Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Starts Next week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

WEB_sat_ir_irl.jpg

oh so that's a cloudless ireland is like :D:D

despite being sick with an ear infection, i managed to hang out in the glorious sunshine today. it was lovely.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Still 23C in Valentia at 10pm.
    These type of days do not come around too often and it could well be the hottest day of the year. Going by memory I dont think the temp got above 23C last year

The outlook for June weekend is still not known. GFS says heatwave part 2, whilst the others are half way

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

28.7C recorded in Oranmore weather station, Galway today!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

What are we looking at tomorrow then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

t|nt|n wrote: »
    What are we looking at tomorrow then ?

Young ladies wearing little

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Zephyr!

Ain't that what the poor Greeks called a west wind :rolleyes:!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Young ladies wearing little

If you were a horse you'd need blinkers.

Don't drive while the heat lasts! You'll kill someone :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

26.1c in Sligo today.

Warmest day in a couple of years.

Last year we got 23s and 24 once

Year before 24

Maybe 25 in 2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I got sunburned a little today, even with suncream on - result!
    I will probably get cancer and wrinkly skin when I am older, but right now with the power of beer and [relative] youth i dont care.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Valentia is still at 22C at 1am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Valentia is still at 22C at 1am!
    Unbelievable !
    I don't think I've ever seen a temperature as high as that at night before?

20C still at 3am in Valentia. Would be nice to have some minimum record stats to compare with.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Anybody know what was the max temp recorded last year in Ireland?

I'm pretty sure that was exceeded yesterday.....and it's not even summer yet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Unbelievable !
    I don't think I've ever seen a temperature as high as that at night before?

i pretty sure the summer of 2008 temperatures did get up that high at night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Anybody know what was the max temp recorded last year in Ireland?

Answering my own question - must be a sign of madness! :)

Top temps for 2011 were:

26.0 Cavan (Drumconnick) Co. Cavan 3rd Jun
    26.0 Athy Co. Kildare 3rd Jun
    25.7 Phoenix Park Co. Dublin 28th Sep
    25.5 Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny 3rd Jun
    25.5 Oak Park Co. Carlow 3rd Jun
    25.5 Derrygreenagh, Co.Offaly 3rd Jun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

According to the forecast bulletin on radio 1 temperatures in Valentia did not fall below 18° c.

Subtle changes on the way next week with it turning a good deal fresher.
    The June wkd is still looking quite nice but maxes at that stage will be more 16-19C.

Meanwhile for the remainder of the wkd, the Northwest is most definatly best. If I had to pick a spot i'd say Westport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Jpmarn wrote: »
    According to the forecast bulletin on radio 1 temperatures in Valentia did not fall below 18° c.

The minimum was 18.1 C

Well, as is quite often the case with Met Eireann they have jumped the bandwagon and decided to announce warm and sunny conditions for the rest of week. Without meaning to sound too critical they really do seem to react to the here and now. What I mean by this is they underegged the expected temps all week, which one or two of us here called!! Then we get a whopping 28C yesterday and there off, warm and sunny next week.

No Met Eireann, the correct forecast would be that this warm spell has peaked now and that temps will gradually retreat over the coming days. Still pleasant but with a notable breeze around today. Indeed tomorrow looks decidely cool for the southern half of the country

Jury still out on long wkd, should be dry with some sunshine but the warmth will be hard to achieve.

It's bewildering how amateurs like ourselves seem to be able to read the models better

Well, as is quite often the case with Met Eireann they have jumped the bandwagon and decided to announce warm and sunny conditions for the rest of week.

???

That's not what I heard Evelyn forecast this morning at 7.55 on RTE.

Forecast for tomorrow and outlook from ME:

Sunday
    Warm and sunny over Leinster, Ulster and Connacht with highs of 18 to 23 degrees.
    Becoming generally cloudier across Munster with scattered outbreaks of rain and highs here of 15 to 20 degrees.
    Light easterly breezes.

Outlook
    Next week is going to stay pretty warm with maximum temperatures typically 17 to 21 degrees.
    Winds will be from a mainly southeasterly direction, fresh at times giving good drying.
    Sunshine amounts will be variable but all areas will get warm sunny intervals through the week.
    Cloud will build at times leading to local showers and possibly some heavy, thundery downpours but these will be the exception.

Not quite the same as 'warm and sunny conditions for the rest of week'.

• Advertisement

Well, as is quite often the case with Met Eireann they have jumped the bandwagon and decided to announce warm and sunny conditions for the rest of week. Without meaning to sound too critical they really do seem to react to the here and now. What I mean by this is they underegged the expected temps all week, which one or two of us here called!! Then we get a whopping 28C yesterday and there off, warm and sunny next week.

No Met Eireann, the correct forecast would be that this warm spell has peaked now and that temps will gradually retreat over the coming days. Still pleasant but with a notable breeze around today. Indeed tomorrow looks decidely cool for the southern half of the country

Jury still out on long wkd, should be dry with some sunshine but the warmth will be hard to achieve.

It's bewildering how amateurs like ourselves seem to be able to read the models better
    C'mon, you know that's rubbish. They had forecast up to 26 yesterday, which was bang on over the whole country. Just one location was warmer, but overall their forecast was correct, and I really don't know how or why you would say they were wrong or how you know more than they do. Forecasting isn't just reading models you know.

And as Docarch has pointed out, you are misquoting their forecast for the coming week anyway.

Ok maybe a tad unfair on the Met, but I still hold my view that the here and now influences their forecast. Anyway back on topic it is very wild down in Cork today, wind close on gale force, certainly gale gusts

but I still hold my view that the here and now influences their forecast.

But you were basing that opinion on the fact that you said they were forecasting a warm and sunny week ahead, which we've shown they haven't.

Give them the credit they deserve. They don't get carried away with the here and now, they forecast what they see is the most likely scenario. And 9 times out of 10 they are correct.

You are right about the gale gusts though. 40 knots gust at Sherkin Island. The wind's really taking the edge off the temperatures along the east coast too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Waterford minimum last night 18.2°C

No wonder I was feeling a bit hot and bothered!

Similar here in Cork Mike, minimum of 18.1C and already up to 22.0C. The humidity is much lower today though, just 54% at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

The 18.1 min last night was a record breaker alright for Valentia during the month of May - and by some margin. Previous record was 15.8c which was recorded on the 16th May 1952.

It isn't an annual record though, the maximum minimum (if that makes sense!) at Valentia was set on the 4th August 1995 when temp did not drop below 19.5c.

Source from http://eca.knmi.nl/

@Wild Bill, in literature and poetry, a warm evening wind from any direction is referred to as a Zephyr.

Edit: 24c at Valentia and Bellmullet on noon reports:

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

The 18.1 min last night was a record breaker alright for Valentia during the month of May - and by some margin. Previous record was 15.8c which was recorded on the 16th May 1952.

It isn't an annual record though, the maximum minimum (if that makes sense!) at Valentia was set on the 4th August 1995 when temp did not drop below 19.5c.

Source from http://eca.knmi.nl/

Cheers for that. It would make sense for the highest minima to be recorded later in summer when SSTs are nice and high. Still, exceptional weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭compsys

Well perhaps some perspective on this is also needed.

If you live around the Dublin region (most populated part of the country) temperatures have only been around 20 or 21 degrees all week. So for us, next week's temperatures are looking quite similar to this week's (albeit slightly cooler and cloudier).

So for us, next week isn't going to be that much different than this week from what I can tell. This may be why they are forecasting 'more of the same' for next week (although they aren't really if you actually read the forecast properly).

For the rest of the country, yes, next week will feel a lot cooler, but not for those in most of Leinster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

An overnight Low in Waterford City of 14.5c.

Currently stunning blue skies with a temp of 22.4c. A moderate Easterly has gusted to 47km/h

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

28.3C recorded at Ardfert Co. Kerry yesterday, just 0.1C off equalling the all time record

25.3C here at the moment, my back garden is totally sheltered from the wind so no noticeable difference to yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement