Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Starts Next week

• 18-05-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭

After 2 months of what can only be described as pure misery on the weather front changes are afoot.
    As early as Monday things should be noticeably warmer and by the middle of next week we could be nudging heatwave territory with temps over 20C quite widely.
    Yes indeed folks, let's forget about Spring this year and straight to Summer :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yes big changes evolving on the models with a large area of high pressure developing to the Northeast and gentle East or Southeast winds becoming established. And because the flow is more of the continental type clear skies would be likely too. It's still evolving so a couple of days yet before anything to be really upbeat about. However low pressure might never be too far from the southwest Kerry and Cork regions. A rebel low!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭compsys

When even darkman is commenting on upcoming warm weather then you know things are really set to improve :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Absolutely brilliant news! Just in time for the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tweenie

Other years I would have felt sorry for LC and JC students if the weather was good. This year I JUST WANT WARM SUNNY WEATHER. I told my dh that I reckoned it would cheer them up to see the sun even if they are doing exams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

looks warm alright for a few days as long as you dont live in Kerry Cork Clare Galway Mayo and maybe Sligo and Donegal. The rest of ye get out yer sunglasses as 20c will feel very pleasant after this muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Should come as quite a shock to the system this change in airmass.
    Afterall it's been jackets weather all month, and now within a few days t-shirt weather and beach temps look the norm.
    With the Euro's on the way good grief we can almost think positive
    Next thing we'll know Greece will have won the lotto!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

excellent, it really is going to feel warmer especially here in the East where we have had daytime temperatures in the 6-12C range for past 6 weeks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I called this a few weeks ago fyi. Patterns were emerging long ago :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

ECMWF has a lot of cloud about for most of next week, as always the west coast getting most of it. Starts to clear towards the end of the week but never too far away so its far from a done deal that we'll see some good sunny weather. Temps should be around 20C though so a big improvement either way

66912253.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭John mac

as long as Dublinia gets good weather thats all that matters.. ;) (for the headlines in the papers anyway)

I dont mind as long a the temps rise a little and its mostly dry over here in the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its lookin good allright - nice to be able to shed some of the rain-gear, woolies etc. which have been getting too much of a run out in recent summers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I called this a few weeks ago fyi. Patterns were emerging long ago :pac:

just amazing you are! 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Boo

So I better enjoy the weather we have now while it lasts.

Now 3 months of hell with the occasional BBQ

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Tuesday-Saturday looks awesome. Low to Mid twenties for much of the midlands area, high teens and possibly low twenties for coastal regions. In terms of cloud cover it looks minimal through midweek. However from the weekend onwards there MIGHT be a breakdown. Current charts show the high being stubborn and leaving a low system hanging to our west, which will bring in showers and mid-high teens for at least the next 3-4 days. After that we might see a return to brighter weather.

Charts will evolve over the next 7 days, will be vital to see how it progesses as it will have a direct impact on the June bank holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

warm yes .

mid twenties certainly not

20 or 21 at best

pauldry wrote: »
    warm yes .

mid twenties certainly not

20 or 21 at best

I'll owe you a drink if it doesn't hit at least 24 over the coming week ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I'll owe you a drink if it doesn't hit at least 24 over the coming week ;)

I would be surprised if 24c is not reached later next week, particularly on Thursday. Yourself and Pauldry are well placed because it looks like the midlands and west will see the highest temps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Does look nice, but people beware.....we're now in prime sea fog / anticyclonic gloom territory, so don't be surprised if you see persistent low cloud along eastern and southern areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I'm with pauldry on this one. 22 being my max to be expected. I suppose its a start, much better than the crap we been having, break open the BBQ and Babysham:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

With the setup shown for later in the week - light east-southeasterly winds, slight subsidence inversion, good solar heating in the western half of the country, relatively dry ground, and 850 hPa temperatures around 10-11 °C - I estimate the maximum temperature possible to be around 24 °C - IF everything falls into place and cloud cover is minimal. Central and eastern Connaught would be in with the best chance.

Elsewhere, 18-20 °C, but 13-15 °C along windward coastal areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Su Campu wrote: »
    Does look nice, but people beware.....we're now in prime sea fog / anticyclonic gloom territory, so don't be surprised if you see persistent low cloud along eastern and southern areas.

Cork is likely to maintain it's lead in missing out on interesting/good weather this year so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Su Campu wrote: »
    With the setup shown for later in the week - light east-southeasterly winds, slight subsidence inversion, good solar heating in the western half of the country, relatively dry ground, and 850 hPa temperatures around 10-11 °C - I estimate the maximum temperature possible to be around 24 °C - IF everything falls into place and cloud cover is minimal. Central and eastern Connaught would be in with the best chance.

Elsewhere, 18-20 °C, but 13-15 °C along windward coastal areas.

Worth bearing in mind that we haven't seen temps above 14C in about 7 weeks so 24C will feel oven-like!
    Galway / Mayo looks best placed to me, salthill beach could be quite a nice place to be on Wed / Thurs.
    Thundery breakdown next wkd looks even money.

Anyway whatever happens it sure beats this wkd, another whopping 10C here all day, in the mist lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'll go crazy if it's a foggy cloudy humid mess in Waterford. We seem to have an awful lot of sea fog conditions near the coast here in the last year. When it's been crystal clear in other parts of the east coast, we've had low foggy cloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Worth bearing in mind that we haven't seen temps above 14C in about 7 weeks so 24C will feel oven-like!
    Galway / Mayo looks best placed to me, salthill beach could be quite a nice place to be on Wed / Thurs.
    Thundery breakdown next wkd looks even money.

Anyway whatever happens it sure beats this wkd, another whopping 10C here all day, in the mist lol

That sounds perfect i'm off thursday and friday,see you all in Salthill then!:cool::cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Trotter wrote: »
    I'll go crazy if it's a foggy cloudy humid mess in Waterford. We seem to have an awful lot of sea fog conditions near the coast here in the last year. When it's been crystal clear in other parts of the east coast, we've had low foggy cloud.

I bet we lag behind the rest for a day or two. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I would caution posters and lurkers against thinking Summer's coming and it's great from now on. On the contrary high pressure is likely to retrogress into the Atlantic and anchor with Greenland. This suggests a much cooler period in the medium term with winds mainly north or northeasterly after a thundery breakdown of any warmth next weekend.

In lay mans terms warm weather won't last beyond a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

A few days warmth will be a welcome break. My.only negative would be that its most likely going to be over working days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

'Sunny south east' .... my arse !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

darkman2 wrote: »
    I would caution posters and lurkers against thinking Summer's coming and it's great from now on. On the contrary high pressure is likely to retrogress into the Atlantic and anchor with Greenland. This suggests a much cooler period in the medium term with winds mainly north or northeasterly after a thundery breakdown of any warmth next weekend.

In lay mans terms warm weather won't last beyond a few days.

There's not a huge amount of evidence for that in this mornings charts, the ECMWF ensemblemittle for +240 hrs currently looks like this which would do me

Reem2402.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Warming up nicely in Cork, now 14.8C. Not a whole lot of sunshine though, just the odd break in the cloud. An improving picture from today onward hopefully!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement