Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Starts Next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

The good weather forecast for this week seems to have been downgraded a fair bit by ME this morning with a huge amount more cloudy around for the upcoming week.

The BBC forecast it yesterday (I always find their short-range forecasts excellent for things like this) and many people alluded to it on here as well so I guess it was expected. It's so frustrating though. What do we need for a bit of warmth and sun, eh!?

On that note, could anyone explain to me why there'll be so much cloud around this week? I thought the winds were coming in from the continent so they'd be drier and warmer and therefore there'd be fairly sunny skies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

compsys wrote: »

On that note, could anyone explain to me why there'll be so much cloud around this week? I thought the winds were coming in from the continent so they'd be drier and warmer and therefore there'd be fairly sunny skies?

Its your location that's the issue I think, east coast much cloudier and wetter than the west in recent weeks with the airflow coming from east/north off the Irish Sea. The sea temps are still near their lowest at this time of year.

The media are total twonks - Newstalk exclaiming heatwave this week! Might as well be called NewsMail

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

compsys wrote: »
    The good weather forecast for this week seems to have been downgraded a fair bit by ME this morning with a huge amount more cloudy around for the upcoming week.

Heard the ME forecast on radio just before 1pm and sounded like east and north will fair a lot better now that south and west - a lot of cloud and drizzle for the west - sunny and 20c+ for the east with southerly winds. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

yea met farming forcast looks very good for the east and north mid to low 20 for mid week onwards :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Just like to say that the GFS is showing a shapely and classic Azores High out in FI for the bank holdiday weekend. I like looking at shapely ones. :D

gfs-0-336.png?6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Heard the ME forecast on radio just before 1pm and sounded like east and north will fair a lot better now that south and west - a lot of cloud and drizzle for the west - sunny and 20c+ for the east with southerly winds. :D

Mmmh. Let's hope so :o

This all looks like a repeat of early March though, when we had dull, cloudy weather for what felt like weeks on end despite the fact that 'some sunshine' was forecast each day. Every day turned out really cloudy though, with absolutely no sun, but sunshine always forecast for 'the next day'.

Yesterday ME were forecasting good sunny spells today (the BBC weren't) and look what got today..

BBC still showing a fair amount of cloud for Dublin/Ireland over the next few days. I'm not slagging ME but I think the BBC are that bit better at getting the more specific details right. I won't get out the sun cream just yet...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2964574

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Wednesday evening through to Friday looks like the best time for more widespread sunshine at the moment, staying mostly cloudy along the coast and in the south west in particular

Temps widely above 20C on Thursday and Friday

65534252.png

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Converse86

Break out the BBQ !! And cut the grass quick !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It's downgraded a little but not too much.
    Even today which is pbly going to be the coldest day of the week it felt quite warm at times.
    What will be the most noticeable thing really will be how much warmer it will feel compared to the bitterness of the last few weeks.
    Also plenty room for upgrades, it would only need a little nudge to leave us in heatwave territory and all in all very pleasant:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Thursday looking good

12052412_2012.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

ME has 24c promised for Donegal on Friday so 23c in Sligo probably. Then High moves North a bit and Low move up from the South with thunder for the following week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

just got home from nerja yesterday and i get a forecast of another week of sun, probably not as much cos i'm sure there'll be cloud at some stage, or as warm as i got last week, but its all good :D

According to the weather forecast it supposed to be thick fog down here this morning!

/sun splitting stones....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

mike65 wrote: »
    According to the weather forecast it supposed to be thick fog down here this morning!

/sun splitting stones....

Sounds like your disappointed?

Hardly! I want warm (not hot) sun for the rest of the summer. Just have to laugh at the forecasters. I guess there might have been some mist at 6 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Cloudy with spots of drizzle in Cork.... summer has definitely arrived then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

303333_10150977855811718_631736717_12606295_719030662_n.jpg

Yup... that is the sun... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

16.7C already here, mostly cloudy but already the warmest day since late March

Not a bad time to have my last ever college exam :cool: Free to enjoy the sunshine for the rest of the week/summer now assuming the likely probability that I won't find a job any time soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

17.0c at Mullingar, Gurteen & Oak Park on the met.ie noon reports. The last time 17.0c was reached at these stations was on the 29th March last!! :eek:

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

17.0c at Mullingar, Gurteen & Oak Park on the met.ie noon reports. The last time 17.0c was reached at these stations was on the 29th March last!! :eek:

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

2011 or 2012...?

so nice to be able to feel warmth... :D

• Advertisement

Summer has definitely arrived here. Sunny with clear blue skies, 17.1c atm. Can see quite a lot of cloud to my west.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

The sun is doing it's best to break through the clouds, a brief glimmer here and there is all it's managing though. Still, 15.6C, higher than most of the last 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Beautiful day in Dalkey, clear blue skies. SE sea breeze cooling things down a bit but it was expected. Don't have a thermometer but I'd say its about 13/14 degrees in the shade. Pleasant and warmer in the sun obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

17.1c here now despite the 7/8 cloud cover. Feels a lot warmer and more pleasant than the 19c I got earlier in the month as more humid this time around.

73% RH / 6 kts -G 14 Kts SW backing SSW / 1010.1 hPa steady

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Drizly rain in West Cork:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Getting 22.8 c I think its too near the roof of the neighbours shed and will be getting moved soon , but still its lovely out there today !

Its the "nicest" day of the year so far in Waterford, I think I can say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭eimearos

My app telling me it's currently 18c in Waterford feels like it too great day for sun bathing :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

21/05/2012 14:00 22.2 °C 64 % 1012.8 hPa 0.0 mm 1.6 km/h (1 Bft)

obviously needs more shade but still very pleasant to be out in it mind finners at 17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Miserable day in Cork City, 12c and drizzle according to met.ie and feels like it too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement