Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

young driver car insurance

• 18-05-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

hi lads

where do you guys recommend to go look for car insurance for a 21 yr old student starting off? i tried britton like some have recommended but got quptes of 2000+ euro.Any help at all would be much appreciated;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

Try XS Direct. Large excess on quotes but reflected by lower premiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ring britton. I did and saved got my 19 yo brother with no previous experience and on a provisional a quote of 1300 for the year. That was on a 07 Micra.

Ring everyone. It's the only way, and I emphasise the ring bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 clearycooper13

xs direct is 2000+ aswell it seems...its a weird one with britton a couple of weeks ago I done a 'mock' insurance quote and got around the same figure you said alainistrator but now im getting 2000+ quotes with literally the same details used

xs direct is 2000+ aswell it seems...its a weird one with britton a couple of weeks ago I done a 'mock' insurance quote and got around the same figure you said alainistrator but now im getting 2000+ quotes with literally the same details used

What car is it? But as I said, give them a call on Monday.

just d average 1L polo (99) , its weird alrite i chose them cos i heard here that theyre pretty good for young people,Ill try calling them i suppose

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

I'm 20 with 1 year ncb with axa, However the car was stolen so First Ireland couldnt give me a ncb this year:o

They quoted me 1000 on a 1.4 honda civic, which i thought was quite good considering they started me off with no ncb

give them a ring 018820800:D

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=first%20ireland&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CGAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.firstireland.ie%2F&ei=vIq2T47sBojRhAfV7-HgCA&usg=AFQjCNE06AcM4w0_knhmroikmN5fJ2An6g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Get the phone book out and ring every insurer/broker you can find. Dont bother with online quoting systems. This is the only way to find the cheapest quote; there is no magic answer as to which of them is going to be the cheapest.

Also expect high quotes starting out; its just a ****ty fact of life when starting out driving as a young male unfortunately. If the car is worth very little then you could go third party instead of fully comp; it would bring the price of the quote down but it means your own car is not covered by the policy.

how can the online quotes of 2000+ be much different to the quotes i get online though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

how can the online quotes of 2000+ be much different to the quotes i get online though

Youd be surprised. Online quoting systems take nothing into account other than the info you input, and you cant haggle with an online quoting system. Ive seen vast differences between online quotes and the quote I was given when I rang the same company.

Its well worth ringing around some brokers; they can often get you better quotes than what you will get from rining the insurers directly. Some may even have deals with insurers for new drivers such as yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Online quotes are designed to attract customers who fall into low risk catagories by offering them compeditive premiums. They are not designed for the likes of you who unfortunatley fall into a higher risk catagory where you are relatively young and have no driving experience. There is no short cut here, if you want the most competive price then you have to do the leg work and means getting on the phone.

Also everyone is different when it comes to insurance as it depends on your personal circumstances, where you live, etc. My insurance company is the cheapest for me but might be the most expensive for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

try your bank and see do they do insurance. I'm with ulster bank (under-writen by aviva) and they are by miles cheaper than any other company i could find. Started off at €1500 for a 98 1L polo with a provisional and no previous insurance. Went to 900 euro after 1 year and now down to 800 this year with 2 years no claims and 1 year full licence. Getting quotes of 1800 from other companies still though so might be worth your while trying your bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

try AXA Insurance , they have a scheme called student 1st = 20% cheaper that normal cover , off course T&C apply

if not going for that scheme , you may qualify for parent discount,credit union member or recommend a friend rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Liberty (Ex Quinn) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring everyone. It's the only way, and I emphasise the ring bit.
    This. An hour on the phone can save you literally hundreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Im 24, 25 next month. Im on my 3rd year with Britton and was with AXA my first year. AXA were cheap starting off on a 97 almera 1.4 at €1400 but jumped to €1600 the following year. Both quotes were TPFT. Changed to Brittons in October 2009 and went down to €800 when I was 22. In early December I changed car to a 05 hyundai coupe and the premium went up by only €200 but now including fully comp cover. By October 2010 it was time to renew and I had changed car to a 2005 golf tdi. Fully comp came in at €1800 with Britton. I shopped around and came back to Brittons with no proof of any quotes, just my word and they dropped to €1400 no questions asked. Fully comp with 3rd TPFP open insurance included free. By October 2011 I had changed to a 2008 passat 2.0 tdi 140bhp. Again same story, Brittons wanted €1800 again but told them I had been given another quote of €1300 and they dropped immediatly no qs asked. Driving a 2007 audi A3 2.0 tdi now and I changed over with no issue. Had my 19 year old girlfriend last year as a named driver for the year for a nominal fee of €30 too. Cant recommend Brittons highly enough. Sorry for the spiel but I hope it helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Do any of you know if a 20 yr old who has been a named driver for 3 yrs looses the benefits applying to that time once they are no longer a named driver. FBD seem to apply almost as much discount for time as a named driver as they do for a no claims discount on one's own policy.

The policy on which the 20yr old has been named expires today but they are not in a position to get their own policy for a couple of months. I am interested in hearing from people who have been in this position. FBD claim that the benefits are not lost but I do know of someone in a similiar position who did loose and had to pay as if they were a new driver.

Thanks

You already have a thread here.

And it depends on the insurance company. Ask them.

Closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

In before lock?:D

In before lock?:D

gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement