Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

council tenant "loneparent" cohabiting

Options
  • 18-05-2012 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

can anyone tell me the process, the council are investigating a "lone parent" as she is co-habiting and she was give the house because she was a single parent, what happens and what would the outcome be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i've heard more and more occurrences of this. i'm unaware of any potential penalties but himself will be moving out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rcdriver

she has already lied and said he doesn't live there so now the council are going to investigate......... can they definitely move him out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Re-assess rent based on their joint incomes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rcdriver

they are determined not to give that information and they don't want him down as a joint tenant as she'll lose her lone parent allowance, i'm hoping that the council can enforce somehow that they get this info or report her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Listen, two things will happen. She'll stop claiming OPFP (It's called One Parent Family Payment, NOT lone parents allowance) and he'll "officially" move in, they'll be assessed jointly then.

She'll be prosecuted for lying, but she probably won't lose the house because they council won't willingly make her homeless unless she's in serious rent arrears, or involved in anti social behaviour. She'll probably be moved onto a different social welfare payment such as Job Seekers, if she's not a loan parent. He'll stay away until the heat dies down and then will start staying over again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement