Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Starts Next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

Rougies wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0528/irelanduklarge.jpg

I see smoke from a gorse fire (probably) on that satellite image. 10 points for anyone that can find it :)

Ha ha, would you believe!!!! This actually happened no more than 500 yards from my home. about 2 miles south of Athlone as the crow flies!
    It was a bog fire that started on sunday afternoon last.
    Fair play to everone involved in keeping the whole thing under control.
    Could have caused some serious damage to the adjoining peat bogs and local plantations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Sun finding it hard to break through the cloud in Castlebar atm.Warm and humid.
    I think only Ulster will see decent sunshine today - a lot of cloud has moved up from the south this morning.
    http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Interesting on the radio this morning the Met said temps would remain above average over the long wkd in the South and West.
    I wonder what charts tell them that as I see it getting decidedly chilly over the bank holiday ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I see Siobhan said Finner Co.Sligo in yesterdays 9pm forecast :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just on the edge of the sun coming through, everyone blow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Ohhh - just love a challange! :) Just to the SW of Newry?

Not the one I was talking about, but yeah that looks like one too, nicely spotted ;) No points I'm afraid.
    Wild Bill wrote: »
    Near the Shannon, half way between Athlone and Lough Derg?

Yup, that's the one I spotted. 10 points! About 1-2 miles SSW of Shannonbridge.

dryan wrote: »
    Ha ha, would you believe!!!! This actually happened no more than 500 yards from my home. about 2 miles south of Athlone as the crow flies!
    It was a bog fire that started on sunday afternoon last.
    Fair play to everone involved in keeping the whole thing under control.
    Could have caused some serious damage to the adjoining peat bogs and local plantations.

I think that's a different one to the one in the satellite photo, which is about 10 miles SSW of Athlone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A big change in the Forecast in 24 hours. Yesterday Met Eireann were saying Thursday was going to be mostly dry and Sunny for most. I was watching the lunchtime forecast on BBC and they have heavy rain for Thursday :eek: Its looking a bit ominous for the weekend. Hopefully no more downgrades.

206864.jpg

Your right mickger, but if you read my posts over the last few days I continued to question their forecasts as the charts were always showing a change to much cooler conditions.
    I will say one thing though for Cork it will be an improvement as we've had 14C and fog for the last few days so 17C and bright will feel pleasant for us poor sods!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tonydatiger

I knew it would never last !!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

raining in cork:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Your right mickger, but if you read my posts over the last few days I continued to question their forecasts as the charts were always showing a change to much cooler conditions.
    !

:confused: Being a chart watcher myself I can't really see what you are on about here. Looks to stay pretty much on the mild/warm side for a good while yet? While the longer term model trend does show a cool down it is way beyond a realistic time frame to be anyway confident about calling it. Not sure where the digs towards the met are coming from either, they have been pretty spot on in their forecasts during this spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

i really hope deep easterly is correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Guys anyone know how the bank holiday Monday is looking weather wise around Kildare?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

big drop in temperatures is on the way, temperatures over the weekend between 13 and 16C over Dublin, compared to 22C yesterday. Even BBC is only going for 15C over London at weekend so back to the winter clothing methinks. However things will still not be quite as bitter as they were previous to the recent warm spell of summer weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Chances of bright sunny weather over Rosslare for Friday and for Saturday?

I'm surprised at the lack of comment on developments over the last 24hours.
    The bank holuday weekend has taken quite a turn for the worse with Saturday now looking a washout for Southern parts. Indeed flooding a distinct possibility. On the plus side the cooler Northeasterly air never makes it so temps will hold up ok and indeed it could be warm in any sunshine. Rain and unsettled looks the menu though!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭smndly

Does anyone know where I can find what the highest recorded air temperature was in the country recorded by met eireann during the recent good weather?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I'm surprised at the lack of comment on developments over the last 24hours.
    The bank holuday weekend has taken quite a turn for the worse with Saturday now looking a washout for Southern parts. Indeed flooding a distinct possibility. On the plus side the cooler Northeasterly air never makes it so temps will hold up ok and indeed it could be warm in any sunshine. Rain and unsettled looks the menu though!

To early to call at this stage (Wednesday)
    A high over Iceland, a high over Biscay and large depression to the west all of which meet over Ireland. I'm no expert both there may be far too much there for the models to handle. So model watching past 24 hours may be pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

smndly wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find what the highest recorded air temperature was in the country recorded by met eireann during the recent good weather?

Thanks in advance!

Of the synoptic stations it was 27.8 °C at Shannon Airport last Friday. Someone on here said that their climatological station at Ardfert, Co. Kerry, got to 28.something on the same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Su Campu wrote: »
    Of the synoptic stations it was 27.8 °C at Shannon Airport last Friday. Someone on here said that their climatological station at Ardfert, Co. Kerry, got to 28.something on the same day.

Met Eireann climatological station in Ardfert got to 28.3 on Friday, 0.1 of the all time record of 28.4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Not having a go at Met Eireann but i'm just surprised at how forecasts for Thursday and the weekend have gone down hill in the last 24 to 48 hrs. On Monday after the European forecast here was the summary for the week ahead. Very different to what its looking like now.

207036.jpg

Siobhan Ryan seemed very optimistic for this coming wkd, with temps only down a fraction on recent values.

Hmm not sure about that, would think Northern parts will feel much much cooler post Thursday. At least Cork will be glorious :-)

Your right mickger, this is what I said 2 days ago!!

Well, as is quite often the case with Met Eireann they have jumped the bandwagon and decided to announce warm and sunny conditions for the rest of week. Without meaning to sound too critical they really do seem to react to the here and now. What I mean by this is they underegged the expected temps all week, which one or two of us here called!! Then we get a whopping 28C yesterday and there off, warm and sunny next week.

No Met Eireann, the correct forecast would be that this warm spell has peaked now and that temps will gradually retreat over the coming days. Still pleasant but with a notable breeze around today. Indeed tomorrow looks decidely cool for the southern half of the country

Jury still out on long wkd, should be dry with some sunshine but the warmth will be hard to achieve.

It's bewildering how amateurs like ourselves seem to be able to read the models better

And mickger this is what i said on the 26th.
    Now not looking to brag but who was more accurate ?

And mickger this is what i said on the 26th.
    Now not looking to brag but who was more accurate ?

As i said in my post this is not to have a go at Met Eireann as they do in general a very good job but i think the models left them down big time. Met Eireann use the models and this reflects in their forecasts. It looks like the models had it wrong a few days ago. These things happen but i'm surprised how such an about turn happened in more or less 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Its lashing rain here in Galway, agree with comments about the weather for the week ahead last Sunday, the only rain forecast was for a few showers in the North today. Look at the latest radar http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp its going to get very heavy tonight. Complete let down by Met Eireann forecast

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Its lashing rain here in Galway,

Erm, more than a slight exaggeration there Storm 10. It is making a few light spits. If anything, the met radar seems to be over-egging the intensity of the rain at the moment, at least over Galway.

NUIG readings confirm:

http://weather.nuigalway.ie/index.php

0.2mm in the last hour. Not my idea of 'lashing rain'. :rolleyes:

Edit: Mace Head reported 0.5mm in the last hour. 0.3mm here in Tuam over same period. Could be looking at some serious flash flooding issues if this keeps up.. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Anything to have a stab at Met Eireann, and it seems to be on the increase with one or two other posters in recent times too. Ah well, I suppose there's not much happening weatherwise so why not....

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Erm, more than a slight exaggeration there Storm 10. It is making a few light spits. If anything, the met radar seems to be over-egging the intensity of the rain at the moment, at least over Galway.

NUIG readings confirm:

http://weather.nuigalway.ie/index.php

0.2mm in the last hour. Not my idea of 'lashing rain'. :rolleyes:

Edit: Mace Head reported 0.5mm in the last hour. 0.3mm here in Tuam over same period. Could be looking at some serious flash flooding issues if this keeps up.. :eek:

Funny that I drove into Galway in the last hour and it was coming down heavy enough, had the wipers on fast. Also watched the weather forecast last Sunday and this was not what was forecast .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Coming down heavy enough in Castlebar at the moment, to be honest did not expect this rain

• Advertisement

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Funny that I drove into Galway in the last hour and it was coming down heavy enough, had the wipers on fast. Also watched the weather forecast last Sunday and this was not what was forecast .

Well since I live in the place I find that very funny alright. It is making a few dribbles, and the latest stats confirm this, and I'd trust these a little more than yours or Storm 10's observations.

As for the forecast, the reason forecasts change and are updated several times a day is because weather is near impossible to predict, especially the further out you go. Situations are evolving all the time and anyone, be it in a professional or amateur capacity, who attempt to predict the weather, know this. Blaming met eireann for getting a forecast wrong 4 of 5 days out is a bit of a cheap shot to be honest and smacks just a tad of ignorance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement