Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBT, old house, renovation & mortgage chances?

Options
  • 18-05-2012 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

My & oh are looking at buying a 3bed small house on half acre , location is perfect for us as both our families will remain close ,near dublin meath border, countyside setting and its rare when this happens in the area. Only thing is, the house has had a small bathroom extension/more of a 'lean to' at the rear which was not tied/built into the house fully, leaving a lovely crack the whole way thru!!i would assume that this extension never had planning, but have yet to see the site map. the only option for us would to knock it and rebuild, or knock it and use smallest bedroom as bathroom. my only concern is that this may cause me problems with mortgage approval , ie - when the banks valuer/SQ sees this and reports it as 'structural!! or watever, even though we are fully aware and prepared to have this corrected. would we have problems or refusal cos of this extension ?- any one getting mortgages recently as FTB for older house in need of TLC? we would only be looking to mortgage the house cost, and carry out the renovations required oursleves, as there is also elec's and heat to be upgraded.

all help appreicated!! thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

In our case, we didn't manage to get a mortgage but I got a Home Improvement loan for nearly the same amount shortly after buying the house... :confused: :rolleyes:
    The good news is if you manage to do that, you won't have to justify what you do with the loan. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 needahousenow!

Thanks for your reply, Im probally fighting a loosing battle from the off set here, but god loves a trier!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

When my mother bought a house in 2003 there was a kitchen built at the back without planning permission. She signed off in front of solitors to say that it was there when she bought it and that she would be exempt from any further legal issues. It might be an idea to do this,

Advertisement