horns anympre so beloved of the '80s boy racers in their capris!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Plámás, or plaumaus, or however you spell it.

Advertisement